I might finally get 500x
500 Madness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I might finally get 500x

Thanks

I might finally get 500x

Hi guys, as a fiat fan ,and owner of fiat 500 sport it's a little damaged I am wanting to replace, it before I have to shell out for replacement parts. My guy at the fiat dealer said I am needing brake job, struts, and a transmission service. So the question is should I wait or should I buy the fiat 500x. My car has 82500 miles. My tech said at about 100,000 miles I should replace brakes, struts rear, transmission service, any maybe tires. Also I still own $2500 on the sport. The new car is $24k after tax and discount. The payment is going to be $378. Which is $93 more than the sport right now. So the x is a 2017 lounge with fwd, leather black on black, nav, backup camera, blind spot monitor, beats, sunroof.
    So what do you guys think ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neubauerjoseph For This Useful Post:

Amacento (11-16-2017)

Thanks
    So what is the cost of the various things it needs now? Needs at 100K miles? The new payment is $93 more per month, but you have no routine maintenance, other than oil and similar, for several years. The new tires and brakes are on the 500X already. So, with all the money you will shovel into your current 83,000 mile Fiat amortized over 12-24 months, how much higher is your payment really going to be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neubauerjoseph View Post
    Hi guys, as a fiat fan ,and owner of fiat 500 sport it's a little damaged I am wanting to replace, it before I have to shell out for replacement parts. My guy at the fiat dealer said I am needing brake job, struts, and a transmission service. So the question is should I wait or should I buy the fiat 500x. My car has 82500 miles. My tech said at about 100,000 miles I should replace brakes, struts rear, transmission service, any maybe tires. Also I still own $2500 on the sport. The new car is $24k after tax and discount. The payment is going to be $378. Which is $93 more than the sport right now. So the x is a 2017 lounge with fwd, leather black on black, nav, backup camera, blind spot monitor, beats, sunroof.
    So what do you guys think ?
    I agree with the previous comment. Also you may be able to get the numbers just a bit lower in your favor to lower the payment. Especially with the end of the month upon us. I wouldn't jump on the present numbers, even a few dollars more in savings would help out. Worth a try. Wishing you the best on your decision.

Thanks
    I may be an oddball, but my suggestion is to keep the sport for a while. Also make sure that the maintenance your tech is suggesting is the maintenance suggested by the owners manual, not what they recommend. A lot of these service managers work on commission and tend to upsell things your car may not need. Especially since they say your car needs rear struts, since the 500 doesn't have them. I'm guessing you meant shocks though. I hate it when I see people get taking advantage of because of "recommended" service. If it ain't broke, or in line with the scheduled service in your manual, don't pay to have it fixed.

Depreciation is always your number one cost to own a car not maintenance. I figured out a generic deprecation cost for the 500x, in the first year alone you will lose at least $6k. That's not even factoring in paying interest on the loan. I would say have a paid off car, save your money and look for a slightly used one for the near future.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Schwebel For This Useful Post:

Fabio13 (09-27-2017)

Thanks
    Shocks or struts... potatoes potatos. Yes, technically it is a different thing, but the words are used all over the place.

At 80k miles you should replace struts. No questions asked. They wear. Jut like tires. You would be surprised how quieter and stiffer the car becomes after this simple, yet quote expensive repair.

To answer the main question.
    Yes and no.
    Sure, go for a new car if you can afford it. But keep in mind FIATs drop their value a lot in the first year. You could maybe find a used one, there are many of them with low mileage. It is still under factory warranty, yet the price already dropped, and someone else took the loss.
    Or do the math. And you will see that even despite the lack of needed maintenance, the new car will cost you more.
    How many more payments do you have? 8 or so? The new one would be for the next 6 years of payments, I predict from your numbers here. Plus if you like your car - I would stay with it. Lounge will not be sport... not at all.
    Now it is worth 24k. Which is a bit pricey I would say. MSRP is 25.2 or so.

visit www.fiatusa.com and see what offers are available for your area. In MI I have 3000 for purchase. 2000 for lease. That itself makes 22.2, so it may be that your dealer is not really dropping the price for you, but uses FIAT offers only to lure you in.
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T (me)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats, in Yellow... bumble bee (wife)

Thanks
    I'm getting ready to do the same. Picking up on Friday. Yes they depreciate rapidly but what does it matter if you keep for a long time. I'm getting a 2017 lounge with lounge and advanced safety package. They are giving me about 5000 off and 5000 for a 2006 Subaru imprezza with 123000 miles. Had the Subaru for almost 9 years. My payment will be less than 300/month. I'd say go for it....

What's the list price on the window sticker? Are you trading in? What is the price before taxes? Did they give you rebates? Did they give you a trade allowance or break out the wholesale price of the car and discount separately (not likely)? If they gave you a trade allowance, ask them how much without the trade (tell them you are going to try to sell the car yourself). This way you can see the actual discount they are giving you plus what they are really giving you for your car. Can't tell what kind of deal this is without all those questions being answered.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    They didnt break it down, they was washing me out $2500 is what they said. Also the repairs on my fiat would be in the next 15k miles, $1096 plus tires I usually drive 8-10k per year. So I figure about $1600 on my sport. I have sligh body damage on my hood.
    So I need to replace my hood, my rear bumper and wheels have scratches, so I figure I would have another $2000 + before = $3000 to fix everything to almost like new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by neubauerjoseph View Post
    They didnt break it down, they was washing me out $2500 is what they said. Also the repairs on my fiat would be in the next 15k miles, $1096 plus tires I usually drive 8-10k per year. So I figure about $1600 on my sport. I have sligh body damage on my hood.
    So I need to replace my hood, my rear bumper and wheels have scratches, so I figure I would have another $2000 + before = $3000 to fix everything to almost like new condition.

Woa! Have them break everything down on buyers order so you can see exactly what's going on. Rebates, discounts and all. Tell them to give you the price with and without the trade. This way you know what they are giving you for your car. How much is your car worth selling privately? Naturally the dealer is going to give you wholesale for it, so it's going to be a lot lower, but you get the convenience of not dealing with people jerk your chain when selling your car. That's a decission you need to make if it's worth what they are giving you.

Without knowing all the figures, you can't really judge this deal. You can go onto Edmunds and figure out dealer cost for the car. Of course they need to make something but you should get a discount along with rebates plus the wholesale value of your car.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Get the X!!! Does it have to be a new one? I found an '14 Turbo in the rame color like I had a Sport in and was interested in it. My car stickered for $30k and luckily got it out the door for $25k last August 2016. Making decent payments and trade-in is only $16k and I owe a little more than that....so trade-in/sell value for the X is going to drop. Reason i ask if it has to be new is my dealer is selling used X's for $15-18k. If I wouldn't have bought mine I'd definitely be looking over the stock of used ones out there now.
    2016 FIAT 500X Plus - Magnaflow #19279 Exhaust (save your money not worth it) - 18" Matte Black Forgestar F14's - AEM Intake (save your money not worth it) - Madness Lowering Springs (awesome...love them)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast