Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having an issue. An "ungodly" sound isn't too descriptive. What does it sound like? When does...

Valve length question

Hello,

2013 Abarth in Canada.

I had the typical burnt exhaust valve issue. I decided not to go with the OEM ones since first...

I am going to assume you mean Gen 1 because of cost.

Most Mechanical issues were corrected by 2017. If you do buy a 2016 make sure the motor...

What common issues should I look for in a 500x?

I'm looking at different cars and the 500x has crossed my mind. I'm wondering what issues I should look for because as a Fiat fan and someone needing...

Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier with bike attachment for sale

I have a like new Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier bars with a bicycle attachment. I bought it from Micks Garage in England - https://www.micksgara...

Automatic transmission? If that's an automatic it could be as simple as the battery being defective (or not fully charged).

I would start...

Yeah, Ford has a history of "minimal design". They want to save money and keep weight down so they design for using the least material. My neighbor's...

Help us raise funds to support Melanoma Canada.
Help us achieve our goal of raising $150,000 to help support the melanoma and skin cancer com

that's a funny. One of the very few issues I had with my brand new fuel injected YUGO was the PCV hose used to freeze up in freezing weather and oil would...

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped put the event together!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth - Starts, But Not Moving

Hi all! I've got a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that has been sitting for almost 6 months. I have not used it in the winter since it's not a great vehicle where...

^^^ This ^^^ its one weak design point. I had the 225 slant six in my Dodge Coronet. Great engine but mine had a habit of blowing oil out of the breather...

Abarth 4C!

This is interesting. They're taking existing 4Cs and reinventing them as Abarths

https://www.motor1.com/news/716049/alfa-romeo-4c-return...

pin which locks the charging door is broken.

Hi
In my 500Ee the pin which locks the charging door is broken.
Any idea where I can get a replacement?

THX...

I didn't actually take the drain plug off. I sucked the oil out of it as the plug was not coming off and If you see the location, you'll...

lol Great vid. Originally I heard they might allow owners to customize the slow speed audio byte. I assume the killjoys at NAFTA nixed that for the US...

That's an interesting case on your 124. Can you get to the vent and run a wire down it? In the old days I'd see grease and, sometimes, diff oil break...

Interesting thoughts ideas here. I like the tip about using the door as leverage, though I'm afraid I'd find out my door pins are shot, too....

2015 Abarth Automatic - Quest for better MPG cause this is bad

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento13
    • Nov 2016

2015 Abarth Automatic - Quest for better MPG cause this is bad

Hi everyone,

1st of all I came from a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop with Firehawk GT tires and can do 40+ mpg highway and on a WORST DAY pull 26mpg for City

Over a couple weeks ago I decided to upgrade to a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic. I bought it used with 13,000 miles with the 17" wheels and Pzeros. Granted when I bought the car, I knew it was gonna be significantly lower than the manual, but what I did NOT expect was how far off it is from the estimated MPG of 24city / 32 highway.

This was my mileage today with 70% city driving / 30% highway. NO sport button as well.

I went on a 1000 mile road trip from SoCal to Sedona last week and the BEST highway mileage i've gotten was 27mpg. I'm almost convinced something is wrong here.

This week or next week I will be getting an oil change preferably the 0w40 and switch to NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

Also, thinking of getting all season tires comparable to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 that came with the 16" Abarth wheels.

I don't mind getting 20-22 for city driving but this is just ridiculous. My main toy car is a BMW M3 and while i was looking for a fun commuter 24 / 32 mpg sold me to get an Abarth Auto but 17mpg is a little ridiculous.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lento13; 11-28-2016, 05:06 PM.
  • Fiat500USA
    Amministratore
    • Feb 2011

Welcome to the forum. Gas mileage in a city is really tough to get and compare because of all the variables like stop signs/lights and traffic. Highway is a little easier. I would say first make sure the tires are inflated correctly and they are not worn uneven. If the alignment is off that can negatively impact fuel economy. Tire pressure is also a very big deal.

Fuel economy is also heavily dependent on driving technique. Maybe try shifting the car manually to see if you can beat the electronics. In my experience, the Abarth likes to be shifted around 2100 rpm. Try not to get into the boost to heavily. Get into the highest gear you can without lugging the engine or getting too high a boost. I do a rural 15 mile or so commute with maybe 12 stop signs/lights. I average about 28 mph and get 34 mpg (calculated at the pump). My average cruising rpm is below 2000 rpm when under little load. Granted, that's a manual, but you have 1 more gear so that helps.

When I had a 500L with the 6 speed auto, I was able to get better gas mileage shifting myself. I do have a knack getting good gas mileage out of my cars though. I had the highest gas mileage on Fuelly for a 2012 last I checked. Try those techniques listed above and see it it makes a difference. Also, to be accurate, calculate the fuel economy manually by recording fill ups at the pump. Try to use the same pump, at the same time of day and stop filling when the pump clicks off the first time. Let us know how you make out.
    Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
    fiat 500 forum signature
    abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Robert Nixon

Welcome to the forum.

I'd expect to get more mileage also.

From your photo, are you saying your 1,000 mile trip averaged the speed of 29mph? That doesn't sound right.
      2013 Rosso Abarth with 68K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
      My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Comment

• Wahoox626
        • Oct 2016

I have the 2015 Abarth with the exact same set up. With the PZero I was getting 20-24 mpg in heavy NYC traffic. I have since changed my tires to 205 45 17 because of all the potholes here and was getting 17-19 mpg (with sports mode on for about 75% of the time). The door recommended cold tire pressure is 38 front and 32 rear. I increased the tire pressure by 5 psi all around and now I'm getting 20-23 mpg. Still not the advertised mpg the car should be getting but it's an improvement. Now I'm searching around for anyway to get more mpg out of this guy.

Comment

• Lento13
          • Nov 2016

Thanks for the reply guys. The pic of the cluster was a bad representation given that was a lot of city driving. But it's just crazy I can even pull that down to 16mpg if I drive it hard WITHOUT sport mode on. Also 27mpg highway isn't that great IMO for this car.

I was thinking of switching to all season hankook Ventus concept v2 for a lower rolling resistance tire too. It's a weird thing to say but as grippy as i enjoy the Pzero I can get something with better MPG and less road noise as this more of a city driver car.

Comment

• Wahoox626
            • Oct 2016

A lot of drivers reporting getting around 17-20 mpg for their auto Abarths. So don't feel like your car isn't performing. There is something definitely up with the automatic transmission version. If a bunch of us complain to Fiat/Chrysler about it then maybe they will take a closer look at it.

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
              Lifetime Member
              • Dec 2015

I normally get in the area of 27 to 29 and since I changed intakes it's up 2 or 3 more since my last check. About the same driving habits. So guess I'm gonna get better at least since it's cooled down.
              !!!!! Gulia Hunt Begins !!!!
              !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• Lento13
                • Nov 2016

No kidding. Too bad we're such a small voice to complain about this. Hopefully this gets addressed.

Comment

• Lento13
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Southernroadrunner
                  I normally get in the area of 27 to 29 and since I changed intakes it's up 2 or 3 more since my last check. About the same driving habits. So guess I'm gonna get better at least since it's cooled down.
                  Manual or automatic?

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
                    Lifetime Member
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Lento13
                    Manual or automatic?
                    Sir I have an automatic transmission but I never use sport mode hardly and I don't drive it real hard most of the time.
                    !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• Lento13
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Southernroadrunner
                      Sir I have an automatic transmission but I never use sport mode hardly and I don't drive it real hard most of the time.
                      That's great. It's crazy how I can't even break 24mpg city even if i keep my revs down all the time. I have to be the car on the road thateverybody pass to do 20mpg city

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
                        Lifetime Member
                        • Dec 2015

In the summer heat it does not do but about 27 most of the time but the airs on and I don't really change my driving habits but I run a lot of county blacktops and not much city stop and go driving
                        !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• Wahoox626
                          • Oct 2016

I agree with you! I'm shocked you're getting ~18 mpg with avg speed of 29 mph. I'm getting ~21 mpg with ave speed of 14 mph. Something just doesn't add up! I'll post a pick tmw morning.
                          Last edited by Wahoox626; 11-30-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Joe 500
                            • Sep 2012

I have a 2016 Auto Abarth and with mixed driving (mainly city) I average 32 miles per gallon. Granted, I do not use sport mode much and I am not a lead foot but I find the mileage very good considering the performance of the car

Comment

• Lento13
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Joe 500
                              I have a 2016 Auto Abarth and with mixed driving (mainly city) I average 32 miles per gallon. Granted, I do not use sport mode much and I am not a lead foot but I find the mileage very good considering the performance of the car
                              Automatic?

Comment