500 Madness

Thread: Anybody use these headlight bulbs??

Thanks

Anybody use these headlight bulbs??

A headlight went out on my 2013 Abarth Cab, so I'm thinking of making the switch to LED lights. Found these on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A20DLZVH04R37U
    HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11(H8,H9),CREE XHP50 9600lm 6K Cool White

Anybody tried 'em? Any other recommendations for LED headlights? I'm looking for plug-n-play. No "add this resistor", no "cut a hole" crap. I save my fabrication frustrations for another car.
    If LEDs are not the way to go, what is the conventional wisdom for the best replacement halogens??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Just going to toss this out there. I tested 4-5 LED lights off Amazon and they all look great when looking AT the car but none were all that impressive in terms of projected light. Stock or even HID did much better in that regard.

Now I did have to cut holes in my headlight caps (simple task) for the HID set (9006 slim ballast from VVME) but they were less than $50 bucks, brighter than the sun and they've been working since fall 2013. I say they are bright as once Matt (shadowshaggy) stated his retinas were burned from looking into them.

Basically I am telling you that pretty much none of the LED options will likely work too well due to the headlight reflector not being designed for LED lighting. If you care about how your car looks go for it but if you care about seeing when in the car keep your options open.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

Grabo (05-19-2017), rustbucket (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Just going to toss this out there. I tested 4-5 LED lights off Amazon and they all look great when looking AT the car but none were all that impressive in terms of projected light. Stock or even HID did much better in that regard.

Now I did have to cut holes in my headlight caps (simple task) for the HID set (9006 slim ballast from VVME) but they were less than $50 bucks, brighter than the sun and they've been working since fall 2013. I say they are bright as once Matt (shadowshaggy) stated his retinas were burned from looking into them.

Basically I am telling you that pretty much none of the LED options will likely work too well due to the headlight reflector not being designed for LED lighting. If you care about how your car looks go for it but if you care about seeing when in the car keep your options open.
    In looking at the VVME website, the 9006 appear to be SINGLE BEAM headlights. Do you not have High Beams? Also, do you have the "error cancellers" they sell separately, or does the 500 recognize them without the "cancellers".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SVAGO 1 View Post
    In looking at the VVME website, the 9006 appear to be SINGLE BEAM headlights. Do you not have High Beams? Also, do you have the "error cancellers" they sell separately, or does the 500 recognize them without the "cancellers".
    Nothing special is needed just the unit and we only need a single beam.

The Fiat has a flap that opens more to expose more light for high beam and drops to lessen light for low beam.

You can roll down the window or open the door and turn the key to the on position and flick the lights... pretty loud "clunk" when the flap moves from low to high and back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

Michael T (05-21-2017)

Wow, what an interesting Fiat factoid

The Fiat has a flap that opens more to expose more light for high beam and drops to lessen light for low beam.

You can roll down the window or open the door and turn the key to the on position and flick the lights... pretty loud "clunk" when the flap moves from low to high and back.
    Mokie Johnson
    Dormont PA
    Rosso 500 Pop 2012
    Red Stubby Antenna
    Black Hood Bra
    Red Dash Cover
    Black/Red Seat Covers
    All-Weather Trunk Liner

1.4L Fender Badging
    E-Brake Handle Cover Leather by Black
    Red Billet Aluminum Oil Cap
    Flaming Ball Shift Knob
    Red Sila Floor Mats
    Alutec Grip Wheels (Anthracite)
    Window Tinting Rear 3 20% Front 2 35%
    Magneti Marelli Faux Carbon Fibre Sideview Mirror Caps

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokie View Post
    Glad someone found it useful.

Shocking how many people have heard the noise but still are not sure where it originates from.

Used to happen a lot more than it does these days with the car having been around for so long, still enough newer owners here and there though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

SeaDawg (05-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mokie View Post
    Glad someone found it useful.

Shocking how many people have heard the noise but still are not sure where it originates from.

Used to happen a lot more than it does these days with the car having been around for so long, still enough newer owners here and there though.
    I have heard it. I assumed it was a relay I was hearing click open, like a turn signal relay that has an audible click...

I use these or something like them(KENSUN CREE Bulb 9006/9012 $59.99), replaced a burnt out HID bulb in my SPORT. I like them just fine, they have an internal cooling fan that runs when they are on. Live in SoCal so not too many chances to use the high beam..
    Didn't cut anything, just pulled off the rear "cap" and they were plug and play.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SVAGO 1 View Post
    I have heard it. I assumed it was a relay I was hearing click open, like a turn signal relay that has an audible click...
    That click is the flap moving to allow or restrict the amount of light.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarmat View Post
    I use these or something like them(KENSUN CREE Bulb 9006/9012 $59.99), replaced a burnt out HID bulb in my SPORT. I like them just fine, they have an internal cooling fan that runs when they are on. Live in SoCal so not too many chances to use the high beam..
    Didn't cut anything, just pulled off the rear "cap" and they were plug and play.
    Only issue with the fan type that I have is those small fans can and do easily burn out sometimes.

They have another type with what looks like cloth loops but it is there to serve as a heatsink and the loop design adds surface area to allow the heat to dissipate more quickly.

The reason I dislike the "leave the cap off" style and prefer the VVME setup I have is never a risk of water intrusion (just in case). With mine there is a hole around the size of a quarter but the kit comes with a rubber gasket that closes and seals that hole and also helps hold the light in place.

Some use fans, some just a heatsink usually a little large and with some sharp fins FYI, then the cloth look (it is metal, copper it seems in the example below).

This is the style I don't see often but that I'd think MIGHT be better than fans in the long term.