500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Towing capacity

Thanks

Towing capacity

For reasons I don't want to get into, I'm moving back to Las Vegas. Since I'm not taking a lot of stuff, I'm thinking of installing a trailer hitch and renting a 5'x8' trailer. What worries me is that total weight will be about 1500lbs. Can our cars handle that much weight? It'll be about 1500 miles. Can they handle that much weight for that long?
    2013 500 Turbo
    SILA Concept Short Ram | BMC air filter | Abarth exhaust | Abarth rear diffuser | RRM chassis braces | H&R sport springs | GFB DV+ | Forge WGA | Craven Speed Shift knob | MPx stubby antenea | Fumoto drain valve | EC boost leak fix | Nue-F Torqur Arm Insert | R3T Engine Cover | BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp-2 205/45/16 | Custom trunk handle
    "Some say he thought Star Wars was a documentary..."

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    Can these little cars pull the mountains pulling a trailer.I don't know.How about a Ryder with a car dolley.
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    ADVAN- RSII 17x7.5 WHEELS WITH ADVAN YOKAHAMA-AD08R 215/40/17 TIRES
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM / TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV
    EIBACH - SPORTLINES WITH KONI SHOCKS / ENERGY SUSPENSION- REAR THIN ISOLATORS
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT /
    FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER
    CORSA FORZA - REAR TORSION BAR / PROSPORT-BOOST GUAGE

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southernroadrunner View Post
    Can these little cars pull the mountains pulling a trailer.I don't know.How about a Ryder with a car dolley.
    To rent a truck and tow the car would cost $1200. To buy a class 1 hitch and rent a trailer is about $300. I'm looking into alternatives.
    2013 500 Turbo
    SILA Concept Short Ram | BMC air filter | Abarth exhaust | Abarth rear diffuser | RRM chassis braces | H&R sport springs | GFB DV+ | Forge WGA | Craven Speed Shift knob | MPx stubby antenea | Fumoto drain valve | EC boost leak fix | Nue-F Torqur Arm Insert | R3T Engine Cover | BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp-2 205/45/16 | Custom trunk handle

Thanks
    Couple of years ago at the Dragon, a guy pulled a small camper with his Fiat....a Sport I believe. He said along the flat lands it wasn't bad...but the mountains it was a bit "tough". Depending on the weight you're pulling...I would be more concerned about having to brake hard. But if you take it easy...and leave plenty of space...shouldn't be to bad. I have a hitch on mine finally...just trying to get someone to wire up the harness is the issue...dealership doesn't really want to do it because I didn't buy the hitch from them I'm guessing. Mechanic at work I think is scared to do it. Good luck.

2012 Pop Cabrio (Lil Blue/Poco Blu) 2013 Abarth Cabrio (Poco Ribelle)

Thanks
    Pretty sure the manual says these cars are not rated to tow anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
    Pretty sure the manual says these cars are not rated to tow anything.

Even with the sport button "on"
    2013 500 Turbo

Thanks
    I wouldn't try. The tow bar that are available for our cars (Curtis & drawtite) are only rated for 250 ponund tongue weight. A 1500 pound trailer is going to be more than that.

Plus you are talking about towing 60% of the car's weight. These cars weren't made for that. Look into the cost of transmission replacement and decide if you can take that risk...
    My Build Thread

Fiat 500 Sport Mods
    • MADNESS - Go Pedal, Short Shift Adapter, 16mm Spacers (all around), Carbon Fiber Front Brace, V-Maxx Coilovers
    • CORZA FORZA - Lower Cross Brace, Vertical Chassis Braces
    • OTHER - Draw-Tite Bike Rack Hitch, Window Tinting, Racing Stripes, LED Lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Carbon Fiber Shift knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzamann95 View Post
    To rent a truck and tow the car would cost $1200. To buy a class 1 hitch and rent a trailer is about $300. I'm looking into alternatives.
    Vs. a transmission repair or replacement,and I know what your working on is costs.I don't know what all your trying to take but could you ship some of it in an alternative method.Like a pack and ship or some other method. I see guys pulling Kayaks on a trailer and like one of those turtle tops mounted on one of those Harbour freight trailers but not a 5x8 loaded down I don't think.Ask the admin he comes up with some pretty good links to look at.Alot of other guys on here have made good comments
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    ADVAN- RSII 17x7.5 WHEELS WITH ADVAN YOKAHAMA-AD08R 215/40/17 TIRES
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM / TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV
    EIBACH - SPORTLINES WITH KONI SHOCKS / ENERGY SUSPENSION- REAR THIN ISOLATORS
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT /
    FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER
    CORSA FORZA - REAR TORSION BAR / PROSPORT-BOOST GUAGE

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

We had a well known member tow a car to FFO at Nashville with his Prima and wrote about it here. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...831#post536831

Similar weights, etc. Pretty interesting. The photo got deleted off his site, but there is a good description. Towing depends a lot on how the car is driven. If you are gentle on the car naturally that will cause less stress. The clutch would be the first thing that comes to mind. The car has plenty of power to tow, it is the other things like clutch, braking and stability that are more likely to cause issues. If the load isn't placed well I could imagine some very interesting handling charectersitics.
    Last edited by Fiat500USA; 07-22-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Just found an image I had laying around

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,965 Posts
    I was pretty sure the limit is around 700lbs according to the manual... not much at all. Not something I'd risk but as other posts show people have and I am sure will continue to pull things with their Fiats.

I should add not towing but weight capacity... sorry for any confusion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast