500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiat 500 and Abarth Headlight Bulb Change

Lightbulb Fiat 500 and Abarth Headlight Bulb Change

This tutorial will show you how to change the headlight bulb in your Fiat 500 or Fiat 500 Abarth. It is a simple job that you can do yourself and will get you acquainted with one of the neat features of your Fiat 500. The headlights used on the NAFTA Fiat 500 are a marvel of engineering. They are a bi-halogen, projector beam design that allows a single bulb to function as both the low and high beam...

Read more here

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

rustbucket (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    It's funny how easy it is on this car. A lot of newer cars that are much larger require front fascia removal or other time consuming steps...
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
    Mod List -
    Craven Speed Short Shifter + Abarth 595 Pomello Shift Knob + Poly shift linkage bushings
    TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator
    Mattjk Tweeter mod
    Otis Tuner Lug Bolts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ice445 For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (06-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 987 Posts
    Thanks for posting this, lots of photos and a good explanation is a big help!

I don't know that I've seen anyone having their headlights go out yet. I had to replace one rear bulb on my 2013 Abarth, it was simple.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (06-21-2017)

The neat thing about doing research for this story was finding out how good the bulb is on our cars. It may also explain why we get flashed at night! LOL I would say that if you lower lower car, it's probably a good idea to check your headlight alignment because these lights are bright!

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (06-21-2017)

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member SeaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nixon View Post
    Thanks for posting this, lots of photos and a good explanation is a big help!

I don't know that I've seen anyone having their headlights go out yet. I had to replace one rear bulb on my 2013 Abarth, it was simple.
    I had one go out on my 2013 Pop when I had it. I just replaced both of them. Quite easy, actually.
    Max
    FIAT Number 1:
    2012 Rosso Sport - 5M
    FIAT Number 2:
    2013 Grigio Abarth - 5M
    FIAT Number 3:
    2013 Bianco Perla Pop - 6A
    FIAT Number 4:
    2016 Verde Chiaro Sport (Automatic)
    Avorio Interior
    Automatic Temperature Control A/C
    UConnect Touch Screen with AM/FM/Sirius Radio

2016.5 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaDawg For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (06-22-2017)

Thanks
    Slight thread necro, but about 3 days after I bought my used Toothless (my black Abarth Cabrio) my headlights went out. I went back to the studio and they replaced them. Here, about a year later, my passenger light is out again. After pulling the light, I find that they had replaced them with 9003/HB2s? Is that normal? the manual says HIR2 and others have said 9012s, which is correct? I would kind of like replacing them with yellow/ambers if I could as I typically have to drive at night in heavy fog during the autumn and spring months (love living in a valley) and snow at night in winter (night shift work).
    Last edited by Bisclaveret; 08-20-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisclaveret View Post
    Slight thread necro, but about 3 days after I bought my used Toothless (my black Abarth Cabrio) my headlights went out. I went back to the studio and they replaced them. Here, about a year later, my passenger light is out again. After pulling the light, I find that they had replaced them with 9003/HB2s? Is that normal? the manual says HIR2 and others have said 9012s, which is correct? I would kind of like replacing them with yellow/ambers if I could as I typically have to drive at night in heavy fog during the autumn and spring months (love living in a valley) and snow at night in winter (night shift work).
    An HIR2 bulb is a 9012 bulb. Wow, this is a head scratcher. Do you have aftermarket headlights? Can you post an image of your headlight and the bulb you changed? A 9003 bulb is so different than a 9012 bulb physically, it is hard to imagine how they got that in there.

Thanks
    Not sure. Thier service center is primarily centered around Dodge/RAM so maybe they used what they had? Or they confused HB with HIR. I have stock headlights from what I've seen. I've already taken the different one and thrown it away, sorry, although maybe that explains how it burned out in about 10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisclaveret View Post
    Not sure. Thier service center is primarily centered around Dodge/RAM so maybe they used what they had? Or they confused HB with HIR. I have stock headlights from what I've seen. I've already taken the different one and thrown it away, sorry, although maybe that explains how it burned out in about 10 months.

What bulb did you replace it with? Did the old bulb look like the new one you put it in? A 9003 bulb is so different than a 9012 bulb I can't imagine it being able to fit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    What bulb did you replace it with? Did the old bulb look like the new one you put it in? A 9003 bulb is so different than a 9012 bulb I can't imagine it being able to fit.
    I had a left over NAPA 9012 from my sister's truck after a change that i'm using until the ones I ordered from amazon arrive later on the weekend. The one bulb was LABLED HB2 and had metal tabs in a different angle and metal body instead of the hard rubber/plastic of the other bulb, but went into a regular boot like my other bulb. No brand marks on the bulb or base (Philips, etc like is on the non-burned-out bulb.). Some generic Chinese copy? It was short-lived.

How do folks feel about the Nokya bulbs? (besides it's the cheapest option compared to PIAA (70 bucks??) and Putco brands) for non crystal-vision type bulbs?

It's funny how easy it is on this car. A lot of newer cars that are much larger require front fascia removal or other time consuming steps...
    Or some older cars. My previous car was a 3rd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder and the headlight changes were a trial. Instead of a endcap like on the FIAT there was a insulated rubber 'booty' that slipped over the back of the headlight and around the boot/connector of the light that could get stiff and wear out, and was a pain to massage back into the port and around the light. Then you had to deal with taking the light out itself, which was also a 9003, and the connectors would always seize on me even with using dialectric grease and be nearly impossible to loosen the clip off, and hope that the retaining bar/spring clipped your bulb in the correct place after yanking on the thing for 10 minutes trying to massage the connector loose.
    Last edited by Bisclaveret; 08-23-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast