500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting harder to find oil

Thanks

Getting harder to find oil

Good afternoon everyone. I have a concern that I've noticed over the past year. It's not a problem with my car at all, but with the availability of oil that I use in my car. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 since I've had the car. I don't drive the Abarth lot so I only do 2 oil changes a year. 6 months ago it was difficult to find the oil I use in my local autoparts stores. Now it's time to change it again and no one seems to carry it anymore. I live in Northeast PA so Abarth's are rare, but this new development has become an annoyance. So I'm seeking advice regarding other brands of oil that are known to be good for our cars. I have a 2012 Abarth by the way. Any input would be helpful since it appears the stores around here have given up carrying what I need. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I prefer Mobil 1 full synthetic but, that's just me. I tech'd vehicles for 20+ years, and for many of those years, I had customers who would use nothing but Mobil 1. I like Valvoline's full synthetic, as well. I do not see that Euro Pennzoil in my area either......not in wal-mart, autozone, or advanced auto parts. O'Reilly's Auto Parts is the only one I have seen it at, not sure they carry it anymore, either. Good luck!
    Joe's 2016 500 Lounge

FIAT 500FIAT 500

5.0 Uconnect w/SXM/Nav/Park Assist/Beats Audio.
    Heated Leather Seats/Power Moon Roof/Fogs.
    Firestone Firehawk GT Tires.

Thanks
    I can't find suitable oil locally either. In my case, amazon is my friend! Free shipping with amazon prime.

I've been using Motul as it meets all specs and its a bit cheaper than the Pennzoil.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-007250-.../dp/B004LEYIQ8

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5500...num+Euro+5W-40

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happyappy For This Useful Post:

Fiatfan522 (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe's 500L View Post
    I prefer Mobil 1 full synthetic but, that's just me. I tech'd vehicles for 20+ years, and for many of those years, I had customers who would use nothing but Mobil 1. I like Valvoline's full synthetic, as well. I do not see that Euro Pennzoil in my area either......not in wal-mart, autozone, or advanced auto parts. O'Reilly's Auto Parts is the only one I have seen it at, not sure they carry it anymore, either. Good luck!
    Thank you. I always used Mobil 1 in all of my previous cars, but went with the Pennzoil with my Abarth since seemed to be made for the car. I may go back to Mobil 1 at this point. It never did me wrong in the past and I had Saab turbos with over 150,000 miles that ran great with it. I want to protect my engine, but in 6 months I may drive 3,000 - 4,000 miles so it's not like the oil sees a lot of use.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiatfan522 For This Useful Post:

Joe's 500L (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiatfan522 View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I have a concern that I've noticed over the past year. It's not a problem with my car at all, but with the availability of oil that I use in my car. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 since I've had the car. I don't drive the Abarth lot so I only do 2 oil changes a year. 6 months ago it was difficult to find the oil I use in my local autoparts stores. Now it's time to change it again and no one seems to carry it anymore. I live in Northeast PA so Abarth's are rare, but this new development has become an annoyance. So I'm seeking advice regarding other brands of oil that are known to be good for our cars. I have a 2012 Abarth by the way. Any input would be helpful since it appears the stores around here have given up carrying what I need. Thanks in advance.
    I just buy it off of Amazon, they offer free one day shipping with my Prime account :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2012 500 Abarth 5spd Grigio - SOLD
    2016 500 Abarth 5spd Nero Puro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 950 Posts
    I'll echo the Amazon fans here, it's really convenient.

And if you're not driving much, you know you can go 8,000 plus miles on synthetic oil, so maybe you only need to change oil once a year.

Not a turbo, but my 4 cylinder Toyota Camry uses synthetic, and the owners manual interval is a flat 10,000 between changes. Over 118,000 miles and no issues. Today's engines and oils are way beyond the old 3,000 mile change days.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 54K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 currently 1st place in HS: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    If you can't find Pennzoil locally, use Shell Rotella T6 instead or Motul. I just order cases of 6 quarts of Pennzoil at a time on Amazon. The internet is your friend in cases like these.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth in Grigio - Veruca
    Mod List -
    Craven Speed Short Shifter
    Abarth Competizione Pomello Shift Knob
    Mattjk Tweeter mod
    DIY Rear Seat Delete

Thanks
    M1 0w40 - great stuff, easy to find, cheap. Run for 5k. No worries, be happy.

Thanks
    I end-up buying the Pennzoil from eBay , AMAZON have some good deals to. I would recommend a good vacuum pump and some long 12" to 18" long drive-socket-extension and a drive universal joint for your filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Oil-Change-Kit-500-Incl-Abarth-124-Spider-1-4L-Turbo-2012-17-5W-40/252737184498?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2055119.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pennzoil-550...72.m2749.l2649

Good Luck
    Last edited by pvflyer; 05-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

What's a Abarth?...... Glad you ask! Abarth is a small demon that will possess your soul and inspire you to get steezy at every opportunity.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pvflyer For This Useful Post:

Fiatfan522 (05-16-2017)

Thanks
    its easy to get here in Canada.

For all the people suggesting to use something other than the factory oil, please don't do it. The oil runs the Multi air system. Other brands of oil will act differently in the system. Only use what meets the specification. (there are a few oils that do).
    There have been multi air failures and it has been suspected to have been caused by using e85 fuel and or using non approved oil.
    2013 Abarth OFT tuning, Eurocompulsion FMIC, Wheel stud conversion, Falken 615k tires, Custom intake, RRM pulley, NGen coils, GFB DV+, CPR Strut tops, Vogtland x-overs, NEU-F rear bar, NEU-F torque arm insert, Custom hood vent, Assetto Corse style front grille, Craven stubby antenna, Custom machined armrest delete, custom rear seat delete, boost fix mod, black vinyl roof.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gundam2000 For This Useful Post:

Fiatfan522 (05-16-2017)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast