500 Madness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fiat Sales For February 2017

Fiat Sales For February 2017

Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

Fiat Brand sales for February 2017 were flat, being nearly identical to the month before. Fiat sold a total of 2,145 cars in February compared to the 2,164 cars reported in January. Fiat sales so far this year are running 14% behind last year's despite having another car (the 124 Spider) added to this year's model lineup. Sales of the 500L MPV have dropped substantially which has more than

Read about it here...

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    I really love my 500t. I understand that it is in an odd segment of the market. Basically a 2 seater with conflicting reports on reliability. For $20,000 people can buy one of the newer a four cylinder Mustangs that have a little more perceived room. I wonder if Fiat can last in the US.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim500T For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-02-2017)

Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Thanks
    From a selfish perspective, I hope Fiat hangs in there. I have a T and an L. I started with an early build 500 Sport and then traded up to a T. I personally have had no issues with the T or L.

The Sport had issues like the Fiat badges going bad by bubbling up. Two rims were replaced because of flaking clearcoat. I also had the TPMS system replaced. Other than that, it's been good and fun.

I plan to continue buying Fiats as long as they are sold here. It's sad that the vehicles seem to be misunderstood in the US. I thought the X would hit the mark for the US Market on all fronts, however, this is not the case.

We get a lot of people in parking lots that come up to my wife and I asking about our cars. They are also complimentary as well. Although I definitely see more Fiats in the wild where I live, there should be more.

Let's see what Alfa does.
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 500ways For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-05-2017)

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    I know the big market for FCA is the Jeep and the likes. But it's been along time since I've seen an add on tv for any kind of Fiat period. You would think they would do at least a little towards the brand. We don't have a lot of dealers around here and I don't see very many running around. Haven't ever seen a 124 at all. So maybe they do tv adds in other markets. Our area is mainly trucks and that's the market here.
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    Advan- RSII 17x7.5
    Advan Yokohama - AD08R 215/40/17
    EUROCOMPULSION
    ® - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM
    MADNESS - EIBACH PRO SPRING KIT
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT

FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southernroadrunner For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    I really thought that the 500X would have sold better, the Jeep Renegade is so similar and it sells better. I drove both vehicles and I really didn't like the Jeep as well as the 500X.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rsamson67 For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-02-2017), eurodave164 (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    To give these results some context, Mini is down 24% and sold an equal 2150 units in February. Funny how none of these blogs or sites claim MinI is falling.

Mini is the most comparable to fiat in terms of product niche, it's been here over a decade and is attached to the very established bmw dealer network.

People in North America simply don't want small funky European city cars. The market for these vehicles is small and I'd say it hovers around 2500-3500 units per month.

FCA is currently pumping money into Jeep, Alfa and Maserati with multiple models, advertising and dealership expansion. I doubt they'll spend capital on Fiat cars

Maserati sold over a 1000 units last month, people like big and luxurious
    Last edited by eurodave164; 03-01-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Current: 12' Sport
    Previous: Alfa 164, Alfa Milano, BMW 325

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eurodave164 For This Useful Post:

500ways (03-02-2017), Amacento (03-02-2017), Fiat500USA (03-02-2017), ItzBitz (03-02-2017), Jim500T (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 801 Posts
    Great observations above, no argument.

For the big company of FCA, the amount of profit on a Maserati or an Alfa Giulia would have to be a lot more than on any FIAT. I guess that explains where the marketing dollars go.

On the other hand, if February sales were the same as January for FIAT, that's a good thing, since February has 3 fewer days in it! That's the type of thing that auto makers mention when comparing sales, sorry I didn't read the full press release to see if htey pointed that out.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 52K miles, Neu-f rear sway bar, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2016 and 2015: 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014/13: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert Nixon For This Useful Post:

500ways (03-02-2017), Amacento (03-02-2017), Fiat500USA (03-02-2017), Grabo (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Lots of great, hopeful and helpful comments above.

I'll add a company must hit rock bottom in declining sales before it can stabilize and begin to see any sort of recovery.

The first job FCA has is to establish what the company can accept as "rock bottom" for each brand. Marchionne hasn't announced a new rock bottom for FIAT brand since the 40-50k units per year goal. In my mind, that is still the acceptable rock bottom for the entire brand. So, each model needs to do its part to (both) hold its own and contribute to that base number. The hitch for each model is its inherent COGS challenges.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly:
    - 500 FIAT/T/ABARTH is the most costly for two reasons; it's a stand alone platform and the NA-spec (MX) is a different build to the EU-spec
    - 500L FIAT is the second most costly but; all are built in one (RS) factory, it is the cornerstone of the small-wide platform and it sells well in EU
    - 500X FIAT is fortunate and unfortunate because; the Melfi (IT) plant also builds the Renegade and it's an extension of the small-wide platform
    - 124 FIAT/ABARTH is very fortunate to; share a platform with another (JP) manufacturer and is built by said manufacturer... that's a double-win

These are the factors I always have in mind when I read monthly sales reports. I also consider shared components between models... the more FIAT can do that the better off each model is. All this is exactly why Marchionne keeps looking to consolidate with another automaker. Why did it seem GM would be ideal for FCA? The fact the small-wide platform was codeveloped by FIAT & GM doesn't hurt. Personally, I think it would be better for FIAT to consolidate with Mazda. The Japanese automaker is doing well in the US, despite being a smaller company, AND it already shares history with Italian design (Giorgetto Giugiaro) and FIAT. I know it seems smarter to merge with another bigger company, but VAG has built its house by acquiring smaller foreign players (Bentley, Bugatti, Ducati, Italdesign, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT and Skoda). Those acquisitions yielded marketshare in the UK, Italy, Austria, Spain and Czech Republic (as well as other Slavic countries that respect Skoda). FIAT once dominated Europe by foreign licenses. Get that Mazda deal done... maybe the two could coax Mitsubishi away from Renault-Nissan. The first Mitsubishi passenger was a rebadged FIAT and that Japanese brand has a history with Chrysler. Shared risk drives down COGS.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

http://cc5club.blogspot.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/CC5Club/

https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

“... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy.” - James May

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amacento For This Useful Post:

500ways (03-02-2017), Fiat500USA (03-02-2017)

Carpe Diem Lifetime Member 500ways's Avatar
    Thanks
    After reading the posts that follow my post from yesterday, I feel better. Thanks to all! I am one of the brand's biggest fans and supporters. I wasn't able to step back and see the forest yesterday.

On another note, I read an FCA press release that shows some good numbers for the Giulia. Fingers crossed.

For FCA overall, maybe a Mazda merger makes sense, Amacento - thanks!
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 500ways For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southernroadrunner View Post
    I know the big market for FCA is the Jeep and the likes. But it's been along time since I've seen an add on tv for any kind of Fiat period. You would think they would do at least a little towards the brand. We don't have a lot of dealers around here and I don't see very many running around. Haven't ever seen a 124 at all. So maybe they do tv adds in other markets. Our area is mainly trucks and that's the market here.
    You didn't watch the Super Bowl then. They had ads for the 124.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doohickie For This Useful Post:

Amacento (03-05-2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast