500 Madness

Thread: etrailer / Curt trailer hitch wiring

Thanks

etrailer / Curt trailer hitch wiring

I posted a little of this in a response elsewhere but it may not be seen easily.

I just installed a Curt trailer hitch on my 2013 Abarth and the process went perfectly. Now that it's on the car I'm about to order the custom wiring harness, also from etrailer. Their instructions indicate that the pigtail to the trailer just flops out under the hatch when in use and then back into the car when not being used. That makes sense so that it stays neat and clean. It also requires a lead from the module to the battery, but they don't demonstrate just where it should be routed.

Has anyone already done the wiring, and if so, where did you route the battery lead?

Thanks.
    Bill Tubbs

2013 Nero Abarth
    RRM Rear Anti-sway Bar, Neuf Shifter Adapter, NORCAL SS Custom Gauge and Pillar Pod, K&N Air Filter, Bridgestone RE-71, 205/45-16 on Sparco Assetto Gara wheels

2017 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - H Street Class Champion
    2016 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2015 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS
    2014 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2013 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS

Thanks
    My Dad just installed his trailer wiring a couple weeks ago on his Ford Taurus. They told him to route the wiring under the car but that involves having a place to get the wire to the outside of the car near the trunk/hatch area. I believe you have a chance of introducing CO2 into the car as well without a proper seal.
    In my opinion I feel like running the wire under the trim inside the car (like amp/sub wiring is typically done) and then through a grommet in the fire wall would be a better option.

As a side note, make sure you have some extra crimps, heat shrink and zip ties for the area near the footwell and battery so you can make it look neat and keep it away from unnecessary heat.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Sounds like what I was thinking but my main concern is exactly where to run the wire. Guess I'll take a closer look around the interior and find a way through the firewall that's already there. Thanks!
    Bill Tubbs

2013 Nero Abarth
    RRM Rear Anti-sway Bar, Neuf Shifter Adapter, NORCAL SS Custom Gauge and Pillar Pod, K&N Air Filter, Bridgestone RE-71, 205/45-16 on Sparco Assetto Gara wheels

2017 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - H Street Class Champion
    2016 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2015 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS
    2014 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2013 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgpiper View Post
    I posted a little of this in a response elsewhere but it may not be seen easily.

I just installed a Curt trailer hitch on my 2013 Abarth and the process went perfectly. Now that it's on the car I'm about to order the custom wiring harness, also from etrailer. Their instructions indicate that the pigtail to the trailer just flops out under the hatch when in use and then back into the car when not being used. That makes sense so that it stays neat and clean. It also requires a lead from the module to the battery, but they don't demonstrate just where it should be routed.

Has anyone already done the wiring, and if so, where did you route the battery lead?

Thanks.
    I routed mine under the car, the little box was placed in a gap in between the rear bumper and the body right under the left taillight. You will see the gap once you remove the taillight. It was tedious but it works just fine.
    Last edited by Nitracity; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.