500 Madness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few Questions for Fiat 500e owners

Thanks

A few Questions for Fiat 500e owners

Hi, new on this forum.

We own a Volt 2017 as our Only car today. We are starting to need a second car, so I am looking into a used Spark EV or Fiat 500e, which are around 9k (or below) for 2015 -2013 and fairly low mileage.

I have the following questions for the owners of the Fiat 500e out there.

1- Did you consider the Spark EV when you got your 500e, and if so what made you choose the Fiat over the Spark?
    2- Have you seen any battery issues / degradation after the first 2 -3 years or more.
    3- What is your average Mileage on a full charge under reasonable driving conditions
    4- Any other maintenance issue coming up after 3 years?
    5- Is the Manufacturer warranty on the 500e 4 years 60kmiles, and is it the same for all year models (2013 to 2015)
    6- What is the usable capacity of the battery out of the 24kwh

Thank you for your feedback
    Last edited by scrambler; 01-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    I can only comment on some items as we leased an E for 2 years.

The battery appeared unchanged in total charge it would take/range and it was charged everyday since it was a commuter car. Warm weather charge/range was always higher than cold days.

The car had some software recalls but otherwise there was zero maintenance required on the car during our stewardship (I think they ask you bring it in once a year to be checked but I didn't need to since they did whatever when the recall happened)

I suspect tires would be the first actual cost.

It really was a fun little car; quick enough, small and nimble enough and I much prefer the styling over most of the other comparable EVs
    Wicked Dot - Rosso+black Abarth 500c
    MoJo - Electric Orange 500e stealth performer - lease over, replaced with a faster! E

Thanks
    1- Did you consider the Spark EV when you got your 500e, and if so what made you choose the Fiat over the Spark?
    I seriously considered the Spark EV and came close to choosing it over the 500e. By practical considerations, Spark EV would have been the sensible choice (4 doors, more advanced infotainment system, better supported by the manufacturer, probably more reliable). However, I had a hard time getting past its ugliness (inside and out) and the thought of having to look at it every day made my eyes hurt. I guess I was looking for reasons not to choose it, and I found my excuse when I test drove both cars and found the 500e more fun to drive.

2- Have you seen any battery issues / degradation after the first 2 -3 years or more.
    I have not seen a degradation but only had the car 2 years so far (of a 3 year lease).

3- What is your average Mileage on a full charge under reasonable driving conditions
    Hard to say because I never run it from full to empty. I guess it would work out anywhere from 60 to 100 miles depending on conditions. That's a very wide range but a lot depends on ambient temperature and amount of freeway driving at the speed limit.

I have done zero maintenance.

5- Is the Manufacturer warranty on the 500e 4 years 60kmiles, and is it the same for all year models (2013 to 2015)
    The basic warranty is 4 years 50K miles, main battery warranty is 8 years 100K miles.

I can only point you to some anecdotal observations:
    https://plus.google.com/109815911250...ts/R1uzirAkbtR
    https://plus.google.com/+PradeepSand...ts/fcophuDNnpB

Thanks
    Thank you all so far.

About the EVSE provided with the car, is it a Level 1 (110v), or a level 2 (240v)?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
    Thank you all so far.

About the EVSE provided with the car, is it a Level 1 (110v), or a level 2 (240v)?

Thanks again
    Cable with car is Level 1. The onboard charger on the Fiat is faster via Level 2 than the Spark. Fiat is either 6.6 or 7.2 and the Spark is 3.3 IIRC. (My numbers could be off.) BUT you can get DC fast charging as an option with Spark.

Yes. My choice came down to style. The Fiat evokes a certain passion.

No measurable degradation in two years with first car.

60 to 100 miles

My first car had a software glitch within a week of getting it home. After the fix, it was perfect for balance of two years. Zero issues so far with the two 2016s that we leased in August and September of this year. One car has thrown some error messages that clear by restarting the car, so I hope I didn't just jinx my daughter's car.

4/50 and 8 years for battery

That's an academic question. It seems like they have over provisioned by about 3 kWh. That is based purely on observations and data points that the car gives you. Best guess is that a "full charge" exposes maybe 21 kWh. That seems in line with observed range of 60 to 100 miles and an understanding that 3 to 5 miles per kWh is what EVs are likely to achieve in 80 percent of driving conditions.

TEMPERATURE, SPEED, DRIVING STYLE AND TERRAIN affect range just like in an ICE car. It's just more noticeable in an EV because of limited range/time to charge. Even teslas have this issue. I often pass Teslas that are in the slow lane on long commutes.

The REAL questions you need to ask is:

How much time will it take to fix a used 500e under warranty when the dealership is under zero lemon law pressure?

Answer: Dealerships have been closing. You will either never see the inside of a dealership and have zero problems, or your car will take 2 or 3 months to repair because of a lack of techs and parts.

How much money and time will it take to repair the car once warranty has expired?

Answer: Either zero, or many, many thousands of dollars to swap out electrical components that can only be sourced from the factory. Until an after-market service and part supply business is available it's a big risk.

That's why they are so cheap on the used market. Coupled with the fact that you can lease a new one for less than $100 per month net for 3 years.

Hopefully that helps. They are great cars under the right circumstances.
    HYBRID GARAGE
    2016 500e (Electric)
    2011 335d (Diesel)
    2015 Z06 (Nuclear)
    2017 NSX (Hybrid)

Thanks
    Thanks,

Really hard to decide between the two

The Fiat is nicer looking, has a little more battery capacity and a 4 Year warranty, so the used 2013/2014 still have a year of warranty left on them.

On the other hand, the Spark has more space , 4 doors, 5Y OnStar Roadside assistance (so usually 2 are left) and the power train Warranty goes to 5Y / 100kmiles.
    It also has the Volt L Mode with higher regen for one pedal driving that I do like. And it has the GM support which is a known quantity having owed a volt for 4 years.

Decision Decision...

Thanks
    You're going through the same angst I did when deciding which car to lease. Let's agree on one thing — the Spark is the sensible and practical choice. Any argument with that? So why aren't you done already? Because the Fiat is what you reeeally want.

I took the risk and went with the less responsible choice, and it has worked out for me. I felt vindicated over the holidays at a family gathering. My orange 500e was parked outside looking so fun and inviting, and everybody wanted to drive it! Can you imagine that with a Chevy Spark?
    Last edited by rkw; 01-08-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    You are right, but I am an old engineer with a highly logical and rational mind, so I am leaning towards the Spark right now

I have seen all the cars available on both sides that meet requirements, so we will know next week which part of me is going to win ...

Premium Member Southernroadrunner's Avatar
    Thanks
    So guess you gotta ask yourself if you want to have fun while your driving or just see the USA in your Chevrolet. Fun or boreing!!!
    2015 Abarth (Gray)
    Advan- RSII 17x7.5
    Advan Yokohama - AD08R 215/40/17
    EUROCOMPULSION
    - V4.1 AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM
    EUROCOMPULSION - TORQUE SOLUTIONS BOV

MADNESS - EIBACH PRO SPRINGS FRONT
    EIBACH - SPORTLINES IN THE REAR
    MADNESS - HOOD LIFT KIT

FIATTECH
    - TROFEO FRONT SPOILER

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Thanks
    The spark is no less fun to drive, so that is not the issue.

It does not look as good, which is only an issue when you are outside of the car (not driving), or concerned abut the way you look to others (which I really don't at this time in my life )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast