500 Madness

Thread: First 500e in Ontario

Thanks

First 500e in Ontario

My 2015 500e arrived in Toronto, Ontario about three weeks ago from Georgia. First one in Ontario, still can't get green plates as they don't have the 500e on their list of approved electric vehicles and FCA has no interest in having it added. Currently jumping through hoops to get it added. Even my insurance company didn't know how to deal with it initially. I was looking for a sport version but when this one came up with only 260 miles I bought it right away. I've made some cosmetic changes to make it my own "sport" version. Still need the blacked out headlights. Before and after pics below.
    Attachment 27742Attachment 27744Attachment 277466 after .jpg7 after.jpg
    Last edited by Mborto; 08-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    Black and Orange--- luv your changes!

ScottDVC

Thanks
    Congratulations!i think that looks great as well.

How easy eas was it to import? We bought our 500e already imported but I am flabbergasted about what a great car it is and how cheap they can be had for, so I'm thinking of a second if I can figure cheaper car insurance out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 958 Posts
    Congrats on the 500e, what a cool deal on the low mileage.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 54K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 currently 1st place in HS: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker View Post
    Congratulations!i think that looks great as well.

How easy eas was it to import? We bought our 500e already imported but I am flabbergasted about what a great car it is and how cheap they can be had for, so I'm thinking of a second if I can figure cheaper car insurance out.
    i went through a shipper and broker who did all the documentation so it wasn't difficult at all.

Thanks
    Congrats on the 500e. It is great that people are starting to bring these into Canada now even if FCA won't do it.

How much was it for the shipping and brokerage fees? I'd be interested in a bit of breakdown in the costs but even a general number for all of it would be a great reference point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
    Congrats on the 500e. It is great that people are starting to bring these into Canada now even if FCA won't do it.

How much was it for the shipping and brokerage fees? I'd be interested in a bit of breakdown in the costs but even a general number for all of it would be a great reference point.
    Looked at cars in different states before I bought the one in Georgia so i have shipping quotes for different places:
    Stanton California to Toronto : US$1,550
    Roswell Georgia to Toronto: US$1,115
    Raleigh NC to Toronto: US$1,150

Broker fees: C$125
    but there are other fees to consider that have to be paid even if you import it yourself:
    A/C tax C$100 (if the car has air conditioning)
    Custom Form 1 fee $30 plus C$20 outport fee
    RIV fee C$333
    Plus you'll likely need a safety inspection to register the car in a province, for Ontario, that ran another C$100.
    I also got a third party inspection of the vehicle just in case.

But, I got the car for US$13,000 with only 265 miles on it, and at a reasonably good exchange rate with the recently strengthening CDN so I think it was worth it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mborto View Post
    Looked at cars in different states before I bought the one in Georgia so i have shipping quotes for different places:
    Stanton California to Toronto: US$1,550
    Roswell Georgia to Toronto: US$1,115
    Raleigh NC to Toronto: US$1,150
    Mind if I ask you who you used for shipping?

My first quote was much higher than yours. It may be due to my location versus yours so I'm getting another quote to have it sent to Toronto just in case and if it is cheaper I figure I'll just drive down and tow it back home. Otherwise, the company I'm using just wants too much.

Any help would be fantastic thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 958 Posts
    I love hearing stories like this of folks that are getting the 500e outside of CA and Oregon.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 54K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 currently 1st place in HS: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/