500 Madness
 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: 2018 Fiat 500 Revealed!

  1. #61
    Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 299 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    Fiat's toughest North American critics have cited reliability as their chief concern, not power. And it seems that going all-in on Turbo only makes the 500 as temperamental as the Abarth.

    So does this support Fiat's rumored North American exit strategy within the next few years? Get rid of proprietary North American components and ship the rest to 595/695 manufacturing facilities?
    No
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    best value for the money

    Quote Originally Posted by 500ways View Post
    By the time the 18s roll into the lots, other makers will be readying their 19s. It's a mess.
    i really don't care, i think it's one of the best packages they put together for the 500. it's cheaper then when the turbo came out. nice little runner to add to your stable.

  3. #63
    Amministratore Fiat500USA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,032
    Thanks
    5,897
    Thanked 5,643 Times in 3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    Fiat's toughest North American critics have cited reliability as their chief concern, not power. And it seems that going all-in on Turbo only makes the 500 as temperamental as the Abarth.

    So does this support Fiat's rumored North American exit strategy within the next few years? Get rid of proprietary North American components and ship the rest to 595/695 manufacturing facilities?
    Abarth's are no more temperamental than any of the other cars. The 500 Turbo has 135hp compared to 160hp for the Abarth for what it's worth, so it will be less stressed. Feedback from potential buyers frequently mentioned power as a concern. The Euro car compared to ours, outside of the visual facelift, is missing a lot of refinement and features that our market expects and demands. Some of the things we have here may not be the problem. For example, the sieskirts that some complain about are identical (down to the adhesive used) to what is used in Europe, yet they don't have the complaints in Europe that we have here. Why? Is it expectations or better technicians in Europe that don't wreck the skirts? I have no idea.

    Abarths 595s are made in Poland, alongside the regular 500. If we get the new car, it makes sense to be built in Tychy to consolidate assembly lines, so we may wind up getting rid of the NAFTA suppliers anyway. Easier aftermarket tuning and hp potential aside, the MultiAir Turbo (which originally came in the Alfa MiTo and Abarth Punto EVO) has advantages. Our engine could also have more power in the US, but thank EPA regulations for keeping our power down. The new 500 will get the new modular engine family that features a 3 cylinder turbo among others, so who knows what the hp will ultimately be. We'll have to wait and see.

    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

  4. #64
    Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 299 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportLaserBlu View Post
    i really don't care, i think it's one of the best packages they put together for the 500. it's cheaper then when the turbo came out. nice little runner to add to your stable.
    I agree that it's a great package. I originally owned a Sport and then bought a T. I still have the T and love it! Now they will all be the T for less money. Win-win.

    I just wish they had come to market on a timely basis.
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 500ways For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (06-12-2018), rustbucket (07-16-2018)

  6. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Abarth's are no more temperamental than any of the other cars. The 500 Turbo has 135hp compared to 160hp for the Abarth for what it's worth, so it will be less stressed. Feedback from potential buyers frequently mentioned power as a concern. The Euro car compared to ours, outside of the visual facelift, is missing a lot of refinement and features that our market expects and demands. Some of the things we have here may not be the problem. For example, the sieskirts that some complain about are identical (down to the adhesive used) to what is used in Europe, yet they don't have the complaints in Europe that we have here. Why? Is it expectations or better technicians in Europe that don't wreck the skirts? I have no idea.

    Abarths 595s are made in Poland, alongside the regular 500. If we get the new car, it makes sense to be built in Tychy to consolidate assembly lines, so we may wind up getting rid of the NAFTA suppliers anyway. Easier aftermarket tuning and hp potential aside, the MultiAir Turbo (which originally came in the Alfa MiTo and Abarth Punto EVO) has advantages. Our engine could also have more power in the US, but thank EPA regulations for keeping our power down. The new 500 will get the new modular engine family that features a 3 cylinder turbo among others, so who knows what the hp will ultimately be. We'll have to wait and see.
    Great points. Temperamental was probably the wrong word. Abarth Owners tend to push harder thus rising engine measurements higher than typical POP or Sport Owners.

    IMHO, Fiat's primary NA obstacle is going to be hard to overcome. North America simply does not take Fiat seriously no matter what features they implement or how low they price it. Not like Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, Volvo, much less the Japanese Cars. To make the circumstance worse, Fiat is restricted to the shrinking ultra-competitive Sub-Compact market, a US market dominated by the Japanese for 50 years and that's not going to change. And Fiat's X cannibalizes it's own sister SUV Jeep Renegade so little profit there

    In the US, Fiat is up against a Rock & A Hard Place . . no other way to put it.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mangavideo For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (07-15-2018)

  8. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 56 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    Great points. Temperamental was probably the wrong word. Abarth Owners tend to push harder thus rising engine measurements higher than typical POP or Sport Owners.

    IMHO, Fiat's primary NA obstacle is going to be hard to overcome. North America simply does not take Fiat seriously no matter what features they implement or how low they price it. Not like Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, Volvo, much less the Japanese Cars. To make the circumstance worse, Fiat is restricted to the shrinking ultra-competitive Sub-Compact market, a US market dominated by the Japanese for 50 years and that's not going to change. And Fiat's X cannibalizes it's own sister SUV Jeep Renegade so little profit there

    In the US, Fiat is up against a Rock & A Hard Place . . no other way to put it.
    I agree, I think US Fiat should be making cars that fit people wants, Also I would like to know when is Fiat going to update their website and list the 2018 Fiat 500?
    Last edited by neubauerjoseph; 07-15-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: grammer errors

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to neubauerjoseph For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (07-15-2018)

  10. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neubauerjoseph View Post
    I agree, I think US Fiat should be making cars that fit people wants
    The US Fiat makes the Stelvio Quadrifoglio. Isn't it the car that fits people wants?

  11. #68
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenze View Post
    The US Fiat makes the Stelvio Quadrifoglio. Isn't it the car that fits people wants?
    Another Obstacle for Fiat is country of Origin. IMHO, like it's subsidiary Ferrari but to a much lesser degree, in the US, Fiat & Alfa are viewed as exotic Italian imports not designed for Mass Consumer Daily Drivers.

    I love the Quadrifoglio QV. I think it's the most desirable Sedan made and I'd have it ahead of Ferrari's California T. I brought it up in a FB Conversation vs. the M3 and the first thing the Pro M3 crowd threw at me was the supposed $1200/20K Maintenance implying that it was due to it being Italian designed exotic car, yet they neglected to mention BMW's own High running cost.

  12. #69
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    I brought it up in a FB Conversation vs. the M3 and the first thing the Pro M3 crowd threw at me was the supposed $1200/20K Maintenance implying that it was due to it being Italian designed exotic car, yet they neglected to mention BMW's own High running cost.
    You can show this link to them. https://jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are...***-1784684330

    The 14k Fiat 500 looks more reliable than the $68k "ultimate driving machine".
    The Lincoln Town Car will probably run up to 500,000 miles without major repairs.
    Last edited by Vincenze; 07-24-2018 at 03:42 PM.

  13. #70
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    293
    Thanked 286 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post
    I brought it up in a FB Conversation vs. the M3 and the first thing the Pro M3 crowd threw at me was the supposed $1200/20K Maintenance implying that it was due to it being Italian designed exotic car, yet they neglected to mention BMW's own High running cost.
    Fanboys gonna fanboy.

    I see only one reason to buy an M3 over the Giulia... and it's a big one for some of us weirdos. Manual transmission. Until you can get a manual Giulia outside of Italy I'd still have to take the M3. Good thing I don't have super-sedan money, saves me from having to make such difficult decisions.

    Buying an M-car for low cost of maintenance is like ordering a veggie pizza because you are watching your weight.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fiat 500X Revealed!
    By wilbmeister in forum Fiat 500X
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM
  2. New Fiat Concept Revealed
    By Sales@roadrace in forum Road Race Motorsports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 12:06 AM
  3. New Fiat and Chrysler Logo Revealed!
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat500USA.com Articles and Story Comments
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 11:32 AM
  4. Fiat 500e Pricing Revealed!
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat 500e
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  5. New Fiat 500L Revealed in Geneva
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat500USA.com Articles and Story Comments
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •