500 Madness

Thread: Modification that came with my car, seeking advice

Thanks

Modification that came with my car, seeking advice

Here's the list of modifications that came with my 2013 Fiat Abarth with 7800 miles on the odometer. The car is awesome all around, I truly enjoy it!

The only issue I've had thus far is placing the Madness "stock" prom back in and trying to have the car inspected in the state of PA - it failed. I tried to drive it 40 miles after the stock prom was placed back in however the car still failed inspection. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Here are the upgrades the previous owner did to the car:

• Dropped it approximately 2" with Eibach springs
    • Tinted glass
    • Madness Exhaust
    • Forge Actuator
    • Max Power Engine Control Module
    • Mpx Ported Throttle Body
    • SILA Concepts Intercooler
    • Madness Hi-flow Intake
    • SILA Lightweight Pulley
    • Power Pedal Module by TMC
    • Sila Thermal Blanket

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! By the way, it appears this thing spikes up to 18lbs of boost - is this correct?

Thanks,

Lance

Thanks
    Hey Lance,

Sounds like a really solid car you've picked up!

Quote Originally Posted by racelance View Post
    2013 Fiat Abarth with 7800 miles on the odometer.
    Even as a weekend toy I can't imagine putting so few miles on!

The only issue I've had thus far is placing the Madness "stock" prom back in and trying to have the car inspected in the state of PA - it failed. I tried to drive it 40 miles after the stock prom was placed back in however the car still failed inspection. Does anyone have any feedback on this?
    Did you disconnect the battery to switch back to stock? I've also read that the ECU re-learning period is 80-100 miles. I suspect that even after 40 miles (especially without a disconnect) your ECU was still "expecting" the MaxPower to be grabbing the signal and was therefore running a bit off. Not sure why that would cause an inspection failure. Random guess: you have a persistent rich condition due to the ECU learning how to run under the MaxPower and expecting more boost than it is getting.

By the way, it appears this thing spikes up to 18lbs of boost - is this correct?
    The OEM boost gauge reads requested boost, not actual boost. I believe this also doesn't take into account the MaxPower modifications. But yes, that sounds normal even if you are actually making more boost and just not seeing it on the gauge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Hey Lance,

Sounds like a really solid car you've picked up!

Even as a weekend toy I can't imagine putting so few miles on!

Did you disconnect the battery to switch back to stock? I've also read that the ECU re-learning period is 80-100 miles. I suspect that even after 40 miles (especially without a disconnect) your ECU was still "expecting" the MaxPower to be grabbing the signal and was therefore running a bit off. Not sure why that would cause an inspection failure. Random guess: you have a persistent rich condition due to the ECU learning how to run under the MaxPower and expecting more boost than it is getting.

The OEM boost gauge reads requested boost, not actual boost. I believe this also doesn't take into account the MaxPower modifications. But yes, that sounds normal even if you are actually making more boost and just not seeing it on the gauge.
    I do own a OBD-II tool to clear codes, which I did prior to the 40 mile drive. Am I safe disconnecting the battery, checking any codes that I may have to clear then follow that up with just simply driving the car for 100+ miles? I can give that a shot...

Thanks for your help!

Lance

PS Yes, I scored on this beauty! It's a blast to drive too... in fact my '13 CTS V is sitting in storage for now (E85 tune, smaller pulley & etc.)

Thanks
    I can't say with certainty but as far as my understanding goes that should do the trick.

Reach out to Madness, their customer service is solid. They should have the best answer for temporarily going back to stock as well as how to best train the ECU after you pass your inspection. Might be 200 miles before you are back to normal, but it's worth doing it the right way.

CTS-V on E85! It must be easier to measure your fuel consumption in "gallons per mile". Just joking, that sounds like a blast!

Thanks
    Are you sure that the car doesn't' have a cat-less downpipe as well? Also make sure you disconnect the battery at least 15 minutes to reset the ECU. The clock time will be reset and flash if you waited long enough.

Thanks
    As suggested, you should contact Madness about the ECU. I know hey sell a by-pass plug so you can revert it back to stock without disconnecting all the wires. That might be the easiest thing to do. Since you already have a turbo blanket, it'll be easy to check to see if you have a catless dp. Remove your turbo bracket, undo the top 3 bolts hold the blanket in place. You should be able to see down to the down pipe. If it's big, fat, and ugly, then it's probably stock. If it's skinny (no cat) then that'll definitely create a no-pass situation. If it has a small bulge, then it's probably an after market with a 200 cell cat.
    2013 500 Turbo
    SILA Concept Short Ram | BMC air filter | Abarth exhaust | Abarth rear diffuser | RRM chassis braces | H&R sport springs | STS Rear Sway Bar | GFB DV+ | Forge WGA | Craven Speed Shift knob | MPx stubby antenea | Fumoto drain valve | EC boost leak fix | Nue-F Torqur Arm Insert | R3T Engine Cover | BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp-2 205/45/16 | Custom trunk handle
    "Some say he thought Star Wars was a documentary..."

Thanks
    Here are the codes/errors:
    fiat1.jpgfiat2.jpg

Thanks
    Pretty sweet car you picked up there.

Is the CEL currently on? A Check engine light will usually prevent you from passing smog. Those CELs seem related to the maxpower ECU or it's harness. I'd definitely reach out to Madness.

On the smog readiness monitors (second photo), you've probably got to have most or specific "non-continous" monitor tests set to complete in order to pass smog (depends on the state, in CA only the Evaporative system is allowed to be "not complete"). It takes about 2/3 minutes with the cruise control at 55-60 mph to set the catalyst monitor on my car which also has the maxpower ECU installed. Worth a shot to see if you can get it to complete the test or if the mods are impeding smog. I've got all of the information about how to set the smog readiness monitors from Fiat if you think it'll be useful (I've had to deal with kalifornia smog czars for my Abarth which I purchased with a bad PCM)

-Albs

Thanks
    Did someone make the car I bought a second time and sell that one too...?
    Well, that's just fantastic.
    Madness 500 gen1 piggyback ECM
    Madness 500 gopedal
    Madness 500 Maxfire ignition coils
    Spark plugs gapped at .022"
    Cat delete downpipe
    Magnaflow Sport Series 15211 exhaust
    Cold air intake piped to behind driver's side headlight
    FMIC
    17x7.5 Sparco wheels
    Drilled and slotted big brake rotors front & back
    Steel braided brake lines front & back
    Front top brace and bottom anti-roll bar
    Back torsion bar
    Lowering springs by Neu-F

Thanks
    Thanks, I put the Madness reverter plug in and plan on driving it that way for the next week. So far the car feels like it's still ripping pretty quick, almost like the ECU is still plugged in. I've got a 180 mile trip coming up and will get the car inspected after that. Fingers crossed I'm okay... if not, I'll take you up on your offer.

Cheers,

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMyAbarth View Post
    Pretty sweet car you picked up there.

Is the CEL currently on? A Check engine light will usually prevent you from passing smog. Those CELs seem related to the maxpower ECU or it's harness. I'd definitely reach out to Madness.

On the smog readiness monitors (second photo), you've probably got to have most or specific "non-continous" monitor tests set to complete in order to pass smog (depends on the state, in CA only the Evaporative system is allowed to be "not complete"). It takes about 2/3 minutes with the cruise control at 55-60 mph to set the catalyst monitor on my car which also has the maxpower ECU installed. Worth a shot to see if you can get it to complete the test or if the mods are impeding smog. I've got all of the information about how to set the smog readiness monitors from Fiat if you think it'll be useful (I've had to deal with kalifornia smog czars for my Abarth which I purchased with a bad PCM)

-Albs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to racelance For This Useful Post:

ILoveMyAbarth (10-12-2017)