500 Madness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 500e NOT in California/Oregon roll call

Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 857 Posts

500e NOT in California/Oregon roll call

We've got more members with 500e models that don't live in the two states that sell them, so I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where out-of-staters might find each other or discuss any particular issues you might have. I know the discussions so far have been on finding dealers to work on the cars, installing charging stations, etc.
    From some posts in Virginia, Texas, and other places, it sure looks like the 500e coming off of leases are going for great prices, some under $10,000. That price range makes me want to fly out and buy one and trailer it back!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 52K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2016+2015: 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    I can see why someone out of CA or OR would be very concerned about purchasing a 500e since an AUTHORIZED dealerships are non-existent. According to Fiat USA customer service, the only time you need an AUTHORIZED dealer is for recalls or warranty issues. Any mechanic can do basic maintenance outlined on service interval chart located on page 331 of your owners manual- heck you can do most of it yourself, and as soon as the 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, it doesn't matter anyway.

From what I have been told from regular (NON Fiat/Chrysler) mechanics, is that all a technician does is hook the car up to an OB Diagnostic tool and look up (or google) the issue anyway. If you have a major issue, they can't diagnose, well good luck. Authorized dealers in CA & OR sometimes can't figure out their own issues....

Better pray this car is rock solid, or at least don't feel bad if you didn't pay a lot for it and it only lasts a couple years.

Thanks
    I am located in Dexter Michigan. First 500e in Michigan outside of FCA corporate.

Just an fyi to get the to the highest pay scale for a Fiat tech you have to be certified on the 500e. There are many dealers with at least one tech with that certification. I've called every Fiat dealer in Michigan and each one has one tech at each location certified on the 500e. Once the dealer has a tech certified on the 500e they can do any repair or replacement on it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charrigan For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (05-13-2017), rustbucket (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    Wow, that's interesting as I am in CA, and was told by Fiat USA, good luck finding trained techs, and many dealers can refuse service on your 500e "at thier discression". All dealerships are independently owned, and well if you did not get the 500e from them, likely they wont want to service it. And yes everything you have ever heard about Californians is true....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charrigan View Post
    I am located in Dexter Michigan. First 500e in Michigan outside of FCA corporate.

Just an fyi to get the to the highest pay scale for a Fiat tech you have to be certified on the 500e. There are many dealers with at least one tech with that certification. I've called every Fiat dealer in Michigan and each one has one tech at each location certified on the 500e. Once the dealer has a tech certified on the 500e they can do any repair or replacement on it.
    Thanks for checking that out, that is cool!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 52K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2016+2015: 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    We have a pair of Fiat 500es in our household right now - an orange and white 2013 that currently has 11,500 miles and a gray 2014 e-sport with 25,000 miles. Both were purchased from Faulkner Fiat in Mechanicsburg, PA with Fiat CPD warranties.

So far we haven't had any issues with either vehicle. They've been warmly received by most people who see them and realize that they're electric. A friend in Michigan and another friend in Texas might be picking up their own 500es pretty soon, so the word is definitely spreading.
    2013 Fiat 500e

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VeeDubTDI For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (05-14-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nixon View Post
    From some posts in Virginia, Texas, and other places, it sure looks like the 500e coming off of leases are going for great prices, some under $10,000. That price range makes me want to fly out and buy one and trailer it back!
    In March I purchased a Beautiful 2015 500e w/20k miles out of Louisiana for only $6700...Had it shipped to Florida for under $500...I love this EV...I've owned a Leaf and a Miev...The Fiat is way more fun...

I love that Disney has EV Charging at all of their parks here....I've seen one other 500e while at Epcot...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RalpheeRalph For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (05-14-2017)

Thanks
    I'm just north of Dallas/Fort Worth Airport in Texas. I picked up a 2014 500E with 15k in a nearby used car lot that had bought about a dozen of them. Tommorow morning i'll be going to a nearby dealer in Mckinney TX to have the outstanding inverter reprogramming recall and a service campaign for the "taped?" vents done along with the 2/3 year service that wasn't done. I know there isn't much service but I want it checked over and give a little support to the dealer so maybe they'll be friendlier in the future if I need help, and I do hope I never need help. They did say they could do anything else on it but it would be a wait for parts.

I'd had thought of getting a second one but the insurance on them is crazy high and it would be a 4th car for a two driver household.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evblazer For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (05-16-2017)

Thanks
    Arrigo Fiat of West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale, Florida have certified techs that can perform any work on the Fiat 500e's.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Fiat500e For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Most service departments are profit centers in their own right . . . doesn't really track that "they won't want to service it." Does track that highest pay comes from having the certification on the 500e.

Capitalism: Some times in some ways, it actually works.

P.S. Got a Luce Blue E in Albuquerque. (End of rhyme).
    Last edited by Blue Spark; 05-15-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Additional info . . .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Spark For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast