Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Thinking of buy a 2015 500e

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CriticalMass
    • Jan 2017

Thinking of buy a 2015 500e

Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2015 500e. I'm seeing a lot of used, low mileage 500e's at great price points. I understand that there was a recall. I recently inquired about one and the dealer told me the low cost was due to the car being a "lemon law buyback." Can anyone tell me if I need to be leery of anything before making the purchase? Is there anyone that would recommend not purchasing a 500e?

Thanks,

John
  • Southernroadrunner
    Lifetime Member
    • Dec 2015

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in searching for your E!!!
    !!!!! Gulia Hunt Begins !!!!
    !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• charrigan
      • Jan 2017

Lemon buyback cars have a potential to be a big headache. If you have access to a carfax you can find out the servicing dealer. Then if you're lucky when you call the service department they can tell you major items replaced recently. That would give you an idea how big or how small of an issue you had.

Comment

• Ballinger
        • Feb 2014

Yeah, yeah: CarFax it, because a "Lemoned" car will show up that way.

The thing is, very few were Lemoned, but all were recalled for software updates any Fiat Dealer that services the electrics (ie not all Fiat dealers) can do in about 90 minutes. The deals out there are outstanding and remember: there's an 8 year warranty on the batteries.

Comment

• maximizese
          • Jan 2017

I just bought a used off-lease 2013 500e with 24K miles on it for $7,300 out the door from one of those questionable used car sales lots. I considered buying a buyback vehicle from a Chrysler dealership, but after thinking it through decided to let it be someone else's problem. In order for a car to be branded a Lemon and bought-back from the manufacturer, the car must have 3 or 4 issues within the year. That usually means that a car was assembled very poorly or the issue was never fully remedied. If it were something as simple as wind noise or a battery pack that was bad and needed replacing, I could live with that. However, if the issue is something like a water leak, bad wiring, or something minute, it'd be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Maybe that's too dramatic, perhaps a french fry in a haystack. I would stay away unless you're looking for a project.

Carfax lists the issue cited for the buyback, but they do not state whether or not the issue was resolved. In a few cases, I saw the citation "battery concern" but again I don't know if replacing the battery or updating the software would fix it or if the real issue is something else.

Comment

• DaveN007
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by maximizese
            I just bought a used off-lease 2013 500e with 24K miles on it for $7,300 out the door from one of those questionable used car sales lots. I considered buying a buyback vehicle from a Chrysler dealership, but after thinking it through decided to let it be someone else's problem. In order for a car to be branded a Lemon and bought-back from the manufacturer, the car must have 3 or 4 issues within the year. That usually means that a car was assembled very poorly or the issue was never fully remedied. If it were something as simple as wind noise or a battery pack that was bad and needed replacing, I could live with that. However, if the issue is something like a water leak, bad wiring, or something minute, it'd be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Maybe that's too dramatic, perhaps a french fry in a haystack. I would stay away unless you're looking for a project.

Carfax lists the issue cited for the buyback, but they do not state whether or not the issue was resolved. In a few cases, I saw the citation "battery concern" but again I don't know if replacing the battery or updating the software would fix it or if the real issue is something else.
            I understand the concern about Lemon Law cars in general, but it's a bit more complicated with the 500e.

You are mis-stating the lemon law, by the way. If a car is in the shop for 30 cumulative days over some period of time when it is new, it also can be returned. Your 500e...especially early on...could EASILY be in the shop that long for an easy to fix problem because of the lack of parts and technicians. Mainly technicians.

THIS is where many of the cars are coming from. Usually a software glitch with the orchestration between the 12v battery, the propulsion battery, the motor, and the charging system. Any fault = brick in your driveway. The fix was usually simple. Replace a module. Done. This is what happened with my car. But it took 5 weeks. Waiting for the technician. The dealership gave me a new Abarth as a loaner, so I had no desire to send the car back, but many people freaked out (justifiably) and exercised their option to send the car back when facing similar circumstances. My car was flawless for the next two years.

So...

In my estimation, the majority of lemon law 500e cars out there are perfectly fine. But of course, there have got to be some that are possessed by demons, also.

Not arguing against your logic. Just adding some food for thought. Would I buy a lemon law car? No, but I wouldn't buy any used 500e. I leased two more new ones, so we all have different priorities. My point is that if a used one is OK, then a lemon law car isn't a completely crazy idea.
            Last edited by DaveN007; 01-18-2017, 03:34 PM.
            HYBRID GARAGE
            2016 500e (Electric)
            2012 Cayman R (Passion)
            2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
            2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Comment

• rjlong
              • Nov 2014

I recently bought a 2015 with 17,000 miles through Carvana.com. I absolutely love the car. Both recalls had already been complied with prior to delivery of the car. I'm only speaking about my experience, and I can tell you that everything Carvana advertises about their 7 day test drive is true. They brought me a second 500e to test drive just because I liked the color better. If you're looking for a great, low-risk way to buy a used 500e, I cannot recommend more going through Caravan. Check it out.
              Originally posted by CriticalMass
              Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2015 500e. I'm seeing a lot of used, low mileage 500e's at great price points. I understand that there was a recall. I recently inquired about one and the dealer told me the low cost was due to the car being a "lemon law buyback." Can anyone tell me if I need to be leery of anything before making the purchase? Is there anyone that would recommend not purchasing a 500e?

Thanks,

John

Comment

• rjlong
                • Nov 2014

Comment

• DaveN007
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by rjlong
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]25113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25114[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25115[/ATTACH]
                  It looks brand new. Congrats! I recognize the logo license plate...I think a neighbor just got his the same way.
                  HYBRID GARAGE
                  2016 500e (Electric)
                  2012 Cayman R (Passion)
                  2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
                  2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Comment

• Greenie-Techie-Cheapie
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rjlong
                    I recently bought a 2015 with 17,000 miles through Carvana.com. I absolutely love the car. Both recalls had already been complied with prior to delivery of the car. I'm only speaking about my experience, and I can tell you that everything Carvana advertises about their 7 day test drive is true. They brought me a second 500e to test drive just because I liked the color better. If you're looking for a great, low-risk way to buy a used 500e, I cannot recommend more going through Caravan. Check it out.
                    I'm wondering, did you then take the second one in the better color? It sounds like you stayed with the first one, but I'm not sure.

Also, were you somewhat able to negotiate on the price, or is the price posted take it or leave it?

Also, there in Fort Lauderdale, was there a problem getting the car to you or extra cost?

And finally, are there any Fiat dealers where you can take it for repair, or are you out of luck?

I'm thinking it might be good to follow in your footsteps.

Comment

• timz
                      • Jan 2017

Also be careful about the lemon branded car, your insurance company may not insure it, or may charge much higher rates to insure it.

I had a salvage car a long time ago, and back then (20 years ago), my insurance company would not carry collision on it, only liability.

That said, even clean carfax, unbranded 500e's are pretty cheap. I was able to get a 2013 off-lease 500e (it had been leased from Nov. 2013 to Nov 2016), and I bought it a little more than a week ago, it's white, with 17k miles and moon roof, clean carfax, for $5988 ($6923 total - high because in California you pay a hefty fee for the lapsed registration, registration was over $400, - lapsed since Nov. 2016).

Comment

• rjlong
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Greenie-Techie-Cheapie
                        I'm wondering, did you then take the second one in the better color? It sounds like you stayed with the first one, but I'm not sure.

Also, were you somewhat able to negotiate on the price, or is the price posted take it or leave it?

Also, there in Fort Lauderdale, was there a problem getting the car to you or extra cost?

And finally, are there any Fiat dealers where you can take it for repair, or are you out of luck?

I'm thinking it might be good to follow in your footsteps.
                        I kept the first one. It was in better overall condition. Not that the second car was ratted out, it just had more minor blemishes and looked more like a used car, whereas the first one looks so good, everyone thinks it's new.

The price is pretty much set. I think you could try calling to negotiate, but I was really happy with Carvana's price, as it was $1000 cheaper than any local dealer for a 2013 with the shorter warranty. The 2015 warranty beats everyone else's EV drivetrain warranty except Tesla.

Free delivery to Fort Lauderdale. They have a South Florida distribution center, so that worked out nicely. Both times.

There is Arrigo Fiat Sawgrass for dealers in the area. They only have one Fiat tech, so you have to drop your car and leave it until he can get to it. There are reports that the dealer in West Palm has several techs that are 500e certified, but I haven't had experience with them.

I'm a huge fan of the 500e, and think it is the best used car value available. I love mine, and intend to carry on with modifications like I did with my Abarth, only I have to get a little more creative as the aftermarket just isn't as extensive for the e's. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have, based on my experience.

Comment