500 Madness

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: 2018 Fiat 500 Revealed!

Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    Fiat's toughest North American critics have cited reliability as their chief concern, not power. And it seems that going all-in on Turbo only makes the 500 as temperamental as the Abarth.

So does this support Fiat's rumored North American exit strategy within the next few years? Get rid of proprietary North American components and ship the rest to 595/695 manufacturing facilities?
    No
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

Thanks

best value for the money

Quote Originally Posted by 500ways View Post
    By the time the 18s roll into the lots, other makers will be readying their 19s. It's a mess.
    i really don't care, i think it's one of the best packages they put together for the 500. it's cheaper then when the turbo came out. nice little runner to add to your stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    Fiat's toughest North American critics have cited reliability as their chief concern, not power. And it seems that going all-in on Turbo only makes the 500 as temperamental as the Abarth.

So does this support Fiat's rumored North American exit strategy within the next few years? Get rid of proprietary North American components and ship the rest to 595/695 manufacturing facilities?
    Abarth's are no more temperamental than any of the other cars. The 500 Turbo has 135hp compared to 160hp for the Abarth for what it's worth, so it will be less stressed. Feedback from potential buyers frequently mentioned power as a concern. The Euro car compared to ours, outside of the visual facelift, is missing a lot of refinement and features that our market expects and demands. Some of the things we have here may not be the problem. For example, the sieskirts that some complain about are identical (down to the adhesive used) to what is used in Europe, yet they don't have the complaints in Europe that we have here. Why? Is it expectations or better technicians in Europe that don't wreck the skirts? I have no idea.

Abarths 595s are made in Poland, alongside the regular 500. If we get the new car, it makes sense to be built in Tychy to consolidate assembly lines, so we may wind up getting rid of the NAFTA suppliers anyway. Easier aftermarket tuning and hp potential aside, the MultiAir Turbo (which originally came in the Alfa MiTo and Abarth Punto EVO) has advantages. Our engine could also have more power in the US, but thank EPA regulations for keeping our power down. The new 500 will get the new modular engine family that features a 3 cylinder turbo among others, so who knows what the hp will ultimately be. We'll have to wait and see.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SportLaserBlu View Post
    i really don't care, i think it's one of the best packages they put together for the 500. it's cheaper then when the turbo came out. nice little runner to add to your stable.
    I agree that it's a great package. I originally owned a Sport and then bought a T. I still have the T and love it! Now they will all be the T for less money. Win-win.

I just wish they had come to market on a timely basis.
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 500ways For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Abarth's are no more temperamental than any of the other cars. The 500 Turbo has 135hp compared to 160hp for the Abarth for what it's worth, so it will be less stressed. Feedback from potential buyers frequently mentioned power as a concern. The Euro car compared to ours, outside of the visual facelift, is missing a lot of refinement and features that our market expects and demands. Some of the things we have here may not be the problem. For example, the sieskirts that some complain about are identical (down to the adhesive used) to what is used in Europe, yet they don't have the complaints in Europe that we have here. Why? Is it expectations or better technicians in Europe that don't wreck the skirts? I have no idea.

Abarths 595s are made in Poland, alongside the regular 500. If we get the new car, it makes sense to be built in Tychy to consolidate assembly lines, so we may wind up getting rid of the NAFTA suppliers anyway. Easier aftermarket tuning and hp potential aside, the MultiAir Turbo (which originally came in the Alfa MiTo and Abarth Punto EVO) has advantages. Our engine could also have more power in the US, but thank EPA regulations for keeping our power down. The new 500 will get the new modular engine family that features a 3 cylinder turbo among others, so who knows what the hp will ultimately be. We'll have to wait and see.
    Great points. Temperamental was probably the wrong word. Abarth Owners tend to push harder thus rising engine measurements higher than typical POP or Sport Owners.

IMHO, Fiat's primary NA obstacle is going to be hard to overcome. North America simply does not take Fiat seriously no matter what features they implement or how low they price it. Not like Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, Volvo, much less the Japanese Cars. To make the circumstance worse, Fiat is restricted to the shrinking ultra-competitive Sub-Compact market, a US market dominated by the Japanese for 50 years and that's not going to change. And Fiat's X cannibalizes it's own sister SUV Jeep Renegade so little profit there

In the US, Fiat is up against a Rock & A Hard Place . . no other way to put it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7