500 Madness

Thread: ABS RBS and ESC lights all came on

Thanks

ABS RBS and ESC lights all came on

Cruising along at 35 in cruise control, I tapped the brakes to slow for a turn & all the above lights came on, after a slight stutter. I've reset the 12V system a couple times and drove around the parking lot, but the lights remain on.
    I don't so much care about ABS or ESC right now (the car's going back shortly) but I sure hope the regen system (RBS, right?) is working. That would certainly cramp my range somewhat.

Other folks have reported that the error goes away after a few drive cycles, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could check. The gassers have reported failed speed sensors and/or brake switches, but I know our cars are a little extra special when it comes to glitches. That I won't be missing..

Thanks,
    Chris

Thanks
    I recommend removing the battery and battery tray, then disconnect and clean the ground connections between the battery and 'frame'. There are four connections: Negative cable between the frame and the battery, strap between where the negative cable connects and the transmission, and the small wire that may be painted-over, which provides the ground to the dash instruments. Don't just tighten the connections. Remove, clean with a wire brush, Scotchbrite, ect., until both the frame stud, frame and cable connections are clean and shiny. After reattaching, coat the connections with some grease to reduce salt and battery acid from corroding the connections.

Thanks
    I invoked these three lights by ummm.... attempting to flatten the tread on some tires I was about to go get changed. It went away on its own by that evening. The car seemed to operate without issue the whole time.

Thanks
    Update: After driving a half-mile, the ABS light went out. By the next morning (and 35 miles later) all the other lights had gone out as well. Again, everything seemed to be completely functional, just with a lightshow on the dash.