500 Madness

Thread: Door Panel Removal

Thanks

Door Panel Removal

The lovely gardening staff in my neighborhood were moving and ran over a pile of rocks with their lawnmower and one of them was flung at my rear passenger window. Needless to say it must have been the perfect storm because it shattered the window. The window is still "intact" but if I move it or the car at all it will most definitely disintegrate.

Now onto my question. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow and it's not that I don't trust the guys at Safelite to know how to open up the door panel, I just don't trust them to do it without breaking anything. So does anyone know how to remove the panel safely without breaking anything?
    2014 Fiat 500L
    Bianco
    Standard Transmission
    Madness GoPedal
    Bonalume Blow Off Adapter Plate
    SILA Concepts Turbo Blanket

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,087 Posts
    I haven't had to remove a door panel, but I'm thinking the Safelite guys know what they're doing, have used them before and always been happy.
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 61K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Thanks
    Hopefully. However with many things Fiat (especially the 500L) many people don't seem to know much about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    2014 Fiat 500L
    Bianco
    Standard Transmission
    Madness GoPedal

Fiat 500L Door Panel Removal

How to remove the door panel on a Fiat 500L

• Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
    • Using a trim stick or old credit card, etc., remove the side view mirror flag cover.
    • Disconnect the power mirror wiring connector.
    • Using the trim stick, remove the door tweeter cover.
    • With the use of a small soft pick tool remove the fastener cover at the bottom of the power window switch/grab handle pocket. Remove the fastener.
    • Using the trim stick, release the window switch/grab handle inner retainers.
    • Disconnect the window switch wiring connectors.

• Remove the fasteners (2) from the door trim panel (1).
    • Using the trim stick, remove the door trim panel inner retainers.
    • Lift the door trim panel up to detach the inner belt molding from the door flange. But:

Do not remove the trim panel at this time.

• Looking in from behind the door trim panel, you need to disconnect the latch rod from the door trim panel and the interior latch handle.
    • Disconnect the tweeter wiring connector.
    • Remove the trim panel from the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

DeSoulo (09-12-2018), Ez2517 (02-06-2017), WileyCoyote (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Fiat500USA!!! This is really good info. Any chance you have the rear door panel removal?
    2014 Fiat 500L
    Bianco
    Standard Transmission
    Madness GoPedal

Quote Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
    Thanks Fiat500USA!!! This is really good info. Any chance you have the rear door panel removal?
    Removing removing the rear door panel on the Fiat 500L is basically the same as the front. Instead of the mirror trim piece there is the trim in the rear corner that you pry off. You have to disconnect the door latch rod from the door trim panel and the interior latch handle before you remove the door panel.

Here is the location of the fasteners.

Attached Images Attached Images

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

DeSoulo (09-12-2018), Ez2517 (02-06-2017), WileyCoyote (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Update:

The Safelite guy came around 4pm PST. He seemed knowledgeable about Fiats calling them "Just Like BMWs" because BMW bought Fiat. Not correct me, but as far as I know, FCA is currently the only parent company for Fiat. But regardless he was able to get everything off and it's apparently really easy compared to other cars. Well he totally jinxed himself. He installed the glass, channels, and rubber super quick then when he attempted to roll up the window it was really slow, kept doing the "antipinch" feature the whole way until it stopped full around 1/2 inch from closed. So he took everything off (except the glass) to try and see what was catching. Couldn't see anything. Reassembled every except the door panel to watch from the inside. It rolled all the way up with no problems. Put the door panel on and it repeated the same symptoms. Again took off everything to again check for issues. Nothing. It was obvious that the door panel was causing the window to come out of the channel. So at my suggestion he rolled the window all the way up when he put on the door panel (before he had the window down to make it easier) and voila! The glass remained in the channel and everything worked perfectly. Now I don't blame the guy whatsoever because all things Fiat are weird but the entire process took 2 hours roughly. I feel bad because it was his last install of the week and it took 45-60 mins longer than he was expecting.

TLDR: L's are strange and if you need a rear door window replaced make sure that your or the tech get the glass in the channels with the rubber and INSTALL THE DOOR PANEL WITH THE WINDOW ALL THE WAY UP. This will make you life easier. Read above if you want to know why.
    2014 Fiat 500L
    Bianco
    Standard Transmission
    Madness GoPedal

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WileyCoyote For This Useful Post:

DeSoulo (09-12-2018), Fiat500USA (02-05-2017), Joe's 500L (02-19-2017)

Thanks
    Seems he mixed up Fiat and Mini

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ez2517 For This Useful Post:

WileyCoyote (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ez2517 View Post
    Seems he mixed up Fiat and Mini
    It's good to know I'm not crazy. It's a little disgusting that he confused the two. Makes much more sense why he thought that " He remembered the panel removal to but much harder than it was." I'm assuming he was comparing it to a Countryman or some other 4 door mini. Nevertheless, I'm glad its fixed and reimbursed by the gardeners. Now to tint match it to the other side...
    2014 Fiat 500L
    Bianco
    Standard Transmission
    Madness GoPedal

Thanks
    Anyone know how to remove 500x door panel? I need to replace driver's side outside door handle and can find tutorials for lots of other models and have taken the interior off the door, however underneath there is a solid plastic panel instead of the plastic sheeting. I was a little unsure once it appeared the window motor was attached to the plastic panel so I backed off. How about it Fiat500USA?