500 Madness

Thread: 2017 Autocross Wrap-Up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 997 Posts

2017 Autocross Wrap-Up

For this year I took 1st in HS with the Tidewater Sports Car Club in Virginia Beach, but with only a handful of other drivers even doing 1 or 2 events, that's not saying much! I'm more proud of taking 10th overall for the club in their season long PAX championship. In three years of driving with them, I ended 2015 in 29th overall, then 20th last year, so the jump up to top ten was more than I was aiming for this year. Also to be honest, the club had fewer overall drivers this year, likely due to having lost one nice big venue to compete at, so almost all events were held at the small Pungo site. Either way you have to show up and compete, so no complaints from me since I still managed to improve my points average in each event, and was more consistent from month to month.

I know every club does things differently, but I really liked how the TSCC did their overall PAX scoring. The fastest PAX driver gets 100, and then everyone else scores less than 100 by dividing their time into the winner's PAX time. I put a longer write-up on our NMS blog that is linked in my signature. Next year I'm leaning towards getting the Koni's installed and doing some lowering springs, which would move me to the SCCA's new STH or "Hot Hatch" class, so along with now living in NY my goal will just be to find a bunch of events to drive in, throw in a track weekend, and continue to have fun!

Thanks to all the other autocross drivers on the forum, I love reading about more autocross and trying to get better. If you haven't tried an autocross, rallycross, or track event, it's a ton of fun to drive and have fun! Just watching videos or reading about it is nowhere near to the fun of sitting in the car as a passenger or driver!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

B3NN3TT (11-28-2017), Grabo (11-28-2017), PorcoRosso (12-06-2017)

Thanks
    Congrats! It's always interesting to read others experiences on the track. Looks like you've made some solid improvements over the years! I'd welcome a smaller course every now and then. Our events are usually too big and sweeping for the Abarth to be any kind of competitive, but on the smaller more technical courses, she really shines. That being said, who doesn't like open throttle and big sweepers lol.

Good luck in the next season! Let me know if you're ever down in Jersey with NASA!
    2012 Abarth Grigio - TWM Shifter, Neu-f Torque Arm Insert, El Gatos Chassis Braces, Neu-f Front Sway Bar & Rear Torsion Bar, GFB DV+

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PorcoRosso For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (12-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 997 Posts
    PorcoRosso,

Thanks! I love the bigger autocross courses, but yeah probably lose out to the higher powered cars that way!

I'm going to do a NASA weekend somewhere next year, bought one of the discounted HPDE weekends on the NASA Northeast website as an early Xmas present already! I'm leaning towards Lime Rock, but Jersey would be good...so it'll probably come down to which weekend I can be sure to get away from work!

The NASA weekend I did this year was very well run, and cheaper than SCCA events I've looked at, so overall I think the NASA folks are doing some great stuff.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/