Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

500 Trekking Front Rotors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cblasig
    • Sep 2017

500 Trekking Front Rotors

When I got my tires rotated recently, they told me that my front rotors were in bad shape and needed to be replaced. The car is less than a year old and only has 12k miles on it. I called the dealer to see what the issue was, and they said that it's normal for the X's, and that they wouldn't need to be changed. Has anybody else run into this issue? What's causing the rotor to wear faster than the pads? The car stops perfectly fine still. It's just makes a weird noise.
  • Fiat500USA
    Amministratore
    • Feb 2011

Welcome to the forum. If you got your tires rotated at one of the chain repair shops I would take what they say with a grain of salt. They love to oversell unnecessary repairs. A rotor can have some grooving in them and still be fine. If you just called them, you may want to have them inspect the brakes, however, brakes are a wear item and the cutoff on warranty on pads and rotors is 12 month/12,000 miles.
    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
    fiat 500 forum signature
    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Haring
      Lifetime Member
      • Feb 2012

Fiat studios will pull the same crap too (not all of them). When I had my Abarth I was told I needed new pads/rotors. A group of us did an install party and all did our brakes. When I got mine off they were fine. I'm guessing the service dept was slow and just wanted an extra $600 (or what ever it costs to have them do it).
      2018 Luminoso Orange 500c Lounge - H&R/Koni - Abarth Interior, 17" Wheels & Exhaust

Comment

• dnc11
        • Aug 2016

My car is one and a half year old with 8,000 miles. I went to the FIAT Studio this last Friday for an oil change, and left with new front brake pads and rotors. They were covered under warranty since they were under 12,000 miles.

Comment

• PLP
          • Sep 2016

Rotors and pads are not the best on them. We also got deep grooves. Pads were replaced as they were making high pitch squeaking noises. Still, would stop great no matter what, just the noise. There is a TSB on pads.
          As for rotors - maybe you can get them done as well... but I doubt they would be any different.
          Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
          Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• carfreak09
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by dnc11
            My car is one and a half year old with 8,000 miles. I went to the FIAT Studio this last Friday for an oil change, and left with new front brake pads and rotors. They were covered under warranty since they were under 12,000 miles.
            What exactly was wrong with your rotors and pads?

My X has 46k and the brakes are in great shape, despite all those miles being city/suburban driving. The fronts easily have 50-60% pad life left and rotors are in good shape other then one gouge line on the passenger side (some kind of debris must have caused it).
            Last edited by carfreak09; 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM.
            2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
            RRM Ultimate tuner, RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, LED interior lights.

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio (traded in April 2019)
            500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, RRM Ultimate tuner, LED interior lights.

Comment

• PLP
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by carfreak09
              My X has 46k and the brakes are in great shape, despite all those miles being city/suburban driving. The fronts easily have 50-60% pad life left and rotors are in good shape other then one gouge line on the passenger side (some kind of debris must have caused it).
              Some models somehow must have gotten bad batch of pads/rotors. No one specified, at least not to my knowledge, what production dates they were, but the problem exists. Seems yours is not one of them.

What happens is that the pads are squeaky - that's the most often happening problem. Another is that the pads dig deep groves in rotors. Braking is fine by all means, but the appearance of rotors and noise (mainly on cold brakes) is unbearable. If you add some overnight condensation, then you hear them a mile away.
              They claim it is due to some lubricant on the brake components... maybe. So far after cleaning and replacement of the pads is good.
              Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
              Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• triplany
                • Aug 2017

the rotors on my 500 had grooves, squeeled, after only 1800 miles on it. Fiat replaced the pads and rotors and now I have 5500 miles on it and everything looks perfect! I have to say my experience with my local fiat service center has been amazing!

Comment

• carfreak09
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by PLP
                  Some models somehow must have gotten bad batch of pads/rotors. No one specified, at least not to my knowledge, what production dates they were, but the problem exists. Seems yours is not one of them.

What happens is that the pads are squeaky - that's the most often happening problem. Another is that the pads dig deep groves in rotors. Braking is fine by all means, but the appearance of rotors and noise (mainly on cold brakes) is unbearable. If you add some overnight condensation, then you hear them a mile away.
                  They claim it is due to some lubricant on the brake components... maybe. So far after cleaning and replacement of the pads is good.
                  I had the squealing issue and it seems to have coincided with the development of the gouge line I mentioned. However, the noise eventually went away on its own so I never brought it up to the dealer. These brakes are definitely sturdier then my 500 turbo. That car's front rotors were warped and pretty much worn out, along with the pads at 40k.
                  2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
                  RRM Ultimate tuner, RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, LED interior lights.

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio (traded in April 2019)
                  500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, RRM Ultimate tuner, LED interior lights.

Comment

• davevoss
                    • Nov 2015

Grooving on the (especially front) brake rotors has been noticed and reported by quite a few 500X owners, however is nearly every case there wasn't an actual brake related issue, apart from the appearance of the grooves. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the brake rotors, instead the brake pads fitted happen to be fairly aggressive, which I would argue is a good thing, as the braking performance is enhanced. I'd rather have grooved rotors and shorter panic stop distances, than rotors without grooves.

Some folks prefer to only have to replace the pads when doing a brake job, however it is generally recommended that the rotors and pads be replaced together to maintain optimum brake performance. To that end, grooving on the rotors, no matter how soon after the brakes were new, doesn't really matter, as the grooves in the rotors are matched with the ridges on the pads (as they wear together), and so the braking surfaces continue to be in full contact. One could argue that if the rotors are smooth without any grooves when the pads are worn to the minimum, that those pads are too soft, and that braking performance is less than is could/should be.

Bottom line, if the brakes work as they should, and there isn't an unusual amount of noise, then try not to look at the rotor grooves too often, just plan on replacing both when the pads are worn out, as that's the best practice anyway. For reference, I have ~53k on my 500X, the pads are about half worn, the rotors have noticeable grooves, and the brakes work wonderfully without any noise.
                    -Dave Voss
                    2018 Fiat 124 Spider
                    1966 Fiat 1100D

Comment

• FiatDood
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by davevoss
                      Grooving on the (especially front) brake rotors has been noticed and reported by quite a few 500X owners, however is nearly every case there wasn't an actual brake related issue, apart from the appearance of the grooves. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the brake rotors, instead the brake pads fitted happen to be fairly aggressive, which I would argue is a good thing, as the braking performance is enhanced. I'd rather have grooved rotors and shorter panic stop distances, than rotors without grooves.

Some folks prefer to only have to replace the pads when doing a brake job, however it is generally recommended that the rotors and pads be replaced together to maintain optimum brake performance. To that end, grooving on the rotors, no matter how soon after the brakes were new, doesn't really matter, as the grooves in the rotors are matched with the ridges on the pads (as they wear together), and so the braking surfaces continue to be in full contact. One could argue that if the rotors are smooth without any grooves when the pads are worn to the minimum, that those pads are too soft, and that braking performance is less than is could/should be.

Bottom line, if the brakes work as they should, and there isn't an unusual amount of noise, then try not to look at the rotor grooves too often, just plan on replacing both when the pads are worn out, as that's the best practice anyway. For reference, I have ~53k on my 500X, the pads are about half worn, the rotors have noticeable grooves, and the brakes work wonderfully without any noise.
                      Maybe they still function OK, but the high pitch squealing is unacceptable. After the dealer replaced mine with the same components and it happened again, I had to take it upon myself to actual fix the issue. Spent $120.00 for a new after market set on Ebay and issue is no longer there. Spent money on something that should have been under warranty. Not very good service and poor quality parts
                      1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe
                      2016 Fiat Trekking Plus AWD

Comment