500 Madness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Battery 100%, miles 75??

Thanks
    Thanks rkw! I'll see if I still have a stereo cable around....

I brought my car to Fiat in Glendale, CA and waited for the gate to open just before 8am on a Saturday. It didn't open at the specific time so I called. I was told to bring my Fiat 500e to the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep Dealership a few blocks away and where I was waiting was just a Fiat sales dealership. This would have been nice to know when I called for my appointment to fix my recall issue. Service there was terrible. No customer service at all. Long wait for what I was told was a one hour job. No phone call to let me know that my car was ready like they said. I dropped my car off around 8:30am and picked it up at past noon. They couldn't answer my questions about the vents and just letting air flow. They couldn't tell me about the Pandora issue I had. They basically didn't care and didn't know about my car. If I need to bring my car in again, I'll just have to be ready for this type of service. I still love my 500e and still think it's worth it to own despite what I will need to deal with in the future if I ever need visit a dealership for service....

Thanks
    Hey Folks (and eldrick): I'm a new member, new owner of an off-lease 2014 from LA, with 23k miles (me and a million others). I'm in Maine, but the temps haven't been really cold yet. I'm alarmed to be getting basically 1 for 2 miles/range, meaning the GOM is dropping 2 miles for every mile driven. This will translate to maybe 40-50 miles off a full charge, if I dare test it (the GOM says 80 miles when charged). It's only 30-40 degrees, rarely actually below freezing. So I'm wondering if the battery may have been abused, as in deeply discharged frequently - or something like that (if that's as possible as I've read elsewhere). eldrick: Any news since your April post? Thanks! >P.S I'm testing with nothing running, no lights, heat, or even radio.
    Last edited by InArms; 12-06-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Missed important info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InArms View Post
    Hey Folks (and eldrick): I'm a new member, new owner of an off-lease 2014 from LA, with 23k miles (me and a million others). I'm in Maine, but the temps haven't been really cold yet. I'm alarmed to be getting basically 1 for 2 miles/range, meaning the GOM is dropping 2 miles for every mile driven. This will translate to maybe 40-50 miles off a full charge, if I dare test it (the GOM says 80 miles when charged). It's only 30-40 degrees, rarely actually below freezing. So I'm wondering if the battery may have been abused, as in deeply discharged frequently - or something like that (if that's as possible as I've read elsewhere). eldrick: Any news since your April post? Thanks! >P.S I'm testing with nothing running, no lights, heat, or even radio.
    some things to consider (may have been mentioned earlier in this thread).
    Cold weather is very hard on the 500e. The battery heater will try to keep the battery warm, so will draw down the battery. Is the car parked outdoors and cold soak the battery? If you run the heater / defroster (I know you said no heat) it will suck the battery down. This is my gripe with the 500e: resistive heater instead of a heat pump that some other EVs use.

High driving speeds hurt range. My 500e was a city / urban car and seldom got over 45mph.

Do you have “normal” tires, or winter tires mounted? Winter tires would likely use more power?

craig

Thanks
    Thanks Craig. Normal tires, garage (unheated, but usually 10 degrees less than ambient) very efficiently driven. So as much as I anticipate reduced range once it gets really cold, I can't imagine 30's and 40's having a 50% range reduction, especially with careful driving and no aux uses. A dealer within 2 hours is now authorized to work on these, and I'm thinking they can analyze the system for me. Do you or anyone else happen to know at what point Fiat will replace the battery? Will the system simply stop charging and give a diagnostic code of "replace battery"? In other words, am I stuck with this roughly 40 mile range total until the battery decides it's done? Thanks again, Nick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InArms View Post
    I can't imagine 30's and 40's having a 50% range reduction
    Actually that isn't far off from what I would expect (compared to 70-80F), and it's an issue with EV's in general. Lithium ion batteries lose output as the temperature drops, and drain more quickly to achieve the same performance at lower temperatures.

In cold weather it helps if you can precondition the car for 15 minutes before driving off. This means preheating the battery and cabin while the charger is plugged in. The Fiat Access app has a feature to do this remotely, but the app service is only available during the first 3 years (i.e. probably won't work after the initial lease term). To precondition manually, have the charger plugged in and turn on the car, and set the cabin heater to your desired temperature, and leave it alone 10-15 minutes.

Thanks
    Are you using the defroster, which is actually the heater? How warm is it set, if you are using the heater or defroster? Winter range didn’t bother me much because my typical commute is less than 8 miles.

i actually turned my leased 500e back in last month when I bought a Toyota Prius Prime. Only 25ish Electric miles, but 65mpg on gas. Working well for me since I seldom do more than the 25 Electric miles, but can take long road trips as a hybrid. Loved the 500e, but tough being our only car.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
    This is my gripe with the 500e: resistive heater instead of a heat pump that some other EVs use.
    I realized why this is the other day: The 500e, like a Tesla, uses the Air Conditioner to cool the battery. Plumbing in the 2nd evaporator / heat exchanger with a heat pump would probably be too complex / costly.

The Nissan and Kia have heat pumps, and non cooled / air cooled batteries.

-J
    2013 500e
    2012 Passat TDI, 2004 Touareg V10 TDI, 1999.5 Jetta TDI, 1991 350SDL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3