Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

I might check a parts listing first, especially if a Fiat dealer isn't close by. This diagram shows the door and latch mechanism. (You might want to change...

Alfa is self destructing into incompetency. They are going all in on EV just as the market for them crashes. The Tonale is a failure. It is like $10k...

I've been eyeing the t4 from 500madness except for three issues 1- I can't find anyone anywhere that has it to review 2- they don't give enough technical...

Manual Shifting your 500 Automatic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mokie
    • Nov 2016

Manual Shifting your 500 Automatic

Hi All,
    Was wondering how many of you automatic transmission owners use the manual shifting option AND if you think it helps with mileage and/or performance? I have been playing around with it lately, just to get some more fun out of my Pop. I have experience with a manual transmission, although I have not driven once since 2010, so kind of appreciate the clutchless shifting. LMK your thoughts.

Thanks and Happy Fourth of July to All
    Mokie
    Mokie Johnson
    Dormont PA
    Rosso 500 Pop 2012
    Red Stubby Antenna
    Black Hood Bra
    Red Dash Cover
    Black/Red Seat Covers
    All-Weather Trunk Liner

1.4L Fender Badging
    E-Brake Leather Cover by Black
    Red Billet Oil Cap
    Flaming Ball Shift Knob
    Red Sila Floor Mats
    500 Logo Door Sill Plates
    Alutec Grip Wheels (Anthracite)
    Window Tinting Rear 3 20% Front 2 35%
    Magneti Marelli Faux Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps
    Faux Carbon Fibre Door Handle Scratch Protectors
    Matte Black Centre Hood Stripe

• rustbucket
    • May 2013

Originally posted by Mokie
    Hi All,
    Was wondering how many of you automatic transmission owners use the manual shifting option AND if you think it helps with mileage and/or performance? I have been playing around with it lately, just to get some more fun out of my Pop. I have experience with a manual transmission, although I have not driven once since 2010, so kind of appreciate the clutchless shifting. LMK your thoughts.

Thanks and Happy Fourth of July to All
    Mokie
    My experience with the automatic is limited to a couple days with a '15 Sport loaner. I had to learn quickly ... I inadvertently took off from the studio directly on to a freeway entrance ramp in manual mode and for a few seconds, couldn't figure out why it wasn't shifting . The seat of pants accelerometer says the car felt quicker in manual mode but only an actual test could say for sure- it is definitely lots more fun. Don't know about mpg. I'm generally not a fan of automatics in general and especially in small cars- 1000 miles in six days in Chevy Spark rental was a miserable experience but FIAT got this one right, especially for the North American market. Left alone, it shifts smoothly and has adequate acceleration; manual mode brings out the 500's sporting nature. The only thing I'd change is perhaps the addition of paddle shifters.

A Happy Fourth to you too and to all here.
    2018 FIAT 500 Abarth- manual, 17" wheels, sunroof, perla white tricoat, red leather, bone stock (for now) daily driver

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn crew cab- 5.7L eTorque Hemi (mild hybrid), 3.92 rear axle, diamond black crystal pearl coat

2021 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King, billiard red, RDRS

Comment

• saypat
      Lifetime Member
      Lifetime Member
      • Jan 2015

I have a 2015 AT. When going up some hills coming home the car seems to lug if I don't give it a lot of gas. So, I usually put it into manual mode and on these hills it is usually in 3rd or 4th gear .... and no lugging anymore.

Would be nice to know if the gas mileage is the same if someone left it in manual mode.

Comment

• bryanintowson
        • Mar 2012

It's OK - it's actually not a bad little gearbox. I find that I wanted an automatic gearbox so I just let it shift for itself 99% of the time.

Definitely can be fun in sport mode in the twistys.

Comment

• NSngineer
          • Feb 2015

With the SPORT button on and the GoPedal set, I think our 2015 Abarth does fine, although I might miss having the downshift on a standard transmission.
          I got new knees in 2012 but my 72 year-old shoulders, elbow and ankles say, "Thanks AT."
          EVE, 2015 Bianco Abarth
          GoPedal; 500Madness 28mm rear torsion bar; polished aluminum oil cap; K&N air filter; 16mm spacers on front wheels, 17" bronze Abarth wheels with Pirelli's; Italian stripes, red stripes, red Abarth stripes, red checkerboard roof; red and black Sila floor and trunk mats, red leather hatch strap, badges and vinyl track and autocross cones decals, red turbo blanket and red silicone air intake, 500SPEEDLAB hood lift ...needs more scorpions...

Comment

• Mokie
            • Nov 2016

I am going to do some "training" for the next month and then see if there is a mileage improvement at all. I am sure any mileage improvement would be contingent on relatively skilled shifting. As for performance, it already seems much better Off The Line in the manual mode.
            Mokie Johnson
            Dormont PA
            Rosso 500 Pop 2012
            Red Stubby Antenna
            Black Hood Bra
            Red Dash Cover
            Black/Red Seat Covers
            All-Weather Trunk Liner

1.4L Fender Badging
            E-Brake Leather Cover by Black
            Red Billet Oil Cap
            Flaming Ball Shift Knob
            Red Sila Floor Mats
            500 Logo Door Sill Plates
            Alutec Grip Wheels (Anthracite)
            Window Tinting Rear 3 20% Front 2 35%
            Magneti Marelli Faux Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps
            Faux Carbon Fibre Door Handle Scratch Protectors
            Matte Black Centre Hood Stripe

Comment

• mlkfiat
              • Jun 2016

My wife and I bought our 2014 Sport one year ago. We both were driving manual transmission cars before then - my wife's PT Cruiser is still in the garage, so we still are.
              In my case, it is the first auto transmission car I've driven regularly since 1979.
              I use the manual shift option reasonably regularly. Not to save gas, but for the control it gives me, and the fun too. I rarely drive all day in manual mode. Instead, I'll use it during parts of most drives, and let the auto transmission handle the rest.
              Downshifting is great, and I would miss having the choice. But I also enjoy letting the transmission do what it can do by itself when I'm driving on the highway with the cruise control on (it works better in auto).
              I'll tell you though, when it comes to stop and go traffic, the automatic clutch is the best thing since Italian spirit.
              Followed closely by "Hill Assist", which is a gift indeed.
              Last edited by mlkfiat; 07-03-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• SilverioSan
                • Mar 2018

This is only my honest opinion but I have no data yet. I do believe that using the automatic transmission in manual shifting in city traffic condition would help not only to consume less gasoline but also be more in control of your car. I find out that the automatic transmission would go down to the 2nd gear when instead I would remain still on the 3rd gear for example. I think for sure there will be an increase in performance with overall less gasoline consumed.

Comment

• lammie200

I have used the Autostick mode extensively on both the Sport that I used to have and the Abarth that I have now. For just flat land driving you won't get better gas mileage than letting the car shift itself. It also won't be any faster. For challenging driving it is essential to manually shift because you won't be in the torque power band on hills, acceleration on demand like passing, in corners and turns, etc.

If the AT didn't have this function or if it wasn't laid out with the + going downward and - going upward, I would have opted for an MT. It is very ergonomic. If you really want fun you should purchase a TMC Autoflash. Search for it. It will tune up the AT in good ways.
                  2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM Leather | OEM 17s | Max Flo Wrapped CAI | E+D Tune P1 | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx AB Exhaust | RRM Turbo Blanket | Forge RBOV DV & WGA | ATM FMIC | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/16mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces & Camber Plates | 4 Konis | 4 Springs | GP End Links | MPx MC Bracket | Power Stop Z23 Pads & Rotors | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

2013 Sport Argento SR - SOLD - | Many Mods

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Dec 2015

I agree with a lot of you guys on this issue, but if you go in and find the video that explains the automatic shifting set up on the Abarth and I am referring to the video of the lady that developed it, its a very good explination of the way to drive it to get maximum performance and mileage out of the car. It's set up for fuel mileage and if you think about it she states in there it is made to stay in gear just like your using a manual shift transmission. I really noticed that when we did the Abarth experience. I will be interested in the comments of you folks when you get done testing the car by manually shifting it to see if you get more mileage or not. The really increased mileage on the car I noticed the most was when I put the EC 4.1 on and it went up 1-2 mpg with no computer enhancement.
                    !!!!! Gulia Hunt Begins !!!!
                    !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• Since1958
                      • Jun 2012

My 2012 Pop generally was in "auto" mode but when I'm in mountainous terrain (Blue Ridge anyone?), it's nice to be able to anticipate what's coming up and whether braking and/or power will be needed 'round the next turn. The automatic is blind and can only respond, not anticipate.

Comment

• Oct 2017

The listings for the horsepower and torque outputs for the Abarth MT and AT differ from each other. Manual is still rated at 160hp/170tq. The automatic is rated at 157hp/183tq. This suggests that either the torque converter lowers parasitic loss due to less rotating mass, or the auto trans ratios “unlock” more torque while sacrificing next to nothing. I’m curious to know if these listed outputs make a difference in 1/4 mile times, trap speed, and top speed.

C510 PERFORMANCE FIVE-SPEED MANUAL
                        1st & 2nd Gear: Double Cone
                        3rd, 4th, & 5th Gear: Single Cone
                        Gear Ratios:
                        1st 3.909
                        2nd 2.238
                        3rd 1.520
                        4th 1.156
                        5th 0.872
                        Reverse 3.909
                        Final Drive Ratio 3.353

AISIN SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC
                        Auto Stick driver-interactive manual control and electronically modulated torque converter clutch
                        Gear Ratios:
                        1st 4.04
                        2nd 2.37
                        3rd 1.56
                        4th 1.16
                        5th 0.85
                        6th 0.67
                        Reverse 3.19
                        Final Drive Ratio 3.50
                        Overall Top Gear 2.35
                        2013 Fiat 500 Pop (Grigio) - Totaled!
                        2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Beats Ed. (Grigio) - Sold!
                        2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (Redfire Metallic) - 10K mi.
                        1991 Ford Mustang LX Notchback (Black) - 12K mi.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                          Amministratore
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 1320
                          The listings for the horsepower and torque outputs for the Abarth MT and AT differ from each other. Manual is still rated at 160hp/170tq. The automatic is rated at 157hp/183tq. This suggests that either the torque converter lowers parasitic loss due to less rotating mass, or the auto trans ratios “unlock” more torque while sacrificing next to nothing. I’m curious to know if these listed outputs make a difference in 1/4 mile times, trap speed, and top speed.

C510 PERFORMANCE FIVE-SPEED MANUAL
                          1st & 2nd Gear: Double Cone
                          3rd, 4th, & 5th Gear: Single Cone
                          Gear Ratios:
                          1st 3.909
                          2nd 2.238
                          3rd 1.520
                          4th 1.156
                          5th 0.872
                          Reverse 3.909
                          Final Drive Ratio 3.353

AISIN SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC
                          Auto Stick driver-interactive manual control and electronically modulated torque converter clutch
                          Gear Ratios:
                          1st 4.04
                          2nd 2.37
                          3rd 1.56
                          4th 1.16
                          5th 0.85
                          6th 0.67
                          Reverse 3.19
                          Final Drive Ratio 3.50
                          Overall Top Gear 2.35
                          The torque spec is 'before' the transmission and is a function of engine tuning. The 500 Abarth equipped with the auto trans is within .2 seconds of the manual car in 0-60 mph tests.

Various articles on the 500 Abarth trans for reference convenience: http://www.fiat500usa.com/search/lab...20Transmission
                          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                          fiat 500 forum signature
                          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Oct 2017

That would make sense. So what are the true power and torque numbers AFTER parasitic loss for both the auto and manual?
                            Last edited by 1320; 06-04-2018, 09:08 AM.
                            2013 Fiat 500 Pop (Grigio) - Totaled!
                            2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Beats Ed. (Grigio) - Sold!
                            2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (Redfire Metallic) - 10K mi.
                            1991 Ford Mustang LX Notchback (Black) - 12K mi.

Comment