500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sila Concepts Ram Air Intake - PVC Hose Solution

Thanks

Post Sila Concepts Ram Air Intake - PVC Hose Solution

First off, I'd like to thank Chris from Eurocompulsion for his advise and recommendation on what I needed to do, he is a true professional and this wouldn't have been possible without his help.

I installed the Sila Concepts Ram Air Intake a little over a year ago and I removed the PVC hose from the valve since it wasn't doing anything while being connected to the stock air box. I figured since this is an aftermarket product, there would be no need for the PVC hose to remain connected since the filter does not include a connection for it. Anyway, last month I was getting ready to purchase an oil catch can that Eurocompulsion offers but I was reading the instructions and found that the inlet hose connects to the PVC Valve and the outlet hose connects to the intake. I reached out to them and asked how I could use their catch can since my intake does not have a fitting for the outlet hose...Chris from Eurocompulsion replied saying that I would need to port the intake to properly re-run the PVC/Oil Separator and that if I ran without it, it would cause big issues later on. This really concerned me since I like everything to work as it should and I don't like to sacrifice functionality over looks or performance but I just never looked into it. He further explained that the PCV/Oil separator needs to be connected to the intake as the intake provides a draw/vacuum and that it would eventually get clogged over time and fail causing smoke out of the exhaust and eventually pressure on the internal engine seals, which will result in engine failure. After reading this, I was freaking out but I came up with a way to modify the intake since I did not have $300+ available to purchase an intake that had the port..

Sila Intake without the freakin' port for the PVC hose:
    SILAconceptsINTAKEredBMCfilter2015-3-750x563.jpg

I went ahead and ordered 6' 5/8'' I.D. heater hose for about $10 and I used a #12 straight fitting for the intake. I manufacture automotive a/c parts and luckily, my main technician is a beast on aluminum welding. He made a hole on the aluminum mount of the intake and welded the fitting:

IMG_7300.jpg

I routed the hose to the PVC Valve and used a zip tie to secure it. This is how it ended up:

IMG_7299.jpg

It's a real snug fit so zip ties are not necessary. The best part about this mod is that I am still able to use my stock engine cover! This is the final look:

IMG_7305.jpg

I don't know how long it takes for the problems in the PVC to show up but I rather not risk it and run it how it's supposed to be. Now that I have it this way, I will be getting ready to order the oil catch can. I hope this helps those of you running this intake which I think is horrible and I would now recommend to save up a little more for an intake that has all of the required ports.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nestiko For This Useful Post:

Fiat_Phil (01-17-2018), Nitracity (01-15-2018), Rhino500 (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    That's great information. I have the same intake & recently bought a catch can I'm glad I read this before installing my catch can. I guess I have some extra mods to do before installing the can.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitracity View Post
    That's great information. I have the same intake & recently bought a catch can I'm glad I read this before installing my catch can. I guess I have some extra mods to do before installing the can.
    I'm glad this will serve you of some help. These are the parts that I used:

#12 Straight Fitting:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/173103480570

FT 1304C.jpg

5/8'' Heater Hose 6 feet. I ended using about 2 1/2'' but I got extra just in case...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-Heater-...hZxctf&vxp=mtr
    s-l500.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nestiko For This Useful Post:

Fiat_Phil (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Awesome thanks for the 411 Nestiko

Quote Originally Posted by Nestiko View Post
    I'm glad this will serve you of some help. These are the parts that I used:

#12 Straight Fitting:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/173103480570

FT 1304C.jpg

5/8'' Heater Hose 6 feet. I ended using about 2 1/2'' but I got extra just in case...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-Heater-...hZxctf&vxp=mtr
    s-l500.jpg

Thanks
    BTW are you still utilizing the other 2 vacuum connections that are on the intake?

Thanks
    Yes sir, I am.

Thanks
    The black plastic box that we (Abarth owners) call "the PCV valve" is more complicated than the normal PCV setup on most cars (especially older cars and non-turbo cars).

The Abarth PCV box functions in two modes: One mode when the engine is receiving boost pressure from the turbo, and a second mode when the engine is not receiving boost pressure from the turbo.

When there is boost pressure (positive pressure) in the intake (downstream from the turbo and beyond the throttle body) the PCV box "breaths" through the (larger) hose that you have re-connected to your Sila intake.

When the engine is "off boost" there there will be vacuum pressure (a partial negative pressure) in the intake (downstream from the turbo and beyond the throttle body). Under this condition a one-way valve on the Abarth PCV box opens up and the box "breaths" through the (smaller) hose that is connected to the intake (located behind and below the PCV box, towards the car's firewall).

The off-boost vacuum that develops in the intake beyond the turbo and throttle body is stronger than the vacuum in the intake after the air filter but before the turbo, so the smaller hose on the PCV box does all the sucking (evacuation) of crankcase gases during this time.

So the part of the Abarth's PCV system that you are working with in this forum thread is the part that works when the engine is "on boost", when there is positive turbocharger pressure in the intake.

When the engine is idling or running at low throttle positions (cruising along on the highway, for example) there is vacuum pressure in the intake and the Abarth's PCV system does it's "breathing" through the small hose that's connected to the blue-colored one-way valve (you haven't done anything to change the behavior/operation of this part of the Abarth's PCV system).
    Last edited by ewflyer; 01-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewflyer For This Useful Post:

Nestiko (01-17-2018), Nitracity (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Ewflyer, thank you so much for sharing this, I love learning more and more about this little monster.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestiko View Post
    Ewflyer, thank you so much for sharing this, I love learning more and more about this little monster.
    I'm with you when it comes to loving this car, and you're right about it (the Abarth's engine) being a little monster. In a lot of ways it has the heart/soul of a racing motor: Forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, iron short-block with a thick aluminum bed-plate, structural oil pan, oil jets squirting onto the bottoms of the pistons to control heat.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ewflyer View Post
    I'm with you when it comes to loving this car, and you're right about it (the Abarth's engine) being a little monster. In a lot of ways it has the heart/soul of a racing motor: Forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, iron short-block with a thick aluminum bed-plate, structural oil pan, oil jets squirting onto the bottoms of the pistons to control heat.
    Jesus....now I feel like going for a drive!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast