500 Madness
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Well, this was a surprise!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 134 Times in 113 Posts

    Well, this was a surprise!!!

    Not known for my rational approach to buying vehicles(way too many over the years), I did little to change that aspect of my personality today.

    Dropped by the studio with a CEL glowing since Friday afternoon and strolled through the showroom while they were checking out my gremlin(turned out to be some minor valve in the emissions system, I think). Anyway, got to talking with Angela and one of the sales staff and found out they had ONE '17 L left on the lot. Hmmm...White(one of our favorite vehicle colors), Lounge(virtually identical to our '15) WITH a sunroof(unlike our '15). Chat, chat, chat...figure, figure, figure...and we now have the '17 in our garage!!!

    I was torn but the numbers work('15 was paid off; but tires and brakes and 40k service looming)...torn because the moonroof was the only tangible "upgrade" from the '15...Dang. It had been many vehicles since our last non-moonroof/convertible car, so that was part of my interest. As it turns out, the relatively nominal difference in the trade value of the '15 and the asking price of the '17 made the deal appealing enough to entice me toward a fresh, new L...and off we go!

    They didn't charge me(extra) to remove the GoPedal...it will be installed in the new ride shortly. The new one is silky smooth compared to the '15(in which we just completed a 1200 mile trip after Christmas), even though the '15 didn't feel bad at all.

    I'll be updating my signature info forthwith...gotta rest up to get the insurance, toll tag and Sirius squared away tomorrow first thing!

    Turned out to be a more eventful day than I had planned!!!
    Current vehicles:
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 [COLOR=#0000cd]Caspian Blue
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada[/COLOR]

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to CoachRick For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (01-12-2018)

  3. #2
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 238 Times in 190 Posts
    Congrats on the new Elle! Post a picture when you get a chance.

    I can relate to too many vehicles, we joke that if I didn't have to pay sales tax and registration fees I would drive a different car every couple of months. =P

  4. #3
    Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,858
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 818 Times in 666 Posts
    Coach Rick how cool is that Congrats on the new ride!!!
    2017 Abarth (Celeste Blu)
    ADVAN- RSII 17x7.5 WHEELS WITH Federal 595 SS 215/40/17 TIRES
    Neuf Lowering Springs
    Koshi- Front and Rear Carbon Fibre Spoiler Extensions
    Feroce - Carbon Fibre Front and Rear Duct Trim
    Feroce- Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser
    Prosport Boost Guage
    Tint Guy- Dark Tinted Windows




    !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 134 Times in 113 Posts
    Roll Tide, indeed!!! What a game...what a finish!!!
    Current vehicles:
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 [COLOR=#0000cd]Caspian Blue
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada[/COLOR]

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to CoachRick For This Useful Post:

    Southernroadrunner (01-10-2018)

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 134 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Congrats on the new Elle! Post a picture when you get a chance.

    I can relate to too many vehicles, we joke that if I didn't have to pay sales tax and registration fees I would drive a different car every couple of months. =P
    The amount of the "sale" is reduced by the trade-in allowance here in Texas; so, tax was only on the difference in my transaction...cool. Registration here in Williamson County is ~$75/year...unlike our previous state in which we paid ~1% of the vehicle value EACH YEAR for tags!!! $900 one year!!!!!(Two pretty nice vehicles, I'll admit ) Dang!
    Current vehicles:
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 [COLOR=#0000cd]Caspian Blue
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada[/COLOR]

  8. #6
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 238 Times in 190 Posts
    Hmmm interesting info, I actually have no idea what MN takes, I've never traded a vehicle in! Why the government gets to take a cut of private party sales continues to baffle me though.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (01-12-2018)

  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 134 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Hmmm interesting info, I actually have no idea what MN takes, I've never traded a vehicle in! Why the government gets to take a cut of private party sales continues to baffle me though.
    Oh, yeah...Texas gets their 6.25% when private parties try to register the new owner. Georgia didn't have sales tax on private party sales 10 years ago when we left; but they were the ones who hit you for the 1% registration fee(in Fulton Co/Atlanta).

    Could be worse...years ago a another tennis pro friend wanted to ship his SAAB convertible back to Australia when he moved. The import duty was the VALUE OF THE VEHICLE !!! Needless to say, he moved without a car and bought one when he got 'home'.
    Current vehicles:
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 [COLOR=#0000cd]Caspian Blue
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada[/COLOR]

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Coach, great to hear that folks are still buying the L! Were there many on the lot? I think our dealer here has 18 Stelvios and only one L. The L is used, not new. The dealership here is excellent, but not having luck moving the L models.

    Yes, importing cars is tricky. We are planning a move to France and would like to bring some cars. The tax formula is a bit complex and part of it is based on CO2 emissions. The tax is about halved when the car is 10 years old. What is interesting is that I don’t see any Elles for sale over there with the 160hp engine. It would be nice to have our US market Elle with its powerful engine for the Alps!

    PB

  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachRick View Post
    Not known for my rational approach to buying vehicles(way too many over the years), I did little to change that aspect of my personality today.

    Dropped by the studio with a CEL glowing since Friday afternoon and strolled through the showroom while they were checking out my gremlin(turned out to be some minor valve in the emissions system, I think). Anyway, got to talking with Angela and one of the sales staff and found out they had ONE '17 L left on the lot. Hmmm...White(one of our favorite vehicle colors), Lounge(virtually identical to our '15) WITH a sunroof(unlike our '15). Chat, chat, chat...figure, figure, figure...and we now have the '17 in our garage!!!

    I was torn but the numbers work('15 was paid off; but tires and brakes and 40k service looming)...torn because the moonroof was the only tangible "upgrade" from the '15...Dang. It had been many vehicles since our last non-moonroof/convertible car, so that was part of my interest. As it turns out, the relatively nominal difference in the trade value of the '15 and the asking price of the '17 made the deal appealing enough to entice me toward a fresh, new L...and off we go!

    They didn't charge me(extra) to remove the GoPedal...it will be installed in the new ride shortly. The new one is silky smooth compared to the '15(in which we just completed a 1200 mile trip after Christmas), even though the '15 didn't feel bad at all.

    I'll be updating my signature info forthwith...gotta rest up to get the insurance, toll tag and Sirius squared away tomorrow first thing!

    Turned out to be a more eventful day than I had planned!!!
    Congratulations!! Great way to start the new year. Can't wait to see some pictures! hint...hint

    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 134 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbob View Post
    Coach, great to hear that folks are still buying the L! Were there many on the lot? I think our dealer here has 18 Stelvios and only one L. The L is used, not new. The dealership here is excellent, but not having luck moving the L models.

    Yes, importing cars is tricky. We are planning a move to France and would like to bring some cars. The tax formula is a bit complex and part of it is based on CO2 emissions. The tax is about halved when the car is 10 years old. What is interesting is that I don’t see any Elles for sale over there with the 160hp engine. It would be nice to have our US market Elle with its powerful engine for the Alps!

    PB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Congratulations!! Great way to start the new year. Can't wait to see some pictures! hint...hint
    Seems our L is now the only used L on the lot and the '17 I bought was the last available with zero '18s available. I've seen quite a few around town; but I know it's not a big seller. It fits us just fine. If the X had 220hp, I might have taken a look at it; but we'll drive the new L until Volvo brings over the XC40(at twice the cost, the Volvo will really need to speak to me!!!)

    We've got a FIAT Club of Austin meet tomorrow...hopefully some pics will be taken! Going to be sunny but cold!
    Current vehicles:
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 [COLOR=#0000cd]Caspian Blue
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada[/COLOR]

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to CoachRick For This Useful Post:

    Fiat500USA (01-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Surprise guest comes to the shop!
    By Sales@roadrace in forum Road Race Motorsports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM
  2. Surprise! Liked at Jalopnik!
    By Andree in forum Fiat 500X
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM
  3. Surprise- suprise
    By dyslexic in forum Fiat 500 ABARTH General Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 11:45 PM
  4. A nice surprise
    By Rossonero404 in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •