500 Madness

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall Disappointment in the Way my 500X has aged

Thanks

Overall Disappointment in the Way my 500X has aged

I've owned my 500X for 2 years now and it's full of rattles and squeaks. It's been well cared for and not driven hard (it only has 18k miles - so still under warranty) When I request service at the dealer they "cannot hear/cannot find" the issues. The noises are

- a bad sunroof rattle which started just months after I got the car
    - a loud squeak coming from the drivers side B-pillar
    - a new noise coming from the dashboard by the passenger footwell

In addition, the vibration of the engine when the car is in drive with my foot on the brake seems to be getting stronger. I know there's a TSB for this, but the dealer 'couldn't find it' last time I was in.

Two dealers in my area have stopped selling and servicing Fiats, so I have to drive about 50 miles now to get my car serviced.

My last car was a 10 year old Audi that barely made a sounds. Has anyone else had the same experience with their 500X?

Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Hi,

19K Miles just last week. The rattle is the same problem as yours, on the pillars, under the steering wheel and the seats. Mine does not have sunroof. But the passengers side door handle broke and its been almost 2 months and still waiting for it. The vibration of the engine continues and is going back to service. Ah, the radiator fan also broke, had to wait 2 weeks for it.

I started to think that there is something wrong with the car. Disappointed.

Guillermo

i'm on 40k and everything still quiet. when pulling into parking lots with steep incline I get a slight creaking sound from drivers side rear door. Have had that since new. no complaints. ...knocking on wood...

Just got my 2016 Trekking Plus AWD back from the dealer an hour ago. 15.5k miles, purchased 6/2015. This is the second time I had to take it in since new.

The first issue was for an odd wear pattern that was deep grooves in the front rotors. There was also a slight grinding sound when the bralkes were applied. There was apparently a bulletin about it and they were replaced at about 8000 miles. Sat 4 days at the dealer waiting for parts. After putting on another 1500 miles, the same wear pattern developed, this time along with an annoying squeal. There was never an issue with the functionality of the brakes, so I thought maybe applying some anti squeal would help, but it didn't.

Since I had reservations about returning to the dealer for the same problem, I decided to replace the pads and rotors myself. Purchased an after market set for about $120 and took about 45 minutes to put them on. Squeal gone and it's been 3000 miles with a normal smooth wear pattern. I chalk it up to inferior quality parts from Mopar.

The recent issue involved the transfer case. A dash message came on saying that drive mode was unavailable and I couldn't select Sport mode or AWD mode. There was also a loud bang, like someone hitting the under carriage with a hammer. The sound only happened about 4 times over the course of a few months, but I'm pretty sure it was relates to the drive mode issue.

This time it only took 2 days at the dealer and they ended up replacing the AWD module, rear axle housing and the actuator- transfer case. About $600 in parts, not sure what labor was as it's still under warranty, but I would guess it was over $500.

Aside from the inability to disable the alerts on the Uconnect system, everything else is good.

Not sure at this point if my opinion has changed on the Fiat. I still like it and it was nice to be back in it only after 2 days of driving a 2017 Dodge Journey, but for sure there's an apprehension now that wasn't there before. Seems like some fairly substantial quality issues for only having $15k miles.

****Edit 12/22/2017***

Just coming home from getting a ham for Christmas and the message reappears. Can't select the drive mode plus the check engine light came on.

I'll take it in first thing next week, but I think this is a deal breaker. The only two times I take the car in and it isn't fixed properly both times. My apprehension was correct. I have a feeling this is the beginning of continuing issues which I'm not willing to deal with on a new car. I'll be in the market for another make..Too bad
    Last edited by FiatDood; 12-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe
    2016 Fiat Trekking Plus AWD

Thanks
    Almost 50k here, and also not happy with how the X has aged. 3 serious and potentially expensive repairs covered under warranty (air filter box replaced due to broken vacuum fitting, inoperative fresh air mode requiring the whole lower dash to be torn apart, broken right side engine mount). My front passenger rotor has the same heavy groove others have mentioned and suffered from squealing although that has gone away. Both rocker panel trim pieces have mysteriously broken clips, causing them to separate from the body and no idea when or if they will ever show up (been waiting 3 months for 1). Dash vent faded to a chalky white color and was replaced. Passenger power window panel would not stay clipped to the door panel and was replaced. Rattles and creaks coming from god knows where.

That being said, it is a sharp looking car with the perfect height and size for me and I do enjoy its sporty personality. I went to a car show recently and most small SUVs just didn't compare well to the X. I will say I was very impressed with the new Subaru Crosstrek and the Kia Niro. The Niro gives me pause because it only comes with a dual clutch transmission and I hated that very same tranny in my 2015 Sonata Eco. The Subaru bugs me because it only has 4wd, which I don't need and unnecessarily lowers the gas mileage. So for now, I'll stick with the X but if she acts up again, she's gone.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio
    500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, LED interior lights.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

Smokeypen (12-24-2017)

Thanks
    I have just shy of 18,000 miles and as I stated elsewhere have been dismayed by the number of small items that have broken, from my hatch latch switch to part of the driver door handle. I also seem to have the left front door panel creak that others have mentioned. I still love the look and driving characteristics of my X but fear I will be trying to unload it for something more durable.

Thanks
    My experience has been nothing but positive. I have a Lounge edition with almost 19,000 miles and have had it for a little over 2 years. It is FWD and not AWD and I do not have a sunroof. I am not noticing any squeaks or rattles. I have not gone in for the next 10K check up either. So there may be brake issues with the rotors but I do not notice anything. Overall, my car has aged well, but I must admit that it spends a lot of its time in the garage and not being driven. I hope things settle down and the cars remain reliable and fun to drive.

Cheers. Jeff

Thanks
    I will say that with the weather we are having at the moment, I’m really loving my AWD 500X. It’s fantastic in the snow.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EricX For This Useful Post:

Anson500x (01-05-2018), Jeffb99tx (01-05-2018), PLP (01-05-2018)

Hey Fiatdude, did you ever get the warning message resolved? I'm currently on a road trip after a full servicing and the error popped up this morning. Any advice would be helpful from the group.

Thanks
    Hello. I bought a new 500x trekking July 2016. Overall quite happy with it. I don't have sunroof and there are no noticeable noises.

One thing I don't like is the way the engine is rough at idle while stopped in drive. I'm going to see if the dealer can replace the motor mounts as others have mentioned.

The rear hatch activator (on the rear hatch itself) is cheap plastic and dislodged itself a bit. Still works fine but it's loose and should be replaced.

There is a little piece of plastic, a cover, that goes over the base of the rear wiper (where it connects). That thing flew off or something. It's just gone.

Paint looks great. Car is so cool to look at. Almost never see one.

I have 33,000 miles on mine. A lot of highway driving last year as I was relocating to another state.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast