500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New owner...lots of questions... Can I mine miles/kWh from anywhere?

Thanks

New owner...lots of questions... Can I mine miles/kWh from anywhere?

Just picked up a black 2016 for my daughter. Leased 36 months. Super neat car so far. But, like any new owner, I am chasing the things that are important to me...

I have the unconnect thing all working on both my android and iphones, but wanted to know if there is any way to collect the miles/kWh data on the car? I see that the app tells me this statistic for the "last trip" and trip A and B, but can I get to this from my PC somehow? I would essentially like to go scrape a webpage with this data every hour and log it if the mileage has changed. Or sone thin something like that anyway...just looking for more data!

Thanks
    No replies yet....hmmm.

Does anyone know how to access the odometer or trip A/B data found in the app from a PC / webpage?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneoctane View Post
    No replies yet....hmmm.

Does anyone know how to access the odometer or trip A/B data found in the app from a PC / webpage?
    You are asking a coding question. I'd hit up a Github community. Using Ruby or Python you should be able to build something that can be CF-pushed into a container somewhere.

It would be helpful if you gave us an idea of what you are looking to understand. Getting hourly updates would result in data that would be pretty meaningless when out of context.

Especially if you are not the driver.

Example: Car parked outside when it is cold for any length of time is going to experience low mile/kwh while battery is "conditioned". Is the car being driven hard or was it just cold? Was the climate control on? Was it going up hill?

I drove a 500e for 2 years, then got two more (a replacement for me and a new one for my daughter), so I may be someone to bounce ideas off of. I tend to open the door of my daughter's car when its in the garage and glance at the stats on her display to see if anything is out of the ordinary. She loves her car, by the way.
    HYBRID GARAGE
    2016 500e (Electric)
    2011 335d (Diesel)
    2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
    2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Thanks
    There is the eco:drive application that can get You some data http://www.fiatusa.com/en/mobile_apps/fiat-ecodrive/

If You ant to collect raw data You could get an OBDII reader (wifi, bluetooth) paired to a cellular phone to send data.
    There are some application that collect and log data.

Thanks
    Thanks for replying. I might have asked too much at the start of the thread. As of now, I'm just looking for a way to gain access to the data that shows up in the phone app on a PC. I tried the eco:drive application and got this:
    Not Found

The requested URL /ecodrive/us/default.htm was not found on this server.

I am going to just try and log odometer, miles/kWh to compare to my manual calculations. I'd really like to see how efficient the charger is, but in order to calculate that, I need to know how many kWh the Fiat thinks it's charging each night (I can measure what I must supply). For example, yesterday the Fiat was driven 12.1 miles and I charged it overnight consuming 4.88kWh. That works out to 2.48 miles/kWh, including charging inefficiencies. I'm just looking for more of this type of data. Anyway, maybe the ecodrive site is just down now, I'll try it tomorrow. Just collecting data for now to see how things are working since it's all new to me. If I can find a way to get this info from my PC, I can start to just log it and not be so manual.... Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MJAB View Post
    If You ant to collect raw data You could get an OBDII reader (wifi, bluetooth) paired to a cellular phone to send data.
    Do not use an OBD2 reader on the 500e !!!

The 500e is not OBD2 compliant and does not have an OBD2 port. The 500e has the same type of connector as OBD2, but it runs a proprietary interface. If you plug an OBD device into it, it will interpret the signals wrong and potentially damage the car.

(click on "view previous comments" to fully expand these threads).
    https://plus.google.com/114670827799...ts/RQw9mZCuGyM
    https://plus.google.com/105119010529...ts/Ysj4ywAMrqS

Thanks
    Thanks for replying. I might have asked too much at the start of the thread. As of now, I'm just looking for a way to gain access to the data that shows up in the phone app on a PC. I tried the eco:drive application and got this:
    Not Found

The requested URL /ecodrive/us/default.htm was not found on this server.

I am going to just try and log odometer, miles/kWh to compare to my manual calculations. I'd really like to see how efficient the charger is, but in order to calculate that, I need to know how many kWh the Fiat thinks it's charging each night (I can measure what I must supply). For example, yesterday the Fiat was driven 12.1 miles and I charged it overnight consuming 4.88kWh. That works out to 2.48 miles/kWh, including charging inefficiencies. I'm just looking for more of this type of data. Anyway, maybe the ecodrive site is just down now, I'll try it tomorrow. Just collecting data for now to see how things are working since it's all new to me. If I can find a way to get this info from my PC, I can start to just log it and not be so manual.... Thanks again.

We may be twins. Separated at birth. Lol.

One thing to keep in mind as you pursue this "buffet of data" is that there is a bit of a mystery surrounding the physical "capacity" of the "battery" versus what is exposed and accessible for charging/discharging in a given day.

The best estimate so far is that around 21 kWh of discharge represents 100 percent.

You can use a killawatt to measure what you are delivering the car versus what it reports as available.

My tests revealed that I paid for 1.3 to 1.4 kWh to put 1 kWh into the "battery". But that was based on 24 kWh.

Over time it became apparent that 100 percent does not equal 24 kWh. It is closer to 21.

The problem with all of this is that we are relying on numbers reported by a system that is making a lot of assumptions.

You can standardize on "percentage remaining" and "miles drive". That's objective. Reports of miles per kWh are affected by what a car is telling you. I don't trust that to yield objective numbers. ESPECIALLY comparing different brands.

Ultimately I settled on Odometer + my Killawatt readings. I know how far I drive. I know how much power the car is pulling form my wall. I know how much that power costs me.

I round the number to 3.

3 miles per kWh that I am paying for. At .11 per kWh, that means "fuel costs" are about 4 cents per mile. That's my fuzzy math.

It's fun, isn't it?

The car miles per kWh number is a relative number that helps track relative efficiency. Nothing more. It can't be accurately compared to what some guy in a Bolt or a Tesla claim to get.
    Last edited by DaveN007; 01-10-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    HYBRID GARAGE
    2016 500e (Electric)
    2011 335d (Diesel)
    2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
    2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I will likely figure out that there is not much variation to the miles per kwh on these, but at least I will have a sensitivity to review my daughters driving habits

I finally got lazy and replaced my kill-a-watt meter with a WiFi Edimax SP-2101W from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Wi-Fi-...words=SP-2101W)
    because I am tired of reading the meter manually. Plus I can get reports sent to me from this smart plug.... Now if only I could find a way to automatically get my daily odometer reading....

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I will likely figure out that there is not much variation to the miles per kwh on these, but at least I will have a sensitivity to review my daughters driving habits

I finally got lazy and replaced my kill-a-watt meter with a WiFi Edimax SP-2101W from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Wi-Fi-...words=SP-2101W)
    because I am tired of reading the meter manually. Plus I can get reports sent to me from this smart plug.... Now if only I could find a way to automatically get my daily odometer reading....
    If you really want to know. http://www.motosafety.com

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT AN OBD DEVICE LIKE THIS MIGHT NOT WORK IN A 500E. IT MIGHT EVEN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE CAR. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFOR PLUGGING SOMETHING INTO THAT PORT.
    Last edited by DaveN007; 01-13-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    HYBRID GARAGE
    2016 500e (Electric)
    2011 335d (Diesel)
    2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
    2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveN007 View Post
    If you really want to know. http://www.motosafety.com
    Are you using this on a 500e? It says, "Plugs into the OBDII port under your dash", which is very risky in a 500e and I'm surprised it would work (see my earlier post).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast