500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broke my bilsteins :(

Thanks

Broke my bilsteins :(

I just broke my 3 year old set of bilsteins. The threaded part at the top of the strut sheared off. I put the factory front struts back on and I hate it. I want my bilsteins back

I turned right into my back lane and I heard a crunch noise coming from the front. I limped it home for 2 blocks and found this!

IMG_5089.jpg
    2013 Abarth OFT tuning, Eurocompulsion FMIC, Wheel stud conversion, Falken 615k tires, RRM intake, RRM pulley, NGen coils, GFB DV+, CPR Strut tops, Bilstein x-overs, NEU-F rear bar, NEU-F torque arm insert, Custom hood vent, Assetto Corse style front grille, Craven stubby antenna, Custom machined armrest delete, custom rear seat delete, boost fix mod, black vinyl roof.

Thanks
    Bilstein just got back to me. since the shaft is broken there is no warranty. I have never driven this off road or in any competition (autox etc)

I can have these repaired with a new shaft but they want $225 each PLUS parts. then there is shipping form Canada to California and back. They said it would be more cost effective to just buy a new set.

anyone have a set of fronts for sale?
    2013 Abarth OFT tuning, Eurocompulsion FMIC, Wheel stud conversion, Falken 615k tires, RRM intake, RRM pulley, NGen coils, GFB DV+, CPR Strut tops, Bilstein x-overs, NEU-F rear bar, NEU-F torque arm insert, Custom hood vent, Assetto Corse style front grille, Craven stubby antenna, Custom machined armrest delete, custom rear seat delete, boost fix mod, black vinyl roof.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Now I'm going to worry since mine went on in Fall 2013 and I have/do drive aggressively.

I'd hate to go back to stock after having my Bilsteins on for this long and having adjusted to the ride.

Hope you find replacements!

Thanks
    How was the nut installed? Was an air wrench used or hand tools?

Would like to know, I have set of Bilsteins as well.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. Bilstein Coilovers, RRM Rear Swaybar, SS Brake lines

Thanks
    I only hand tools. I installed them correctly. I do have CPR strut tops but I cannot see how they caused this in any way.
    never used an air wrench.

Since replacements are out of the budget and repairs are not cost effective either, I might drill out the center of the shaft and thread in a Stud. I'm not sure this will be a good idea. in Theory this should be as strong as the factory threads. I'm looking into costs and finding a machinist that will do it.
    Last edited by gundam2000; 05-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Chinese counterfeits? The only thing I can think of that would cause that is low quality steel or incorrect tempering.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
    Mod List -
    Craven Speed Short Shifter
    Abarth Competizione Pomello Shift Knob
    Mattjk Tweeter mod
    DIY Rear Seat Delete

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ice445 View Post
    Chinese counterfeits? The only thing I can think of that would cause that is low quality steel or incorrect tempering.
    I got these from Neuspeed. I doubt they are a knockoff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam2000 View Post
    I got these from Neuspeed. I doubt they are a knockoff.
    I was just kidding. The point was that even quality manufacturers eff up from time to time. That's why it's bizarre to me they won't warranty it.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
    Mod List -
    Craven Speed Short Shifter
    Abarth Competizione Pomello Shift Knob
    Mattjk Tweeter mod
    DIY Rear Seat Delete

Thanks
    That sux! Bilstein should do what's right and replace it.

Thanks
    You mentioned hand tools, were they torqued to correct specifications or just hand-tightened? I agree, Bilstein is a reputable company, and I was just about to pull the trigger on a set, but I'm a little hesitant now. Maybe worth getting those DNA Top Hats. Good luck!

Edit: Also, another thought, did you replace the strut mounts when you installed them or did you reuse the factory ones?
    Last edited by PorcoRosso; 05-22-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    2012 Abarth Grigio - TWM Shifter, Neu-f Torque Arm Insert, Neu-f Rear Torsion Bar, GFB DV+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast