500 Madness
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Fiat 2017 North American Sales Total 41,329

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 130 Times in 109 Posts
    I did my small part for 2018 when I bought the new L on Monday.
    Current vehicles:
    2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 Caspian Blue
    Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoachRick For This Useful Post:

    Amacento (01-11-2018), rustbucket (01-11-2018)

  3. #32
    Senior Member Amacento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MKEWI
    Posts
    1,633
    Thanks
    2,758
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    It seemed to work from 2011 until about 2015. Fast forward to 2018, and there needs some refocus, new products and energy injected. A new 500 would be a big help, but we need the other things, too.
    I think this is a great excerpt to summarize Fiat history. It is often written (about Fiat) the company has survived and succeeded despite a long-running slant towards miscalculations. I think it's true even under the keen leadership of John Elkann and Sergio Marchionne. Their Chrysler & Lancia strategies have been abysmal. Their Dodge strategy, Dart notwithstanding, has been solid. Their Fiat & Abarth strategies always seem to be 2 years behind the market. Their Jeep & RAM strategies have been on-point. The Ferrari spin-off was a genius gamble. The Alfa Romeo strategy is just starting to get footing. The Maserati strategy works on its own... without intense support from the manufacturer or dealers.

    One reads my breakdown and may ask, "How is this company working with that batting average?"
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

    http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

    https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

    https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

    ... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

  4. #33
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 205 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramonto View Post
    They need to team up with something that says "Living on the edge" not "Man Bun and a trip to the park to read a book"
    Just as a single data point on targeted marketing and perceived car buyer stereotypes: I hate Dodge's advertising.

    I get what they are trying to do, but there is just so much pseudo-manliness in their adverts it makes me sick. The whole brand reeks of vapid "speed brotherhood" elitism and "fast in a straight line is better than quick everywhere" logic. They even intentionally alienate feminine men and tell them NOT to buy their products.

    So my perception of a Dodge owner is a late 20s bro who doesn't know the first thing about fast driving but thinks he's going to star in the next fast and furious because his car is soooo fast. I know this isn't the case, I even know a number of Dodge owners personally that disprove this notion but any way you slice it I could never sit in a Dodge without feeling like a complete douche. No offense to any "Mopar or no car" folks out there. I really do like their products, but I can't get over what the marketing gurus assume about me.

    Personally I think FIAT's ad campaigns have been dead on. The "badboy" Sport series and the Abarth Seduction ad are particularly wonderful. The US market simply didn't seem to care. I think the more targeted your ads are the more potential buyers you risk losing.

    I love the idea of bringing the 595 and 695 to the US but the elephant in the room is "If the market doesn't see the value in the base Abarth who is going to buy the upgraded versions and how many thousands of dollars do you have to drop the price?"

    I'd like to see an Abarth Punto or Giulietta offered on our shores. I think they would both sell well.... ok maybe not the Giulietta because the US doesn't understand upscale hatchbacks unless they put out 300+ HP, but the Punto would fill a void in FIAT's US lineup.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

    Amacento (01-11-2018)

  6. #34
    Senior Member Amacento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MKEWI
    Posts
    1,633
    Thanks
    2,758
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Personally I think FIAT's ad campaigns have been dead on. The "badboy" Sport series and the Abarth Seduction ad are particularly wonderful. The US market simply didn't seem to care. I think the more targeted your ads are the more potential buyers you risk losing.

    I love the idea of bringing the 595 and 695 to the US but the elephant in the room is "If the market doesn't see the value in the base Abarth who is going to buy the upgraded versions and how many thousands of dollars do you have to drop the price?"

    I'd like to see an Abarth Punto or Giulietta offered on our shores. I think they would both sell well.... ok maybe not the Giulietta because the US doesn't understand upscale hatchbacks unless they put out 300+ HP, but the Punto would fill a void in FIAT's US lineup.
    Bad Boy was for Abarth. The fact that didn't stick with you is not good. They likely canned those... #becausecharlie

    I partially agree about the 595 and the 695. I'd point out the 595 isn't and upgraded version of the 500. It replaces the 500... as in the next generation. The 695 is the rich person's play thing that isn't her/his 200,000k car.

    The Punto Abarth would kill the A500 and the Giulietta would kill the Punto in our market. I'd love a MiTo but realize it would likely kill the A500.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

    http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

    https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

    https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

    ... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

  7. #35
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 205 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amacento View Post
    Bad Boy was for Abarth. The fact that didn't stick with you is not good.
    Perhaps you are correct.

    Abarth adverts I remember are really only the seduction superbowl commercial and the fiats ganging up on the lifted bro truck (not strictly an Abarth ad).

    I swear on my terrible memory that the bad boy series was to introduce the Sport... because they used a matte Olive Sport that I drooled over repeatedly.

    Either way, I'm a bad example as I don't watch much TV. I've honestly seen more adverts on loop in my studio and on this forum than in actual life (maybe I'm remembering the european Sport campaign?)

    I strongly believe that the only people who make car buying decisions based on commercials are people who don't give half a crap about cars. The rest of us go on test drives, read articles, and actually learn about cars before buying them. Not because we like the "image" it will give us. Commercials can serve as a reminder of the existence of a certain car to an enthusiast or a heads up about good deals but honestly if that's your tipping point how invested in the decision are you to begin with? Just my bias, my sincere apologies if you had been living under a rock and heard about Abarth from your TV.

    I feel real dumb about not knowing there isn't an A500 in europe. Oops!

    Do the Giulietta and Punto really overlap in market that much? AFAIK VW and Audi don't steal sales from each other with their nearly identical products. Why doesn't this lineup cannibalism happen in europe where they have access to everything we are talking about?

    Sorry for the derail everyone.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

    Amacento (01-12-2018)

  9. #36
    Senior Member Amacento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MKEWI
    Posts
    1,633
    Thanks
    2,758
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Perhaps you are correct.

    Abarth adverts I remember are really only the seduction superbowl commercial and the fiats ganging up on the lifted bro truck (not strictly an Abarth ad).

    I swear on my terrible memory that the bad boy series was to introduce the Sport... because they used a matte Olive Sport that I drooled over repeatedly.

    Either way, I'm a bad example as I don't watch much TV. I've honestly seen more adverts on loop in my studio and on this forum than in actual life (maybe I'm remembering the european Sport campaign?)

    I strongly believe that the only people who make car buying decisions based on commercials are people who don't give half a crap about cars. The rest of us go on test drives, read articles, and actually learn about cars before buying them. Not because we like the "image" it will give us. Commercials can serve as a reminder of the existence of a certain car to an enthusiast or a heads up about good deals but honestly if that's your tipping point how invested in the decision are you to begin with? Just my bias, my sincere apologies if you had been living under a rock and heard about Abarth from your TV.

    I feel real dumb about not knowing there isn't an A500 in europe. Oops!

    Do the Giulietta and Punto really overlap in market that much? AFAIK VW and Audi don't steal sales from each other with their nearly identical products. Why doesn't this lineup cannibalism happen in europe where they have access to everything we are talking about?

    Sorry for the derail everyone.
    The Sport (S) advert you recall is EU market. The Bad Boy adverts, for US market, were Abarth.

    I agree... tv adverts are for those who wouldn't otherwise make their way to the dealer floor. Auto Shows and print ads are for car people.

    Don't feel bad about the A500 gen change. I think they continued/continue offering the A500 on the EU Abarth Life site to show continued support for the outgoing model. I happen to geek out about the A595 enough that I check in with the UK site every so often. Sharing knowledge (both ways) is what makes the community work.

    Well, you mentioned the Punto Abarth specifically. A savvy North American enthusiast will likely always pick the Giulietta over the Punto because the price difference would be negligible. This doesn't happen as much in EU market because brand & badge loyalty... even model loyalty... is passed from generation to generation. My opinion: They only way to fix that in the US would be to position Abarth as the entry level Italian sports car brand that most people would agree it is. Then, you have Alfa Romeo. Then, you have Maserati. Then, you have Ferrari. Now, a Abarthisti would correctly point out Abarth & Co. competed with Alfas and Lancias back in the day. But I'm addressing the general US market.

    VW... especially when introduced via Golf... has a cult following. Audi is often considered the "step up" from VW. The marketing position is exactly what I'm describing for Abarth vs Alfa Romeo. So, it's a proven theory in this case. Soichiro Honda did the same thing, US-only, with Honda and Acura brands. ALL Acuras are actually Hondas in all the world save the US market. This proves my theory again. So, it isn't really my theory at all.

    I trust my explanations make sense and help.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

    http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

    https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

    https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

    ... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amacento For This Useful Post:

    Ando (01-12-2018)

  11. #37
    Enthusiastically Slow Lifetime Member Ando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 205 Times in 163 Posts
    I like that... push FIAT into the CJDR dealers for the masses and Abarth is sold as a separate brand (the way it should be) with Alfas. At least I think that's what you're getting at. The US is a very badge/brand driven market.

    Does anyone have any good info on hand in regards to the cost associated with bringing a pre-existing model into the US? (Let's assume no significant re-engineering for safety or emissions.) As enthusiasts we love to complain that we don't get RS6 Avants, Skylines, and S660s but I've never really understood the hidden cost behind fan service market adaptations.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:

    Amacento (01-12-2018)

  13. #38
    Senior Member Amacento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MKEWI
    Posts
    1,633
    Thanks
    2,758
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    I like that... push FIAT into the CJDR dealers for the masses and Abarth is sold as a separate brand (the way it should be) with Alfas. At least I think that's what you're getting at. The US is a very badge/brand driven market.

    Does anyone have any good info on hand in regards to the cost associated with bringing a pre-existing model into the US? (Let's assume no significant re-engineering for safety or emissions.) As enthusiasts we love to complain that we don't get RS6 Avants, Skylines, and S660s but I've never really understood the hidden cost behind fan service market adaptations.
    You got it. Fiat with CDJR and Abarth with Alfa Romeo & Maserati. Consumers would most definitely better "understand" Abarth in that context.

    Safety and emissions is the greatest challenge.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

    http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

    https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

    https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

    ... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy. - James May

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Austin, the convection oven, TX
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 130 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachRick View Post
    I did my small part for 2018 when I bought the new L on Monday.
    Ours was the very last '17 L on the dealer lot...making room for the '18s.
    Current vehicles:
    2017 FIAT 500L Lounge
    2013 Volvo C70 Caspian Blue
    Previous Fiats: 2015 500L Lounge; 1979 Strada

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Fiat 2016 Sales Total 44,460
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat500USA.com Articles and Story Comments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM
  2. Fiat 500X North American Debut
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat 500X
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
  3. Total North American 500 sales close to 100K to date
    By 500ways in forum Fiat news and reviews from around the Internet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 03:20 AM
  4. North American Fiat 500 debut information
    By Fiat500USA in forum Fiat 500 General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •