500 Madness

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Overall Disappointment in the Way my 500X has aged

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsurfer View Post
    Where is begin2see? All the talk about depreciating values and nobody want to help him resolve his rattles and squeaks?

In two years, I would have probably cleaned and treated the door and sunroof weatherseals four times. This prevents squeaks and rattles. Have you done that yet?
    If I could figure out where my squeaks and rattles were, I'd attempt to fix mine. Honestly though, it amazes me the poor build quality between this and my other older Fiat. The difference is painfully obvious once I've driven my 500 for a few days and then hop back in the X. It just feels like the structure is glued together with all the flexing. I really wish I could find the plastic on metal tapping noise that occurs religiously as soon as you hit 48mph and goes non stop until you slow down below 45. You can drown it out with loud music but I often drive around with the radio on mute. I've torn both passenger side door panels off searching for the culprit but can't find anything obviously loose. And then there's the various popping sounds coming from the door panels flexing. It's enough to drive anyone mad. And this is all heard over my obnoxiously loud Abarth exhaust. You guys with regular 2.4s would kill yourself if you heard all the racket mine makes.
    Last edited by carfreak09; 03-12-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio
    500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, LED interior lights.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 500ways View Post
    What was the sticker of the HRV, even though sticker means nothing vs. actual price paid.

Also, KBB, NADA, etc. have to be taken with a grain of salt. They can list all the values they want. The dealer will pay what he/she thinks its worth.

When KBB and NADA buy my car for the cash they say its worth, then I will fully believe and endorse them.

Forza Fiat!
    Frankly, I'm surprised how many of you guys seem to think I'm nitpicking or overstating the obvious. I chose the HRV as a comparison because they are direct competitors. Sticker on an HRV LX manual is $20300, sticker for my X manual was $20900 (I just looked at sticker, I was incorrect in earlier post), so it actually stickered for less. No matter how you spin it, the HRV is worth CONSIDERABLY more in resale. The Honda may have cost $1-2k more in final transaction price due to lack of rebates but more then made up for it by holding its value $4k more. Secondly, my point was that the KBB price was a shockingly low $7400. Reality would be much lower, making the difference even more gut wrenching.
    Last edited by carfreak09; 03-12-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley

500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, LED interior lights.

Quote Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
    Newsflash, trade in value is deplorable because no one wants these cars. If the dealer could sell it for a reasonable price, they would give you more. Try to sell your X on your own and you won't do much better.

I didn't buy this car with expectations of trading. I bought it cause I loved the performance and looks. I was well aware of Fiat's poor resale value but to lose $11k is, no matter how Fiat fans try to spin it, very very bad.

I wouldn't say no one, 'cause we all bought them! I think we all would agree that more people would buy them or at least know about them if they did a better job advertising and marketing them. It's like they keep them a secret.

I'm not saying the resale value isn't less than a Honda, but I think what a lot of folks forget is that many people paid many thousands less than list price for their cars. We're talking $3500 - $5000 rebates on top of dealer discounts which narrows the loss somewhat. The current rebate is $3500 in a lot of areas and if you can chisel a discount on top of that off of the price, that helps. The prices of 2017 and up also went way down which helps new buyers. For guys like me that paid list for their cars that isn't the greatest, and I feel ya. It's a drag. I chalk it up to the price of entertainment and driving what I want that isn't the same ol' same ol'.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

rustbucket (03-23-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    I wouldn't say no one, 'cause we all bought them! I think we all would agree that more people would buy them or at least know about them if they did a better job advertising and marketing them. It's like they keep them a secret.

I'm not saying the resale value isn't less than a Honda, but I think what a lot of folks forget is that many people paid many thousands less than list price for their cars. We're talking $3500 - $5000 rebates on top of dealer discounts which narrows the loss somewhat. The current rebate is $3500 in a lot of areas and if you can chisel a discount on top of that off of the price, that helps. The prices of 2017 and up also went way down which helps new buyers. For guys like me that paid list for their cars that isn't the greatest, and I feel ya. It's a drag. I chalk it up to the price of entertainment and driving what I want that isn't the same ol' same ol'.
    For giggles, I pulled the value on a 2016 Chevy Spark LT manual....it was worth $1500 less. I don't know man....how is the X worth only a little more then a bargain basement econo hatch that doesn't have much of a market for it?? As a percentage, the X lost more of its value! Crazy and sad.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
    how is the X worth only a little more then a bargain basement econo hatch that doesn't have much of a market for it?? As a percentage, the X lost more of its value! Crazy and sad.
    Maybe it is due to KBB/NADA not being able to realistically predict the value? Or they still believe 500X is same what 500L with list of problems?
    Just like a sales lady when she heard my wife bought Fiat instead of KIA, which by the way they could not supply, she said that they have problems, not even realising she was talking about a different model.

Do you recall, I think it was early 90's, when Audi had its 5000 model in the USA with "unpredictable acceleration". Turned out to be the driver who pushed both brake and gas, and at that time Audi had quite torque-y engine that pushed the car.
    Of course they presented the case as haunted and sales dropped like crazy for all models... so you see.
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T (me)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats, in Yellow... bumble bee (wife)

Thanks
    An update...23000 miles...back to the studio...after a bad service where electrical cords were left loose...car left me in a third floor parking lot. It was a nightmare to tow and now after 2 weeks the diagnose: ABS module...thats just for now. Lets see how the car responds after an iluminating dashboard that looked like a christmas tree.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    I'm not saying the resale value isn't less than a Honda, but I think what a lot of folks forget is that many people paid many thousands less than list price for their cars. We're talking $3500 - $5000 rebates on top of dealer discounts which narrows the loss somewhat.
    "Retained Value" is a media created and driven metric and if you don't know the original transaction price, a worthless one. On examples I've calculated when you factor in the original transaction price, the final difference is often in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars and given how much fun my Sport is, I'd readily chose it over a Honda or Toyota. Those few hundred dollars I'd readily pay. Would it be better for FCA to get MSRP or close to it? ... sure it would but laying big money on the hood (aka deep discounts on the vehicle) in order to move inventory is a time honored American tradition and I don't see it going away anytime soon- consumers expect it. Honda and Toyota are perhaps smarter in that regard in that they (mostly) discount the financing and not the vehicle itself. We did get a $1000 rebate (my wife's CR-V was a previous model year leftover) but the real savings were in the .9% for 60 months financing. By contrast my same year 500 Sport (a much less expensive vehicle than her CR-V) had almost $4,000 off the sticker.
    Last edited by rustbucket; 03-23-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    I bought my 2016 Fiat 500X AWD Trekking new in Oct 2015, knowing that (A) it was a newly released model and therefore might experience a few issues, (B) many of the new Fiat Studios might not stick around to provide service and support warranty claims, and (C) it would likely have poor resale value. I bought it in spite of all that because I liked it that much. And the thing is, I *still* like it that much, and I'm planning to drive it until its old and worn out. At ~67k miles so far in 2-1/2 years, I've got a good head start on that.

Thankfully, I've experienced very few issues so far, only a broken tailgate button (my fault, and I repaired it myself), a failed coolant thermostat (out of warranty, so I replaced that myself), and once the electric parking brake didn't want to release using the button, so I used the maintenance release feature in the settings on the center display, which restored normal functionality. That's it, no other issues, no rattles, no squeaks, no shimmys, no shakes. My car has never returned to the dealership since new, and so is operating with all of the original programming, receiving none of the numerous updates to the various systems.

Honestly, I believe that Fiat got it right back in July 2015 when my car was built, as it idles and runs smoothly, shifts crisply, etc. and always has since new. I think early comments from test drivers and consumers not being familiar with the car (and the 9-speed transmission in particular) caused a series of programming changes that perhaps created as many issues as they solved, and I would be curious to know how close the final version is to the original version in terms of driving experience. I like seeing "D5" or "D7" etc. in the display instead of just "D", which is reason enough for me to avoid seeking the updates, especially since I have no drivability complaints at all.

From reading through the comments by so many owners, I feel like maybe I've been lucky so far, but more than that I think the Fiat 500X is a rather well designed and engineered car, and perhaps the early model issues that might be considered typical are a bit more random in surfacing, instead of affecting just the initial production of the first models.
    -Dave Voss
    2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso (blue over saddle)
    2016 Fiat 500X Trekking AWD w/ Collection 4
    2013 Fiat 500 Pop (base model like old Fiats!)
    1970 Fiat 850 Sedan (all original w/ no mods)
    1966 Fiat 1100D Sedan (definitely old school)
    (used to own older Fiat 124s, 128s, 131s, etc)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davevoss For This Useful Post:

5port (03-27-2018), rustbucket (03-31-2018)

Thanks
    I was just starting to fall in love with my 500x when the driver’s side door handle came off in my hand. The small chrome plated cap had popped off and then the handle wouldn’t actually activate the latch. I gave it a bit of a tug and the whole thing came out. This is basic engineering and stuff like this should simply not happen. Come on, Fiat, really?

Thanks
    I have a 2016 500x lounge with sunroof. I've just cross 30000 miles. I've been having problems with my car since the beginning. I've had a sunroof problem. Engine fan problem that had the car there at the dealer for 2 months. Passenger door latch fall off. The 500x emblem fall off. Rattles coming from everywhere. A annoying tick coming from my dashboard. A broken interior rocker panel. I love my car but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Oh yeah! Can't forget the vibration at idle when my foot is on the brakes at a stop light. It get so loud that it makes my ears pop. They told at the dealer its normal or I'm putting bad gas in the car. Yeah right!
    Last edited by Smokeypen; 03-31-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast