500 Madness

Thread: Fiat, Abarth, Alfa Auto Show Display Critique

Exclamation Fiat, Abarth, Alfa Auto Show Display Critique

Now that the major auto show season has begun, please post your experience at the Fiat / Abarth / Alfa displays. Stuff like were you able to sit in the cars and what models were on display? Was it a good representation of the model lineup? How'd it stack up against the competition? Curious to see what you thought. I'm going to send this info onto the company so you may make a difference. Let us know!

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Now that the major auto show season has begun, please post your experience at the Fiat / Abarth / Alfa displays. Stuff like were you able to sit in the cars and what models were on display? Was it a good representation of the model lineup? How'd it stack up against the competition? Curious to see what you thought. I'm going to send this info onto the company so you may make a difference. Let us know!

About 2-3 years ago when I was looking for a replacement daily/beater, I went to the local new autoshow. It's held at one of the colleges here( huge indoor and outdoor stadiums) and every local dealership had all of the current and upcoming models there for you to check out. Some were locked, some were not, and some even let you test drive them(my friend test drove a prius ). I had a list of cars I wanted to check out, the 500 abarth was NOT one of them. I sat in at least 40 cars that day ranging from the new miata, hellcat, 80k+ mercedes, audi R8, focus RS, minivans, fully loaded dually diesel trucks, etc.

In the third arena just about smack dab in the middle was this little dark grey 500C abarth, it was next to the 500x and alfa 4c(sat in both also).
    20160320_151257.jpg
    I've seen them before and thought they were neat little cars, but I was never in one, never thought about getting one. My friend told me to get in and see if I'd fit, jokingly of course. I'm glad he did because I got to look that car over inside and out. Sat in it and was pleasantly surprised by how roomy this little car was, front and back seats. Popped the hood found out it was turbo, this was about when the rep came over and started talking to me about the car. After going over some of the facts and numbers no one cares about(looking at you MPG) he asked me if I had heard this little race car. With a smirk I asked him "what is this thing straight piped or something?" He laughed and told me to go look under the car, well surprise it's a straight pipe from the DP all the way out the back. He started the car up and I was sold, I had to drive one.

About a month later when I started to go for test drives the little fiat was the first on my list, and I eventually ended up getting because of that show.
    2004 - Mazda Rx8 (Dorito powa)
    2012 - Fiat Abarth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sonicsdaman For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsdaman View Post
    About 2-3 years ago when I was looking for a replacement daily/beater, I went to the local new autoshow. It's held at one of the colleges here( huge indoor and outdoor stadiums) and every local dealership had all of the current and upcoming models there for you to check out. Some were locked, some were not, and some even let you test drive them(my friend test drove a prius ). I had a list of cars I wanted to check out, the 500 abarth was NOT one of them. I sat in at least 40 cars that day ranging from the new miata, hellcat, 80k+ mercedes, audi R8, focus RS, minivans, fully loaded dually diesel trucks, etc.

In the third arena just about smack dab in the middle was this little dark grey 500C abarth, it was next to the 500x and alfa 4c(sat in both also).
    20160320_151257.jpg
    I've seen them before and thought they were neat little cars, but I was never in one, never thought about getting one. My friend told me to get in and see if I'd fit, jokingly of course. I'm glad he did because I got to look that car over inside and out. Sat in it and was pleasantly surprised by how roomy this little car was, front and back seats. Popped the hood found out it was turbo, this was about when the rep came over and started talking to me about the car. After going over some of the facts and numbers no one cares about(looking at you MPG) he asked me if I had heard this little race car. With a smirk I asked him "what is this thing straight piped or something?" He laughed and told me to go look under the car, well surprise it's a straight pipe from the DP all the way out the back. He started the car up and I was sold, I had to drive one.

About a month later when I started to go for test drives the little fiat was the first on my list, and I eventually ended up getting because of that show.
    Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Every year in Chicago they have the same Abarth and you know what, it doesn't matter because none of the cars are advertised, even the 500X which did great in a comparison from one of the mags. Is there a reason for this? I wonder what happens when Fiat goes away once again?
    2013 500 Abarth/Nero metallic/Mich AS3's on O.Z. 45th anniversary whls
    Italian flag colored body & custom rocker panel stripes/35% SunTek tint
    500Madness MaxPower 93 tune/GoPedal/lightened crank pulley/5K HIDs
    MPx axle-back/ported TB/NUE-F torque mount/28mm rear sway bar
    ATM FMIC/GFB DV/NGEN cue ball shiftknob/BLACK shiftboot w/red stitching
    Nokya yellow fogs/NGEN clear side bumper lenses/Euro Compulsion SRI

Thanks
    LA Auto Show 12/1
    I’ve been considering the Abarth 500 as a replacement for my MR2 Spyder for a while now. Finally got a chance to have the Mrs. see it at the auto show. Was able to sit in a fully loaded one and show her that the size is manageable.

Unfortunately the rear hatch did not open at all. I asked the Fiat gal and she had no idea why it wouldn’t open, and even reached tried to open it climbing inside to the back. Made do with the back of he 500e to demo storage space. Presentation was good at the Fiat section and I was glad that the sticker showed the $20k base price.

A nice bonus was that they let you test drive the Abarth out on the road circling the Convention Center and that helped make the sale (i.e. get the Mrs. to say yes). However the FCA rep that rode with us was insufferable. Major minus points to her for misinformation about the model and general rude customer service. @Fiat500USA It was enough to motivate me to register for this forum and make this post.

Thanks
    I mentioned this elsewhere but worth reiterating. Fiat's showing at the Central Florida Auto Show in Orlando was terrible. No 500s or Abarths were on site that I saw. Just 1 L, 2 X, and 1 124 that was on a stand where you were not allowed to sit in it (Mazda allowed you to sit in both of their Miatas) and these were in a far corner and generally not seen by most. At least there was a lady showing how the 124's top operated but it would have made more sense to allow people to check it out in person. Alfa Romeo had a slightly better showing as they were right where people entered the show. They were allowing people to sit in both of their cars too, a Stelvio and a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
    2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
    RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio
    500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, LED interior lights.