Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

500X Fuel Economy question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronbo10
    • Mar 2014

500X Fuel Economy question

We've put about 1800 miles on our 2017 500X AWD so far. I've been running 87 octane and have been getting around 23-24 mpg, all suburban driving. We bought it in March, so initially I think winter gas could explain the relatively low figure. The center multi-function display (MFD) seems to be slightly optimistic in fuel economy readings (e.g. 23 mpg on MFD is likely to be about 22.6 mpg or so hand calculated).

The other day I stuck in 89 octane from a Lukoil station (never have used Lukoil gas before, but I didn't want to push it, as we were nearing empty, and this station was convenient). So now this tank is reading about 31 mpg on the MFD so far, only about 50 miles into it though. I really wasn't expecting that, and am pleasantly surprised. Usually I try to use BP (or Shell) because they're Top Tier, and I've had good FE results using their gas in our 500L. 31 mpg might make me a convert over to Lukoil, if this turns out to be repeatable.

Have any of you 500X owners tried anything other than 87 octane and achieved better FE results than what you get with 87?
  • datasage
    • May 2015

My normal driving is like 20% city roads and stop and go traffic. And 80% freeway's where i can go 70 mph. My average according to the car computer is about 26 mpg. If I go on a road trip with more freeway driving I can easily push closer to 30. Likewise if i have a week where I do alot more city driving than usual, it will drop to 23-34 mpg.

The range for the 500x is pretty significant. It does poorly for low speeds and lots of stop and go. But does ok for freeway driving.

Comment

• PLP
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by ronbo10
      The other day I stuck in 89 octane from a Lukoil station (never have used Lukoil gas before, but I didn't want to push it, as we were nearing empty, and this station was convenient). So now this tank is reading about 31 mpg on the MFD so far, only about 50 miles into it though. I really wasn't expecting that, and am pleasantly surprised. Usually I try to use BP (or Shell) because they're Top Tier, and I've had good FE results using their gas in our 500L. 31 mpg might make me a convert over to Lukoil, if this turns out to be repeatable.

Have any of you 500X owners tried anything other than 87 octane and achieved better FE results than what you get with 87?

After the whole tank, or better yet - after at least 3 of them report back with results. I can get MFD to tell me 38 mpg after coming back from gas station only to drop to regular 23 on the very next day. It all depends on the style and road you are going on.
      Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
      Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• ronbo10
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by PLP
        After the whole tank, or better yet - after at least 3 of them report back with results. I can get MFD to tell me 38 mpg after coming back from gas station only to drop to regular 23 on the very next day. It all depends on the style and road you are going on.
        No question about that- I will say that the driving environment that produced the 31 mpg wasn't so different from what I typically encounter, but time will tell. I'll use the same gas for the next 3 tanks and see if there is any real uptick in FE, and will post my results.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
          Amministratore
          • Feb 2011

If you can keep the car running in the higher gear ranges you can see a huge difference in gas mileage. City and stop and go is going to be tougher. Anyone who wants to hyper-mile the car can try shifting the car manually and can probably best the computer. Shifting under 2000 rpm will generally yield best results depending on conditions. When I drive and look at the tach, the TCM generally has selected a gear that produces +-1500 rpm for cruising. I drove the car yesterday and around 35 mph the TCM selected 5th gear. At 38 mph, if I drove carefully, I could get the car to shift itself into 6th.
          Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
          fiat 500 forum signature
          abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• davevoss
            • Nov 2015

We've put about 1800 miles on our 2017 500X AWD so far.
            Your engine is not even close to being fully run-in, and so you can expect the fuel economy to increase over time, say over the course of the first few oil changes. I have ~44k miles on my 500X, and the fuel economy continued to slowly increase until mileage was close to 30k.

I've used 89 octane since new, some may argue that 87 is okay (like the literature says), but I regularly achieve 30+ mpg on the freeway (at speeds between 60~70 mph), and never less than about 24 mpg on back roads and around town. Last weekend I traveled 300 miles on the freeway, loaded inside and with a full size mattress on the roof, and managed to achieved 28 mpg. I always fuel-up at a big-brand station (Shell, Chevron, Valero, etc.) and avoid the no-name independents, which I think can make a difference too, at least in consistency.
            -Dave Voss
            2018 Fiat 124 Spider
            1966 Fiat 1100D

Comment

• ronbo10
              • Mar 2014

Thought I'd update on observed fuel economy on our 500X. I recently filled up with Lukoil 89 octane, zero'd out the MFD, and for the first time I drove it on a 220 mile round trip that was a mix of suburban, highway and urban. I was quite pleasantly surprised- despite hitting some pretty bad stop and go rush hour traffic (the 2 hour drive out turned into a 3 hour return due to the rush), I managed 35.3 mpg. Even allowing for about 1/2 mpg error, (and sometimes the MFD is right on), nearly 35 mpg for the conditions was, I'd have to say- excellent, esp. given the poor mpg the press always seems keen to report. And this with winter gas (or, at least I'm pretty sure it's winter gas by now). On the outbound leg I was managing just shy of 38 mpg, though there is a net 200 feet drop in elevation which could account for some of that. Still, even on that leg the traffic and luck with traffic lights were far from ideal for great FE.

So yes, very pleased with that. Current mileage totals about 3,800 on our AWD Trekking, with tires inflated to 36 psi all around. Our X remains trouble free and a delight to drive. I think I've come to a better understanding of how the transmission programming functions (in "Auto" mode only though- haven't really had much use for the other 2 modes so far), and I think having some patience with and acceptance of its propensity to up-shift early and often can help with the FE you can achieve with this car. I realize that's probably true of most cars with similarly behaving transmissions, but perhaps this is especially so with the 500X's ZF 9 Speed.
              Last edited by ronbo10; 11-06-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment