Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Retrofiting 500 turbo parts to a 2012 n/a 500 sport

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lordofthewolves
    • Jan 2018

Retrofiting 500 turbo parts to a 2012 n/a 500 sport

I was wondering is I could turbo my n/a 2012 Fiat 500 sport, with the oem intake and down pipe from a 500 turbo, with out major modifications or wallet emptying, I already have a oem boost gauge on hold, but the other parts I’ll have to find

so is it possible? Or am I doing something harder that requires more components

sorry for for the short post, I’m not good at these, thanks in advance!
    2012 500 n/a Manual Sport, with all the factory goodies. NGK Iridium spark plugs, NGK Coil packs, and Upgraded MultiAir springs
  • opiateESP
    Boost Addict
    Lifetime Member
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lordofthewolves
    I was wondering is I could turbo my n/a 2012 Fiat 500 sport, with the oem intake and down pipe from a 500 turbo, with out major modifications or wallet emptying, I already have a oem boost gauge on hold, but the other parts I’ll have to find

so is it possible? Or am I doing something harder that requires more components

sorry for for the short post, I’m not good at these, thanks in advance!
    The turbo model manifold, turbo, downpipe will fit but you need to sort out the ECU. The OEM ECU map and MAP sensor in the non turbo will not likely like being above atmospheric pressure. The transmission is also far less robust. The engine internals are also different so you may not want to venture past 6 to 8 psi of boost. You will also need a few other small things (oil and coolant lines) plus those lines go to OEM connection points near the oil filter on the turbo models so you will need to either buy those parts as well or create the connections.
    Pistons & Petrol: Follow us on YouTube.

2017 Abarth 124 Spider
    Tork Tuned | CP Pistons | Carrillo Rods | Garrett G25-550

The 300+ Club(?)
    #notscare

Comment

• Schwebel
      • Jan 2012

I actually happen to have an EU spec IHI turbo and manifold that has been collecting dust in my garage if you are interested. The turbo is smaller than the NA Abarth, but is the one standard on the EU Abarth. It might work a little better since you don't have the stronger block and transmission of the Abarth/Turbo.

Comment

• KellyfromVA
        • Feb 2016

Something else to consider: The turbo 500's and Abarth engines are equipped with forged crankshaft and forged connecting rods, along with some other beefier parts. The NA 500 engines are cast crank, rods, and less beefy. Not sure how well the 500 NA engine would hold up under boosted conditions.

What you might want to consider, is see if you can find a complete drive train from a rear-ended Abarth or Turbo and do a swap. Oh, one other thing, you'll need the turbo or Abarth front end body parts, because the turbo and Abarth have a larger bulge to accommodate the intercooler.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
          Amministratore
          • Feb 2011

When the Sports first came out some of the vendors were working on a simple bolt on Supercharger kit. As soon as the Abarth was announced that idea was abandoned because it wasn't cost effective to engineer a kit when you can just go out and buy an Abarth or 500T.

Sounds like this is in the same boat. If you are a very hands on type, you could do what Kelly suggests and get the whole powertrain/harness/ecu/ front -end and other miscellaneous from a wreck. The problem is there are so many things to change out you'd likely always have some kind of issue popping up. Plus, you have to deal with the PCM coding, which means a tow to the dealer to get a flash if they'll do it. Most folks would be better off getting an Abarth or 500T and be done with it. Plenty of good used ones out there at good prices.

I just want to put that out there so you know what you are up against. Let us know if you tackle it and good luck.
          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
          fiat 500 forum signature
          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Lordofthewolves
            • Jan 2018

It seems that it’ll be a bit more than expected, but I can tackle it, it’s just money is a problem for me rn.

i also figured that fiat would pull a fast one, and just have two assembly lines for non Abarth and Abarth motors, and put the rest on later, and also to not Hijack my own thread, but is the trans and clutch a glass box like the subies?
            2012 500 n/a Manual Sport, with all the factory goodies. NGK Iridium spark plugs, NGK Coil packs, and Upgraded MultiAir springs

Comment

• Trunkout
              • Mar 2015

This will never happen. Two different animals.
              The Abarth trans and clutch are quite strong in my book.
              2013 Rosso Abarth 5spd Bianco 17s
              SOLD August 2018 BUT got company car

Comment

• aelfwyne
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Lordofthewolves
                It seems that it’ll be a bit more than expected, but I can tackle it, it’s just money is a problem for me rn.

i also figured that fiat would pull a fast one, and just have two assembly lines for non Abarth and Abarth motors, and put the rest on later, and also to not Hijack my own thread, but is the trans and clutch a glass box like the subies?
                Really, not worth it. Buy an Abarth and call it a day.

The multiair PCM has some pretty draconian control over the engine. The only way you'll get a turbo working on the NA motor is by swapping the entire wiring harness, PCM, BCM, Instrument Cluster, and numerous other parts from an Abarth. If you have a wrecked donor Abarth and use the Sport as a body shell donor, that's about the only way you'll get it done. Switching to a standalone ECU isn't an option either, as there is NO standalone on the market that will drive the Multiair system.

As far as the clutch/trans they're not really "glass" in that they hold up to stock power levels well and quite a bit more. But they are the weak point ultimately. Well, that and the PCM is a huge weak point. Lots of tuners say they're going to conquer the Fiat PCM, few actually do. Abarths go from 160 stock bhp (around 145 wheel) to well over 200 wheel HP without any issues. A few people stripped out 4th gear, but those seem to be 2012-2013 trans. The 2015 seems to be a bit more stout. However, AGAIN, the NA transmission isn't built to the same spec. So while it handles stock power well, nobody knows how much it will take boosted. If you don't have deep pockets you don't wanna be the guy what finds out.

Honestly this forum needs a stickied FAQ about why you don't turbo your Sport. This question comes up every month or two. Answer is, if you want to turbo your Sport, then you bought the wrong car. And if you couldn't afford an Abarth over a Sport, then you're *certainly* not going to afford the amount of fabrication and outright invention that would be needed to turbo a Spo
                2015 Rosso Abarth - MAD FIAT - 5 Speed - Phase 2
                2015 Granito Lucente 500T - Proyecto Estupido (Salvage) - Auto - OFT Stage 1
                2017 Fiat 124 Classica 6MT - WHUT????

Comment

• Baggedmax
                  • Jul 2016

Im in the same boat. Im doing this once i figure out my wheel situation. Gonna buy a stock manifold and cut the flange off or make one. I will build the manifold either for a T25 or K03 havent figured this out yet. piping and intercooler are a walk in the park along with BOV. I know they have a timing controller for the car with like 4 degree advance, but i would need that to go the other direction(retard) with boost or do a lower comp head gasket(or both). A secondary injector controller would work most likey just fine for moderate boost. If you could pull and additional 50hp that would be ideal. Just fun!! blow it up and throw a rotary in it

Comment

• aelfwyne
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Baggedmax
                    Im in the same boat. Im doing this once i figure out my wheel situation. Gonna buy a stock manifold and cut the flange off or make one. I will build the manifold either for a T25 or K03 havent figured this out yet. piping and intercooler are a walk in the park along with BOV. I know they have a timing controller for the car with like 4 degree advance, but i would need that to go the other direction(retard) with boost or do a lower comp head gasket(or both). A secondary injector controller would work most likey just fine for moderate boost. If you could pull and additional 50hp that would be ideal. Just fun!! blow it up and throw a rotary in it
                    Go for it and watch the PCM freak out.

Comment

• KellyfromVA
                      • Feb 2016

I know they have a timing controller for the car with like 4 degree advance, but i would need that to go the other direction(retard) with boost or do a lower comp head gasket(or both).
                      Not sure where you came up with only a 4 degree advance. Most modern engines, even NA ones, run 25 degrees+ advance under normal acceleration. 4 degrees would be at idle, if not more.

A secondary injector controller would work most likey just fine for moderate boost. If you could pull and additional 50hp that would be ideal. Just fun!! blow it up and throw a rotary in it

Considering the NA engine is about 100HP to begin with, a 50HP boost is increasing output by 50%. You'd be better off just mailing me the money you'd be dumping into the project. That money would at least go toward some good use.

Comment

• Tramonto
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Sep 2017

Just jack it up and put an Abarth under it.
                        PRESENT Italian marquis
                        2015 FIAT 500L (RIVA Tribute)
                        ….. Looking at the 695 Revale for inspiration…..
                        1997 Alfa Romeo 916 Spider - Cuore Sportivo edition
                        PAST Italian marquis
                        2015 Abarth Cabrio (695 Edizione Maserati Tribute)
                        …..THANK YOU for voting me CAR OF YR 2021…..
                        2015 FIAT 500 Sport
                        1989 TC by Maserati (yes it’s a Maserati but sold by Chrysler)

Comment

• aelfwyne
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Tramonto
                          Just jack it up and put an Abarth under it.
                          Or parts swap. Remove car from wheels. Install Abarth to existing wheels. Done.

Comment