500 Madness

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: I might finally get 500x

Thanks
    It's like this my wife really likes the drive 500x, but is so hot on the looks. We can buying that new
    QX56 she likes it every way. Since I work at Infiniti I get my car payment paid. I know they are the same or not even close
    But I like that car. In the end it was a tough choice but I still love the fiat brand. It gave me 5-6 years of great ownership.
    Maybe in a few year I will bring one home again. Just can't thank fiat enough for such a great car.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neubauerjoseph For This Useful Post:

PLP (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    Reviving this thread from last month regarding a year-end 500x purchase.

From those of you who own a 500x, is $19,000 OTD merely a decent price, or is it a too-good-to-pass-up price for a new 2017 Pop in the color/transmission/engine that I want if I have decided that I'm definitely in on a 500x? The only negative is the 5.0 Uconnect--by virtue of the Popular Package--that apart from the backup camera and fancy clock/radio display seems to have little functionality.

From what I'm finding online, the base model 2018 Pop will come standard with a new 7" Uconnect touchscreen that will offer navigation and Apple Carplay. MSRP will be $21,000 (plus, I'm sure, the $995 destination charge on top of that). Figure another $2k on top of that for taxes, fees, and swapping my plate over, and the price will be $24,000. Are there always some discounts or rebates available, even early in the model year? My local dealer does have a 500x in my build on order, but come March when it's expected to hit the lot, I won't have any leverage.

I have messaged one or two about this; can anyone offer enlightenment here?

Thanks
    Last edited by EveryMann; 11-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryMann View Post
    From those of you who own a 500x, is $19,000 OTD merely a decent price, or is it a too-good-to-pass-up price for a new 2017 Pop in the color/transmission/engine that I want if I have decided that I'm definitely in on a 500x?
    So, if MSRP is 21.8 OTD would be about 23.5, right?
    Currently, for my ZIP area, FIAT offers 2250 in rebates for 2017. That makes the MSRP at 19.55, add tax and such OTD would be more or less 21.1. That means the dealer drops additional 1.5k off the final cost. That is not so bad.
    Just for comparison, we purchased 2016 AWD Trekking Plus in yellow tricoat with Package 1. That comes out MSRP at 33.23 (there is always the destination fee of more or less 900). We paid OTD for it 24.5, where our trade in was priced at 3.0. If I tried, I could have sold it maybe at 4.0 or so... but I did not want to bother. So one could say we got our FIAT at 28.5 OTD (that is about 8k difference between MSRP OTD and the price we paid).
    The trade in was 2007 KIA Rondo, EX, V6, with about 60k miles. In very decent condition.
    Purchase time: Aug-2016.

so yours is not so bad.
    You may want to bounce the email/offer through one more time to see if anything more would come up.

As for getting 2018 - that is personal approach. Look what they changed.
    FIATs do not sell so well... so you might snap a deal just because they want to earn early sale for 2018 model.
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T (me)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats, in Yellow... bumble bee (wife)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    So, if MSRP is 21.8 OTD would be about 23.5, right?
    Currently, for my ZIP area, FIAT offers 2250 in rebates for 2017. That makes the MSRP at 19.55, add tax and such OTD would be more or less 21.1. That means the dealer drops additional 1.5k off the final cost. That is not so bad.
    Just for comparison, we purchased 2016 AWD Trekking Plus in yellow tricoat with Package 1. That comes out MSRP at 33.23 (there is always the destination fee of more or less 900). We paid OTD for it 24.5, where our trade in was priced at 3.0. If I tried, I could have sold it maybe at 4.0 or so... but I did not want to bother. So one could say we got our FIAT at 28.5 OTD (that is about 8k difference between MSRP OTD and the price we paid).
    The trade in was 2007 KIA Rondo, EX, V6, with about 60k miles. In very decent condition.
    Purchase time: Aug-2016.

so yours is not so bad.
    You may want to bounce the email/offer through one more time to see if anything more would come up.

As for getting 2018 - that is personal approach. Look what they changed.
    FIATs do not sell so well... so you might snap a deal just because they want to earn early sale for 2018 model.
    Thanks PLP:

Speaking of a yellow Trekking, my local dealer does have a '17 of those with 6.5" Uconnect/navigation discounted to $20k (before taxes/fees). The yellow is my second-favorite color next to arancio orange, and even though my preference is a manual transmission, I think I would buy their Trekking at that price if only the dash were matching yellow which of course it is not at that trim level.

Forgive my neophyte questions, but do dealers always offer discounts and haggle at any time in the model year? I wouldn't expect my dealer to sell me an '18 Pop once they arrive soon for the same $15,999 he was blowing out the last 2 or 3 he had left a month ago, but if I can get one for close to the $19k OTD that I have a line on now, perhaps it would be prudent to wait.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryMann View Post
    Forgive my neophyte questions, but do dealers always offer discounts and haggle at any time in the model year? I wouldn't expect my dealer to sell me an '18 Pop once they arrive soon for the same $15,999 he was blowing out the last 2 or 3 he had left a month ago, but if I can get one for close to the $19k OTD that I have a line on now, perhaps it would be prudent to wait.
    I am not sure.
    Here is what I know. The more they sell, the more they make, and the higher their discount from manufacturer (they have some sale tier levels - faster sold, more sold - better discount, and it may go as high as 20% - info based on KIA dealer in NC).
    Also, FIAT offers discounts. If you visit http://www.fiatusa.com you will find in shopping tools what offers are available. I made a mistake and I purchased my car instead of taking lease as lease had better offers at the time. I did not even consider it.
    Frankly, I regret it now as I would rather trade it in after lease being over. But that's my personal opinion.

Then, knowing what the offers are, you can easily gauge what the dealer can offer you. They most likely will use another 5-15% discount using Chrysler Friends and Family (what whatever it is called).

What 2018 will bring? I am not sure. Is it worth waiting for 2018? Maybe... maybe you will get better deal on 2017 MY then.
    My other story is with Hyundai. In 2013 I needed a new car. I went to my local dealer. They gave me the best deal ever, with tears in their eyes. It was 19k OTD for MSRP 19.5. I said - nope, too much. I can do 15K OTD. Of course impossible.
    I visited another dealer, they dropped it by 2000 right away. Then I bounced this offer through another dealer (through email) to get 700 off, and so on, and on through three more dealers. By the end of the week (it took about 6 days) I got at 15.5k in my hand and came back to the place I started with. In minutes I got their attention with 15.0k OTD offer.
    But I did not care about colour or equipment, except it was Elantra GT with MT. Basic trim was OK.

Frankly, I did not purchase it after all. I decided to go with a used one for 11k OTD. But I told my dealer - had you given me what I wanted on the very first visit, we would have gotten the deal sealed on that day.
    It was after me doing research nation wide on pricing of Elantra GTs.

So for you.
    There is no good solution. You can take the risk of waiting.
    Check how long the cars were sitting on the lots. The longer they say, the better for you. If by a chance they kept them almost a year - you can get even better deal.
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats, in Yellow... bumble bee (wife)

Couple of observations while I'm stuck at work. Comparing OTD pricing isn't going to yield an accurate comparison because taxes and fees vary from state, counties and locations. Compare prices after discounts and manufacturers incentives. If a trade is involved, dealers use trade allowances (wholesale price plus a discount off of list) so you seldom if ever know what exactly you are getting for your trade (actual wholesale price).

Dealers don't normally discount new model year cars when they have last year models sitting there. If they did, that would take away the incentive from buying the previous year's car. You have to show a considerable difference in price between last year's model and this year or there is no reason to buy. End of model year incentives are where the big discounts are so the dealer can make a copelling case to get last year's model.

Manufactures traditionally don't offer incentives (or deep incentives) on new model year cars right off the bat if there is a glut of old models. These are the normal operating procedures, however, other factors come into play and how bad they want to make a deal. Let's say a dealer doesn't have the car that you want, they may loosen up and offer a discount, but keep in mind, they don't make a lot of money on a new car ( check online the difference between invoice and list), the incentives on new model year cars aren't as great as on the clearance models and some of the discounts the dealer gets on the back end they actually need to keep the place running and aren't passed on to consumers.

An example of a back end incentive to the dealer are sales goals - if they sell x numbers of car they can get an additional x number of dollars credit. Some dealers bank on getting this credit and advertise cars assuming they are getting the maximum discount from the manufacturers. Those are typically the super cheap cars you see in the paper. The dealer gambles on hitting the sales goal. The problem is pricing like that depresses the market, as others try to match the price and dealers throw away all the profit from the cars. You then only get one tech in the shop, no loaners, no staff to call you back and generally crappy service because the staff doesn't make money and is overworked. Doing stuff like this has caused a lot of good dealers that cared to go out of business competing against these hugely discounted cars by what is known in the business as 'whore houses'.

Besides getting a good deal, make sure the place you are buying from has staff and offers services that are important to you. It's usually worth paying more money to get better service.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    Comparing OTD pricing isn't going to yield an accurate comparison because taxes and fees vary from state, counties and locations
    Here is the problem. I learnt that OTD is the only way to get what you want to pay. Sure, tax in MI is 6%, while in CA 7.5%. However, this 1.5% is barely $450 on 30k car.
    Some dealers take advantage of not using OTD price and add some surcharges, fees, and such. I had to walk away twice from getting a deal after seeing $2000 in "preparation fee", or in some other place I was charged $990 for documentation fee (just because this state did not cap it).

As for them not making lots of money... from what I was told, again, that was a few years ago and from KIA dealer in NC, they get as much as 20% discount on factory prices.
    So if MSRP is 25k, manufacturer offers 2500 discount, dealer may add another 1500, just to earn the deal, that makes OTD roughly 22.5k. This deal still leaves (if the info is valid) 3500 USD in dealers pocket.

In the end - I personally do not care what MSRP is, what discounts they used, or how much he put for my trade - as long as I pay what I like. And OTD is the only way to say what actually it is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4