500 Madness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery 100%, miles 75??

Thanks

Battery 100%, miles 75??

For the first time, I've charged it to 100% and the miles show as 75. I've consistently had the car charge to 97 and it's been a COLD winter in Washington so it's not the cold. It did spend a night at 20% abandoned in a parking lot due to snow but has been charging on a level 2 charger since. Any ideas?

Thanks
    That's why it's called the "Guess-O-Meter". So many things can affect what's displayed: temperature, short trips, high speed driving, heater/defroster and probably many more. I've seen from the low 80s to 118 (might have seen 120 once).

Go out and drive 20 miles in 30-40mph traffic, without the heater, and I'll bet your GOM will make you smile :-)

Thanks
    Thanks Craig! Yeah I know that all those things affect the mileage, I've been playing with all of that for weeks :-) However it was when I first turned the key this morning that it was 100% charged but only 75 miles. It has ALWAYS been in the upper 80's or lower 90's first thing after a charge which is why I thought something might be amiss. If it hasn't been used for a couple of days could that be it? Mind you I just got back from a weeks trip away and the first journey started out at 92.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 997 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't really have anything to add, but would have to think that the estimated miles to go, like a lot of other dashboard info, is not always 100% accurate.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 59K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016+2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014+2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    That first amount you see is factoring in your driving style the last time you drove it. So, if you were driving it with the heater on, or doing a lot of accelerating or driving up hill, then the estimate will be lower. You'll see it adjust quickly if your driving style is different. I see the same thing all the time. If I got home without using the heater, it will be 90 or even 100. But if I had the heater on right into the garage, then it will be in the 70s.
    2016 500e
    2013 Abarth 500c, OFT Stage 2 tune
    1971 124 Spider 1608
    Car Blog http://danspassionforcars.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I've got a new/used 500e and I'm getting 70 miles projected range off a full charge.
    I live in New England and have only owned the car for a few days -- it's been 15-20 degrees F so I assume the poor range is due to the cold (batteries deplete faster) and the need to run the heater almost full-time.
    Hoping to have greater range when things warm-up here.
    Anyone familiar with severe cold driving with the 500e... Does my 70 miles sound about right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
    I've got a new/used 500e and I'm getting 70 miles projected range off a full charge.
    I live in New England and have only owned the car for a few days -- it's been 15-20 degrees F so I assume the poor range is due to the cold (batteries deplete faster) and the need to run the heater almost full-time.
    Anyone familiar with severe cold driving with the 500e... Does my 70 miles sound about right?
    70 miles on the guess-o-meter in cold weather, with the heater in use, sounds pretty darn good to me. When it's cold here, I set the heater/defroster at 60 degrees and just keep my jacket zipped up :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigM For This Useful Post:

geekdaddy (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
    All true, but be aware that the battery has an internal HEATER that turns on to warm the battery to an acceptable temperature, which draws as much power as the cabin heater.
    2013 500e Sport, Nero Metallic, all Abarth suspension, 17" Michi's, Koni Yellows, HID's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rnddude For This Useful Post:

geekdaddy (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    That makes sense because in this brutal cold weather, preconditioning with the 110v charger still drains the battery quite a bit. Probably b/c it's heating the battery and cabin. Need to do more evaluation, but think preconditioning with a 240v 40a charger doesn't charge the battery but doesn't drain it during preconditioning. Planning to get crankin' on a home 240v charger soon but may not be installed before super cold weather subsides here...

Quote Originally Posted by rnddude View Post
    All true, but be aware that the battery has an internal HEATER that turns on to warm the battery to an acceptable temperature, which draws as much power as the cabin heater.

Thanks
    Hello all,

I just bought my used 500e w/20k miles on it! I'm so excited about this car but I don't understand how the battery degradation shows on this car - unlike the Leaf which shows bars disappearing. Also, I charged my car to 100% and it shows 100 miles. I think this is pretty good. By the time I got to work, it was showing 85% and 94 miles. Should I be paying attention to the % more or the miles? All responses are welcome.

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast