500 Madness

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Region fun times

Thanks
    Hey Daniel didn't know you had a thread running. I've been on here for a while but haven't been active much. You ran great at Points 4. My last 2 runs weren't as good as I hoped with all the timing issues. Think all the delays allowed my tires to cool too much. And I really need a set of harnesses. Otherwise it's been a fun car to AutoX.

2013 Abarth #32 STX

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 500AbarthGA For This Useful Post:

scooby (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Hey man! I kept meaning to ask if you were on here but it always slipped my mind. I just got lucky and pulled a good time out of my ass but then I watch other guys run and see all the places I coulda gone faster. I felt bad for your run group having to sit for so long though, that definitely affected your times.

And yeah, that harness is really one of the best things to have. Not a full-on racing harness but just enough to keep me planted so I don't have to brace myself against the door and console or hang on by the steering wheel. Those seats are really flat... or maybe I just need to workout more. It was really helpful at the track today too. I don't think I've mentioned it so far, so here's the link if anyone's interested:
    http://www.soloperformance.com/Schro...I_p_11691.html

Schroth doesn't make one for Fiat (yet), but the one for an R53 Mini fits just fine.

I'm glad you found me here, feel free to post whatever you like in this thread.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scooby For This Useful Post:

WillFiat (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 987 Posts
    Thanks for the updates! So it was a Track Night in America that two people ruined their cars? That really stinks both for them and for everyone else if you didn't get more than 1 run on track.

Have you checked your front brake pads, just to make sure you're good for track stuff? I was surprised mine had so little pad material left, but glad I put new pads on.

Totally agree with your comments on the harness, I was sliding all over the place on the Abarth leather seats on the track.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Yep, it sure was. The first crash was either driver error or mechanical failure but he went off in a heavy downhill braking zone, went through a barrier, and came to rest on his side on another portion of the track. The second I'm guessing got the last apex wrong, pushed wide and over-corrected, and spun into the barriers on the front straight at about 90mph or so. I'm just speculating as to the causes, but they were hard hits either way. Glad both drivers walked out. It made the Track Night format seem way more hardcore than I expected, but in talking to the other drivers I was told that it was exceptionally rare to have a crash at the events, let alone two.

I've got plenty enough pad for the track but I could've prepped the brakes a little better. I mostly just checked that fluid and pads were there, I haven't had time to bleed them (and I'm sure they haven't been bled since the car left the assembly line back in 2013). I spent a total of four laps behind a slower Miata before getting a point-by, and I put it into the wind after that. With a clear track in front of me I got two good, hard laps out of the brakes before they started to really fade and I had to back down a bit. Better pads and fluid would've definitely helped.

How do you like the EBC pads? One of the other Abarth guys at the track was running the Yellows as well. I was kinda leaning towards Hawk but they're a little more spendy...

Thanks
    No issues with the EBC, they worked great on track. I think there is a wide range of prices on performance track pads, so I was looking for something cheaper than the Carbotech and G-Loc, something that was more than Street rated, but not necessarily an all out Track pad. If you change your pads, you might be able to save a bit and leave the stock rear pads,,,at least mine had a LOT of material in back, but I replaced them anyway. With so much weight in the front I knew I had to replace the fronts, the back would probably be OK.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.

Thanks
    Hmmm, I may try the Yellows then, I think Hawk only has a couple of street pads for Fiat anyhow.

Found a couple of pics from AMP... nothing too spectacular, but with the event cut short the photographer didn't have a chance to take that many.

And the obligatory Randy Pobst pic, lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooby For This Useful Post:

Robert Nixon (05-20-2017), WillFiat (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Hey man! I kept meaning to ask if you were on here but it always slipped my mind. I just got lucky and pulled a good time out of my ass but then I watch other guys run and see all the places I coulda gone faster. I felt bad for your run group having to sit for so long though, that definitely affected your times.

And yeah, that harness is really one of the best things to have. Not a full-on racing harness but just enough to keep me planted so I don't have to brace myself against the door and console or hang on by the steering wheel. Those seats are really flat... or maybe I just need to workout more. It was really helpful at the track today too. I don't think I've mentioned it so far, so here's the link if anyone's interested:
    http://www.soloperformance.com/Schro...I_p_11691.html

Schroth doesn't make one for Fiat (yet), but the one for an R53 Mini fits just fine.

I'm glad you found me here, feel free to post whatever you like in this thread.
    Yeah hopefully they'll have the timing box fixed for the next Points event. I'm thinking about running AutoX Atlanta on the 28th for more practice.

I was thinking about this harness setup from Road Race https://roadracemotorsports.com/stor...846pn0cv3spb27

Thanks
    I thought about AutoX Atlanta too, but my current work schedule severely limits the number of weekends I can take off. If my schedule ever changes I'll be all over it though. Good luck!

And I didn't actually know about that RRM harness until after I'd ordered the other one, but they're both made by Schroth and the attachment points seem pretty similar so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks

Nice turnout for Points #5 on Sunday, 138 drivers split into three heats. I'd gotten my hopes up beforehand because there were three other drivers registered for H Street... four whole cars, including two Fiesta STs that I was looking forward to going up against. Come raceday, however, the FiSTs were no-shows and it was once again just me and the Mazda 3. Oh well...

So I missed a bloody gate and DNF'd my first run. Luckily about half the field missed that same gate so the corner workers threw out some pointer cones to ensure that I could make the remainder of my mistakes elsewhere. For example, I found oodles of understeer in a tight hairpin halfway through the course... all my fault though, just got excited and kept carrying too much speed into that damn corner. Weirdly enough though, my most understeer-y lap was also my fastest...

I probably could've found a little more time but the large number of Novices wanting rides and the shortened number of runs thanks to a late start meant I couldn't fix all my errors before the end of the heat. At the end of that heat I found myself 2nd in PAX... I was pretty stoked until I watched all the faster drivers come through the next two heads and annihilate my time. At the end of the day though I placed 61st out of 138 drivers, ended up 32nd in PAX, and got another class win. Fun day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scooby For This Useful Post:

WillFiat (06-14-2017)

Thanks
    Better than half the drivers on raw time is really good for HS! Looks like that rear wheel is off the ground in the last photo!

I'm not an expert, but I'm starting to think that when I understeer (because I'm too fast IN to a corner) that I should just brake earlier and shorten my driving line. Autocross is so short, that driving extra distance by understeering and squealing the tires by being too hot into the corner always sounds and looks cool, but I'm not sure it's the fastest way for me to go.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast