500 Madness

Thread: Sacramento Section AX

Thanks

Sacramento Section AX

We're 2/3 through the season in the Sacramento Section. Rounds 7 & 8 were very different... we were able to run at the Thunderhill Raceway! We used a portion of the track as well as some runoff areas, using the pit area runoff for grid. I'd run a couple of track days there last year and was familiar with the track enough so that it was more fun than scary. The main difference is that we were going up and down hills and blind curves here and there, with slaloms and other cones throughout the course. Challenging, but lots of fun! Back to our regular course at the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds on a couple of weeks.

I'm having fun in HS and thought I'd get more competition than I've experienced. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of HS cars in each run this year. There are actually more in total, but just not all together in single runs. As a result, however, I have the strange distinction of having clinched the HS Championship with four rounds to go! I love the championship part, but more competition would have been fun. I'm still comparing my times with my former GS buddies and they're still kicking my but by 1-4 seconds. Primarily a 2000 Celica GT and a newer VW GTI.

But to show how that PAX is working out... I'm currently 14th out of a couple hundred! It would be awesome to crack the top ten, but I'm at 917 points and the #10 guy has 931. Possible, but not likely.

Hopefully there will be more challengers in 2018!
    Bill Tubbs

2013 Nero Abarth
    RRM Rear Anti-sway Bar, Neuf Shifter Adapter, NORCAL SS Custom Gauge and Pillar Pod, K&N Air Filter, Bridgestone RE-71, 205/45-16 on Sparco Assetto Gara wheels

2017 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - H Street Class Champion
    2016 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2015 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS
    2014 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2013 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 997 Posts
    Thanks for the update, congrats on HS victory! My experience has been similar with so many SCCA classes there isn't always many cars in the Street classes. Comparing yourself to everyone by PAX is my best measure also.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    When I watch some of the guys move out of the Street classes to an Sxx class, I'm tempted. But it's a slippery slope. Once you spend bucks on one upgrade, you find that you need a few thousand more to be competitive. Methinks I'll be in Street for a l-o-n-g time.
    Bill Tubbs

2013 Nero Abarth
    RRM Rear Anti-sway Bar, Neuf Shifter Adapter, NORCAL SS Custom Gauge and Pillar Pod, K&N Air Filter, Bridgestone RE-71, 205/45-16 on Sparco Assetto Gara wheels

2017 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - H Street Class Champion
    2016 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2015 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS
    2014 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2013 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS

Thanks
    I've got the same problem, for the first half of the year there were only two of us in HS. Now we're getting some Novices trickling down in their FiSTs, but it's still slim. Your PAX position seems pretty sweet though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgpiper View Post
    When I watch some of the guys move out of the Street classes to an Sxx class, I'm tempted. But it's a slippery slope. Once you spend bucks on one upgrade, you find that you need a few thousand more to be competitive. Methinks I'll be in Street for a l-o-n-g time.
    Happened with my Roush, with a vengeance. I innocently added a big brake kit and larger fuel injectors/throttle body/tune, and all of a sudden I'm in Street Modified. So then I had to get slicks, carbon fiber hood, chassis braces, rear seat delete, coilovers, and just completed an engine swap, just to keep up... things get out of hand REAL FAST when you move past Street.
    Andy
    2013 500 Abarth (Sold 3/17) 2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2000 ROUSH Cougar SMF #71 2013 Focus ST

Thanks
    I love that you have your "Nixon Motor Sports" website... Serious question though... Is there a "Nixon Motor Sports"? I began wondering if you created an LLC for your racing habit to keep your hobby separated from your family budget, etc.
    My Build Thread

Fiat 500 Sport Mods
    • MADNESS - Go Pedal, Short Shift Adapter, 16mm Spacers (all around), Carbon Fiber Front Brace, V-Maxx Coilovers
    • CORZA FORZA - Lower Cross Brace, Vertical Chassis Braces
    • OTHER - Draw-Tite Bike Rack Hitch, Window Tinting, Racing Stripes, LED Lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Carbon Fiber Shift knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 997 Posts
    Ha ha ha! Not a real race team or anything! My son and I started autocrossing, and one thing led to another, and we've just used the blog to share car stuff. Maybe when I win the lottery or fully retire I'll do something more serious, but we're just having fun. He and his South Carolina friends are about to do a LeMons endurance race in September, so the blog should have some good stories on that.
    Last edited by Robert Nixon; 08-16-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

SVAGO 1 (08-16-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgpiper View Post
    So true. And a smart decision by you. I would of stayed in street class if I could ignore that huge rear wheel arch gap before I lowered it down lol.
    2015 Abarth Rosso.
    NEU-F lowering springs / NEU-F torsion bar.