500 Madness

Thread: Hitch!

Thanks

Hitch!

Has anybody installed a hitch on their X or bought it with hitch installed already? If yes, I would like to know what brand and if it's good. All I could find is Curt brand and nothing else.

Thanks
    I don't have an "X", but I installed a Draw-Tite hitch on my 500. It was super easy. Looks like Draw-Tite makes one for the X as well. You can find both the Curt and the Draw-Tite for your 500X HERE. They look to be identical.

There is a great instructional video on eTrailer for the 500. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one for the 500X. I will also say, e-Trailer shipped quickly, very quickly. I had my hitch in less than 48 hours and I did not pay for expedited shipping. I ordered on a Monday before noon, and it was delivered before 4PM Wednesday.
    My Build Thread

Fiat 500 Sport Mods
    • MADNESS - Go Pedal, Short Shift Adapter, 16mm Spacers (all around), Carbon Fiber Front Brace, V-Maxx Coilovers
    • CORZA FORZA - Lower Cross Brace, Vertical Chassis Braces
    • OTHER - Draw-Tite Bike Rack Hitch, Window Tinting, Racing Stripes, LED Lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Carbon Fiber Shift knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SVAGO 1 For This Useful Post:

Anson500x (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    I second eTrailer.
    Even more - shop around (Amazon, HomeDepot, and others) to see if they offer lower price for anything oyu get from eTrailer.
    Yet still, order from them. Then use their 110% price match policy...

Get the T-type wiring. No splicing!! Then buy an extension cord (4-pole) instead of keeping it outside, keep the wiring in the car and only guide the extension through the hatch when needed. Otherwise it will rust like crazy... I made this mistake previously.
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T (me)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats, in Yellow... bumble bee (wife)

We have a Curt hitch on our 500X, but there is also a Drawtite available, too. Below is a post I made in an earlier thread that compares the two: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...vs-Drawtite-vs

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500USA View Post
    I have a Curt hitch that I can show pictures of. I didn't see a Drawtite one available when I bought ours.

Looking at the installation, the Curt you don't have to drop the exhaust but you do have to widen two holes in the frame to pass a bolt and anchor through. You need a good die grinder bit to cut through the frame because it is hardened steel. The Drawtite looks like you drill two 1" hole, which may be easier to do compared to grinding the holes larger as long as you have a really good holesaw. The frame is thick and hard as hell. I also see you need to bend down a bracket which is not necessary with the Curt. Reading through the two directions I think the Curt has you modify less things on the car (bend insulation and tabs) and you don't have to drop the exhaust, plus there are only two bolts on either side. Because of that, I'm thinking the Curt is a little easier to install.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

Anson500x (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    I think I like the Curt hitch! Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Any concerns with installing your own Curt Trailer hitch voiding warranty? Much cheaper for me to do it... As long as I follow weight allowances will I be ok warranty wise? Anyone with the official word on this out there? 2014 Fiat 500L.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    I second eTrailer.
    Even more - shop around (Amazon, HomeDepot, and others) to see if they offer lower price for anything oyu get from eTrailer.
    Yet still, order from them. Then use their 110% price match policy...

Get the T-type wiring. No splicing!! Then buy an extension cord (4-pole) instead of keeping it outside, keep the wiring in the car and only guide the extension through the hatch when needed. Otherwise it will rust like crazy... I made this mistake previously.
    Where did you route the wire to the battery? I just installed my etrailer hitch and am ordering the wiring kit, but I want to keep the battery lead well protected and out of the way - without going crazy over where to route it.

Also, I'm going to order the one-piece Euro-style drawbar. Looks cleaner, easier, and does the same job as the standard drawbar.
    Last edited by cgpiper; 08-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Bill Tubbs

2013 Nero Abarth
    RRM Rear Anti-sway Bar, Neuf Shifter Adapter, NORCAL SS Custom Gauge and Pillar Pod, K&N Air Filter, Bridgestone RE-71, 205/45-16 on Sparco Assetto Gara wheels

2017 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - H Street Class Champion
    2016 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2015 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS
    2014 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 3rd GS
    2013 SCCA Sacramento Chapter - 2nd GS