Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

OK, 2017 playlist from USB memory stick

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg Elmassian
    • Aug 2014

OK, 2017 playlist from USB memory stick

Can't seem to do it, the car is new to me, so maybe I am missing something.

I found a document where it says that playlists only work with an iPod

All songs and folders work, 20 gigabytes worth.

Also cannot delete the single playlist that shows and cannot add to it, but I was sure there was a way to add songs to it.

Thanks, and please no smart a** iPod people posts...

Greg
  • forby
    • Feb 2017

as far as I know the 2015 would only play from an i device, but the 2017 has the updated infotainment, so I'm very surprised.

Comment

• rkw
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Greg Elmassian
      I found a document where it says that playlists only work with an iPod
      Which document is it, and could you post what it says exactly here?

Originally posted by forby
      as far as I know the 2015 would only play from an i device
      I haven't tried playlists, but my 2015 plays music files from Android and memory sticks. My 2015 Blue & Me manual says:

Digital audio playback
      - You can play all your digital

audio files (.mp3, .wma, .wav, .aac) or play a customized
      playlist (.m3u or .wpl format).

Comment

• Greg Elmassian
        • Aug 2014

Well, the 2017 is not blue and me, so don't know how it helps you.... I forgot the site, I downloaded the pdf, but it is Uconnect, not B&M...

Also, realize that Uconnect systems are not all the same, this is the 5.5 inch Uconnect (that's how they classify them, the display size)

"Playlist, Podcast and audiobook commands are only available when an iPod® mobile device is connected and playing."

Greg

Comment

• siwelk
          Premium Member
          Premium Member
          • Jun 2017

I just put 2 random mp3s on a 64GB flash drive (contains other files) and popped it into my USB port. Within seconds it scanned and recognized two songs for playback. It allowed me to play them, displayed album art, I could browse folder contents by various criteria, as well as displayed song title below the speedo. I'm not sure what playlist commands are but it would appear to be working well for me. I also have an iPod classic hooked up via 3.5 mm aux and I cannot utilize any uconnect functionality. I would surmise a newer, Bluetooth capable iPod/iPhone would take full advantage of all uconnect features.
          whippin' a super fresh Abarth, gnomesayne?

Comment

• Greg Elmassian
            • Aug 2014

you did not specify what car you have...

yes, as I stated usb only is my concern

everything works except ability to create a playlist or read one from the usb

yes, according to the website, my car will control iPod/iPhone, which I'm not asking about.

Greg

Comment

• rkw
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by siwelk
              I'm not sure what playlist commands are but it would appear to be working well for me.
              By "playlists", we are referring to customized song lists. Suppose you have 50 songs on the flash drive and there are 4 favorite songs that you play most often. You can create a playlist that includes only the 4 songs. When you play the playlist, only the 4 songs will play, in the order you chose. A playlist is an index file (such as .m3u and .wpl) you can create with a text editor or music app.

Comment

• forby
                • Feb 2017

How do you make a playlist from a USB? It's not like an Ipod after all.

And siwelk must have a newer model because he mentions Album Art. The older model only as a red LCD after all.

Comment

• rkw
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by forby
                  How do you make a playlist from a USB?
                  Lots of tutorials available: https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...list+usb+drive

A music player app on Mac or PC like iTunes or Windows Media Player can create playlist files. Or, it is just a text file and you can create it yourself if you know the format. This has a description and examples of m3u playlist files: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

Comment

• forby
                    • Feb 2017

Ok Now I understand your original post.

I'm not too aware of any devices that support the M3U from a Car point of view, I have 4 and none of them currently support reading M3U, all read MP3 however.
                    I did a little research and Pioneer , Sony and Kenwood don't support this ability.

I suspect that the M3U needs a little more processing power than is available, hence why they want an Android or IOS device to handle it.

Comment

• siwelk
                      Premium Member
                      Premium Member
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Greg Elmassian
                      you did not specify what car you have...
                      I have a 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth as specified in My Garage.

Originally posted by rkw
                      By "playlists", we are referring to customized song lists. Suppose you have 50 songs on the flash drive and there are 4 favorite songs that you play most often. You can create a playlist that includes only the 4 songs. When you play the playlist, only the 4 songs will play, in the order you chose. A playlist is an index file (such as .m3u and .wpl) you can create with a text editor or music app.
                      I am using folders to manage 'playlists' as it relates to specific sets of songs on my flash drive. For example, I have two folders on the root of my drive, Playlist One and Playlist Two.
                      Each folder contains different groups of songs. I can use the uconnect interface to browse the contents of each folder. I'm not sure how this is much different than a playlist generated by iTunes.
                      I understand what a playlist file extension is (.m3u), however, I'm not certain how you get your particular USB drive and uconnect to understand what that file type means.

My uconnect media browser shows 'Playlist' as an option (like artist, folder, song, genre) but it doesn't seem as useful when using a flash drive. Perhaps that functionality is reserved for iPods/iPhones?
                      In any case, here is a short video demonstrating how I created folders (playlists) on a flash drive using iTunes to manage my music library. It's a little hard to decipher. Basically there are 5 steps.

1. Plug in USB drive, open root directory
                      2. Create folders
                      3. Use iTunes to filter or find music
                      4. Right-click on song, choose 'Show in Windows Explorer'
                      5. Copy song to the particular folder

I have also burnt an existing Playlist within iTunes to CDRW, ripped the contents to a folder on my desktop and copied that folder over to the flash drive. Erase CDRW. Repeat as necessary.
                      Last edited by siwelk; 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Greg Elmassian
                        • Aug 2014

You don't uderstand playlists. please look up playlists under mp3 players.

they are basically a text file that has a list of songs, not copying all the songs you want to a directory.

this has been around a long time... a playlist is a single file.

what if I want 10 different playlists but all of them have the same song? does not make a lot of sense to have 10 copies of the same song in 10 different folders.

this is why playlists came into existance quite a few years ago... do you know what winamp is? did you read the manual where it specifies the file extensions that the system recognizes as playlists?

Greg
                        Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 07-22-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• siwelk
                          Premium Member
                          Premium Member
                          • Jun 2017

As an IT professional and wedding DJ I can assure you I know what a playlist is.
                          I believe what it is you're actually looking for is called an iPod or mp3 player.
                          Otherwise you're making things much harder than they need to be.

How are you generating these playlist files? Do you have 10,000 mp3s on a USB drive?
                          What you're looking to do needs accomplished via music management applications (iTunes).
                          Winamp? I used to use that like twenty years ago. Same with ICQ and floppy disks.
                          Last edited by siwelk; 07-22-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• siwelk
                            Premium Member
                            Premium Member
                            • Jun 2017

I have a group of MP3 files in a folder (MyBestMusic) and want to create a playlist (same name) to play them as a named group (playlist). How do I do this ?? I am totally new to Windows, my daughter i

I tried dumping some songs into WMP and generated a .wpl file. I put the corresponding songs and the .wpl file on my USB drive.
                            I popped it in the car and went to 'Playlists' where after about 45 seconds it showed my playlist, test.wpl. I opened it and it was empty.
                            The playlist songs were saved to the USB drive root, directly next to the playlist file. Didn't work. I'll try the iTunes method on Monday maybe.
                            Last edited by siwelk; 07-22-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Greg Elmassian
                              • Aug 2014

forby, I guess you have not read your manual where it gives the 2 formats of playlists supported.

So now you are aware of a device that supports m3u, your Fiat... the situation seems to be that it's only in ipod type devices, not the USB... and no one mentioned android.. the support I am looking for is for the CAR to recognize the playlist on a media device, specifically a USB stick...

I know I am writing this clearly.

Anyway, anyone else get playlists working on USB?

Greg

Comment