500 Madness

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fiat 500 Revealed!

Thanks
    I don’t know much but that guy seems out of touch with what the purchasers of a 500 would like to see.
    Providing your a fan of the 500 like we are.
    He seems to just ramble blah blah blah to me.

ScottDVC

Thanks
    i like the classic styling with the upgraded interior. this a well put together package. knowing everything on it is old, so you know they can sell it cheap. i'll be trading mine in.

Thanks
    Been a long time to post here but reading this news the other day kind of made me happy. Once my new car gets paid off I would be looking for a new daily driver and retire the current one. It kind of makes me happy they're putting the good engine in the base models. Was just going to pick up a pop or something for putzing around in. But if I can slap a neuf single exit on there, EC intake/tune and putz around in a little rocket again, well, thats even better. I like this change they made. Oly thing is i think the trans might be different unless they're basically throwing the whole detuned abarth drivetrain in there too.
    2016 Ceramic Metallic MX-5 w/ Brembo/BBS

Quote Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
    Been a long time to post here but reading this news the other day kind of made me happy. Once my new car gets paid off I would be looking for a new daily driver and retire the current one. It kind of makes me happy they're putting the good engine in the base models. Was just going to pick up a pop or something for putzing around in. But if I can slap a neuf single exit on there, EC intake/tune and putz around in a little rocket again, well, thats even better. I like this change they made. Oly thing is i think the trans might be different unless they're basically throwing the whole detuned abarth drivetrain in there too.

This is the drivetrain from the 500T, and gets the same transmission as the Abarth. The Auto is calibrated differently.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Is it too late to say thank you fiat for being more power and backup camera ��

Quote Originally Posted by neubauerjoseph View Post
    Is it too late to say thank you fiat for being more power and backup camera ��

I don't think so! I'm sure they are always happy to get a thumbs up.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    This is the drivetrain from the 500T, and gets the same transmission as the Abarth. The Auto is calibrated differently.
    Will it have the e-diff that the abarth had? Dont remember if the 500T had that as a feature or not. Will the auto have a less performance oriented tuning or will it be similar to the abarth auto tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
    Will it have the e-diff that the abarth had? Dont remember if the 500T had that as a feature or not. Will the auto have a less performance oriented tuning or will it be similar to the abarth auto tuning?
    No, the 2018 500 and the earlier 500T do not have TTC. Like all 500s, it does have traction control though, which does work like a like a limited slip differential in slippery conditions (increases torque-bias in differential). All North American 500s have what is called Advanced Traction Control compared to the European cars. The TTC is set up for performance driving such as power on cornering.

The calibration engineer gave me an example of this and told me the car will know if you are on a slippery surface and just trying to get/keep going as opposed to hard cornering with large throttle inputs.

The transmission calibrations are not as aggressive as the Abarth's.

Here's a post from a thread on the differences between the 500T and the 500 Abarth:

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    It is and it isn't the same. Think of the 500T as a Sport with more power. As everyone knows it uses the same engine and trans as the Abarth, but with the suspension of the Sport. Obviously, everything could be changed over to Abarth specs, but the cars do have quite a few unique differences that would need to be addressed.

Besides the engine calibrations and the trim changes, here are some other differences between the 500 Abarth and the 500T:

• 40 percent stiffer spring rate and 0.6- inch (15 mm) lower ride height.
    • Abarth-designed cast iron front-lower control arms for improved lateral stiffness.*
    • Increased negative camber to -1.5 degrees.
    • Dual-valve Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) KONI front Struts.
    • 40 percent more torsionally rigid rear axle with strengthened coil-spring supports.
    • A 0.87-inch (22 mm) Abarth-specific solid rear-stabilizer bar.
    • 20 percent stiffer rear springs with 0.6-inch (15 mm) lower ride.
    • Abarth features a 15.1:1 (up from 16.3:1) steering-gear ratio for 10 percent quicker steering.
    • Uniquely tuned electronic power steering (EPS) calibration for increased steering response and feedback.
    • Abarth-tuned ESC system features a three-mode calibration to maximize handling capabilities on and off the track. When ESC is selected from “On” to “Partial Off” or “Full Off” on the instrument panel, the 500 Abarth’s Torque Transfer Control (TTC) system maximizes throttle performance during on-throttle cornering.

*The 500T may also have the cast iron arms. Have to check. * This is confirmed.

More intersting threads on the 500T differences:
    http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/tags....500t+vs+abarth

Thanks
    I lament the loss of choices but all things considered, I think FCA made the right moves considering the state of market now- more power and more content for a slightly (we hope) increased price will hopefully boost sales. What caught my ear was the mention of 400 sales outlets- that's almost double what they had previously. Hopefully CDJR dealers have had some sort of training selling FIAT's- it's a whole different ballgame than selling a Ram or Durango and maybe that number of outlets will increase further and help sales. In the fun per dollar department the 500 is almost impossible to beat. My two big worries are 1. CDJR dealers may totally neglect FIAT- you would have to sell several 500's to equal the sales commission of just one loaded Ram, leading to few FIATs on the lot to choose from and not much of an attempt to sell them. 2. The loss of the normally aspirated engine and with that, MPG. 500 owners I've met cover the gamut from those interested in great MPG to those interested in outright performance. A Pop with a normally aspirated engine and a manual will easily break 40 mpg on the highway. My '13 Sport because of its (iirc) different tranny ratios it's a little tougher but doable ... both are really efficient cars. The turbos, not so much and those looking for really good mpg's may look elsewhere now that the normally aspirated motor is no longer available. In some ways I think I've got the best of both worlds- great handling (the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ have made a huge difference) and great mpg's.
    Last edited by rustbucket; 02-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rustbucket For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
    500 owners I've met cover the gamut from those interested in great MPG to those interested in outright performance. A Pop with a normally aspirated engine and a manual will easily break 40 mpg on the highway. My '13 Sport because of its (iirc) tranny ratios it's a little tougher but doable ... both are really efficient cars. The turbos, not so much and those looking for really good mpg's may look elsewhere now that the normally aspirated motor is no longer available. In some ways I think I've got the best of both worlds- great handling (the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ have made a huge difference) and great mpg's.
    This was my first thought when I read the news. It harked back to my abarth and how I was really only getting low 30s if I tried and drove the car like a grandma. If I drove it like a normal person, barely cracked 30. Now Ive read of guys geting high mpgs in the abarth, but they were far from the norm. And if the manual is the same as the abarth, then I cant see the mpgs being what you would have gotten from the older NA 500. Automatic might be different but cant see that hitting upwards of 40 either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ophidia31 For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (04-21-2018)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast