Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Glad you found it. Don't tease us with that Alfa! We've got to see it!

Thanks for registering and welcome to the forum. Glad you found the forum useful!

Here's a picture for old time's sake. Post a picture...

Welcome aboard! Pictures?

LED dome light issue

I've seen a few posts of people having issues with led dome lights but no real answers other than to not use them. Oddly enough though many people use...

Yeah, I'd say they break easily. My neighbor got in my car and the passenger side made an ominous groan. Like you, I don't use the rests but the dog sometimes...

Are they difficult to swap out? I don’t see where the connection is done - does the padding have to be removed from the seats? Any side airbags to...

Texanbrit: You're exactly right!
I pulled it apart today and the overflow hose is sticky and moist.
Everything else looked to be buttoned...

FIAT 500 1.4L SOHC (Naturally Aspirated. Non Turbo)
Ignition Coil
MOPAR 68070492AD

FIAT 500 ABARTH 1.4L SOHC (Turbo)
Ignition...

I believe the Alfa coil packs only work on a Turbo, and Abarth vehicles....

The connection at that side of the radiator is pretty solid, so if it's not the radiator itself then I imagine the coolant is running down the lower coolant...

Cheers from CO!

Hello all, I recently acquired '13 Abarth and decided to join the forum.
I owned in the 90's a Fiat 126p and now the Abarth.
Thanks for all...

There is no light for low coolant, so you need to keep an eye on it. A light means an overheat, and that is something you do not want to do.

F/S - 500X Roof Rails and Crossbars $ 175.00 for all

Purchased for my 2020 Trekking; did not realize will not work with sunroof.

Rails are new in original box. Part #68281916AA.
Crossbars...

Rocco Reviews...

Rock Auto has lots of quality/reasonably priced ignition coil choices for the 2014 N/A Engine, use GOOGLE to find a 5% off...

As we prepare for the 2024 summer season, prepare for some great news about our meets and drives !

Registration is now open, if you'd planning to display your vehicle sign up soon as space is limited, avoid disappointment! 😮

Fiat Club America events are always welcoming and friendly, no animosity or preferential treatment for anyone!

Nice Family environment for...

First off, what brands of bearings are you using? Even a couple of the name brands have been noted to fail (front and rear) on the Fiat. Are you sourcing...

PO302 Cold start issues and stalling

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guest 2
    • Nov 2017

PO302 Cold start issues and stalling

I have posted this on another Fiat 500 forum, but it hasn't received much attention and I am hoping there is someone here that can help.

I have a 2012 500 NA that I purchased this fall with 82K. Since the cold weather has set in, I have been receiving terrible cold starts – misfiring, idle all over the place and eventual stalling. The ECU has thrown a couple different misfire codes, the most common being PO302 cylinder 2 misfire and occasionally a PO300 multiple cylinder misfire code.

Once the car is up and running after the initial cold start issue, all symptoms disappear and the car drives beautifully. I’ve let it sit a few hours and the startup is normal. Sitting longer than 8 hours in this weather tends to bring back the cold start issues. It is hit or miss if I get the cold start after sitting outside at work for 7-9 hours. This is not a primary vehicle, so I have been driving it once a week since these conditions have started occurring.

The previous owner had the following services performed within the past 2,000 miles, a coil pack was replaced, 4 new spark plugs, engine oil flush and change. I noticed the oil change receipt indicated that they put 0W40 synthetic oil and the cap indicates 5W30 should be used.

Is there any chance the oil weight would be affecting the cold start? I know the multiair system is driven by the oil pressure.

My thought is that it is somehow related to the ECU programing that runs the engine rich at cold start to get the engine up to temp. If it were a bad plug/coil etc, I would anticipate having issues beyond the cold start - specifically at WOT.

I know there's a TSB related to cold start issues, but when I read though it the symptoms are not the same.

The nearest Fiat dealer is 150 miles away and I usually avoid dealerships when it comes to maintenance and repairs.
    Last edited by Guest 2; 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM.
  • KellyfromVA
    • Feb 2016

It's always difficult to troubleshoot textually, but here are a couple thoughts:

Yes the Fiat Multiair system relies on oil to run the intake valve system. There have been known issues when either engine oil pressure runs low due to deferred maintenance, or running the incorrect viscosity oil. I would definitely start by changing to the correct viscosity oil.

The number two cylinder misfire may or may not be related to the Multi Air valve system. I would do a cylinder leak-down test on the #2 cylinder. There have been instances (my wife's car as an example) where 2012-2013 NA 500s have had burned #2 exhaust valves. The symptom of that is similar to what you're describing, where you start getting a combination of specific #2 misfires with some random misfire codes. The symptoms get worse, where eventually the #2 won't fire at idle. Hopefully that isn't the case with your car, and maybe just an oil change will help, but thought it would be worth mentioning.
    Last edited by KellyfromVA; 02-08-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
      Amministratore
      • Feb 2011

Like Kelly said go to the basics like the correct oil weight. No need to flush the engine like the previous owner did and probably not a great idea anyway as it could push gunk into the MultiAir filter/ unit. As you get a misfire on cylinder 2, try moving the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows. Also, because you don't know the quality of the mechanical work performed by the previous owner, check the spark plugs to make sure they are the proper, OEM ones and have been gapped correctly.

As it sounds temperature dependent, you may want to check the temperature sensor to make sure it is reading correctly.
      Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
      fiat 500 forum signature
      abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Guest 2
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
        Like Kelly said go to the basics like the correct oil weight. No need to flush the engine like the previous owner did and probably not a great idea anyway as it could push gunk into the MultiAir filter/ unit. As you get a misfire on cylinder 2, try moving the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows. Also, because you don't know the quality of the mechanical work performed by the previous owner, check the spark plugs to make sure they are the proper, OEM ones and have been gapped correctly.

As it sounds temperature dependent, you may want to check the temperature sensor to make sure it is reading correctly.

Thanks for the advice. The work performed on the vehicle prior to my ownership was done at a reputable shop that specializes in European vehicles. They specify on the receipt that they put a "Fiat" oil filter on, but then went with the 0W40. I will change it out for 5W30 and give the coil swap a try to see if the code follows the coil. Any idea where the temp sensor is located?

Comment

• aelfwyne
          • Aug 2014

How old is the BATTERY?

Believe it or not, a battery that is strong enough to start the engine on these may not be strong enough to provide for a smooth idle or even to prevent the engine from stalling when under load in cold temps.

FWIW I'm fighting a very similar issue on my Abarth. P0302 sometimes, and then stalling when I clutch in and it dips to idle. Only does it for about the first 20 minutes of the day.
          Last edited by aelfwyne; 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM.
          2015 Rosso Abarth - MAD FIAT - 5 Speed - Phase 2
          2015 Granito Lucente 500T - Proyecto Estupido (Salvage) - Auto - OFT Stage 1
          2017 Fiat 124 Classica 6MT - WHUT????

Comment

• Guest 2
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by aelfwyne
            How old is the BATTERY?

Believe it or not, a battery that is strong enough to start the engine on these may not be strong enough to provide for a smooth idle or even to prevent the engine from stalling when under load in cold temps.

FWIW I'm fighting a very similar issue on my Abarth. P0302 sometimes, and then stalling when I clutch in and it dips to idle. Only does it for about the first 20 minutes of the day.
            Thanks for the response.

The battery, alternator, and starter were all replaced in November right after purchasing the vehicle.

Comment

• aelfwyne
              • Aug 2014

Well is you find a solution post back here. I don't feel I have mine solved yet.
              2015 Rosso Abarth - MAD FIAT - 5 Speed - Phase 2
              2015 Granito Lucente 500T - Proyecto Estupido (Salvage) - Auto - OFT Stage 1
              2017 Fiat 124 Classica 6MT - WHUT????

Comment