Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having an issue. An "ungodly" sound isn't too descriptive. What does it sound like? When does...

Valve length question

Hello,

2013 Abarth in Canada.

I had the typical burnt exhaust valve issue. I decided not to go with the OEM ones since first...

I am going to assume you mean Gen 1 because of cost.

Most Mechanical issues were corrected by 2017. If you do buy a 2016 make sure the motor...

What common issues should I look for in a 500x?

I'm looking at different cars and the 500x has crossed my mind. I'm wondering what issues I should look for because as a Fiat fan and someone needing...

Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier with bike attachment for sale

I have a like new Fiat 500 Specific roof top carrier bars with a bicycle attachment. I bought it from Micks Garage in England - https://www.micksgara...

Automatic transmission? If that's an automatic it could be as simple as the battery being defective (or not fully charged).

I would start...

Yeah, Ford has a history of "minimal design". They want to save money and keep weight down so they design for using the least material. My neighbor's...

Help us raise funds to support Melanoma Canada.
Help us achieve our goal of raising $150,000 to help support the melanoma and skin cancer com

that's a funny. One of the very few issues I had with my brand new fuel injected YUGO was the PCV hose used to freeze up in freezing weather and oil would...

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped put the event together!

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth - Starts, But Not Moving

Hi all! I've got a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that has been sitting for almost 6 months. I have not used it in the winter since it's not a great vehicle where...

^^^ This ^^^ its one weak design point. I had the 225 slant six in my Dodge Coronet. Great engine but mine had a habit of blowing oil out of the breather...

Abarth 4C!

This is interesting. They're taking existing 4Cs and reinventing them as Abarths

https://www.motor1.com/news/716049/alfa-romeo-4c-return...

pin which locks the charging door is broken.

Hi
In my 500Ee the pin which locks the charging door is broken.
Any idea where I can get a replacement?

THX...

I didn't actually take the drain plug off. I sucked the oil out of it as the plug was not coming off and If you see the location, you'll...

lol Great vid. Originally I heard they might allow owners to customize the slow speed audio byte. I assume the killjoys at NAFTA nixed that for the US...

That's an interesting case on your 124. Can you get to the vent and run a wire down it? In the old days I'd see grease and, sometimes, diff oil break...

Interesting thoughts ideas here. I like the tip about using the door as leverage, though I'm afraid I'd find out my door pins are shot, too....

2.4L oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PLP
    • Sep 2016

I also suffer from high oil consumption.
    Between changes I drift from full (max line) to about minimum in the mid run (say about 3000 miles). Refill - that is 2 quarts, and same for the remaining 3000-4000 miles until the OIL CHANGE indicator comes on.
    None of my cars that I have ever owned would use this much oil, except those that had over 100k miles, but still not so bad.

I use 0W-20 (as specs) Pennzoil Platinum from the very first change. Only once for the whole period "only" 3 quarts were consumed.

I do not agree that this level of consumption is justified.
    I would agree that owner should check oil from time to time (each fill up is a bit too often for a relatively new car without any LEAKS or other problems) and refill as needed, but with other cars that do not require oil tops off - 2.4 tigershark is a something like going back in time.

Even mine 1.6T GDI in KIA that I push quite hard so many times does not need this much oil (running 5W-30 same brand).
    Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
    Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• ASHFIAT
      • Sep 2016

Any of us that are concerned about the oil consumption of our FIATs should google "consumer reports oil consumption article". The article won't change the behavior of your FIAT, but when you get to the list of the top 30 oil guzzlers you will have a big smile on your face.

Comment

• PLP
        • Sep 2016

Hmm. That is weird.
        2.0T is very common in VW/Audi family. Even Porsche uses it.
        Yet, Audi was there, but not VW...

Yes, the article shows problems, but it does not really treat all participants equally.

You cannot compare NA-1.6 I4 to TT-4.8 V8. Not only turbo charged engines eat more oil by their nature, but 4.8 is 3 times bigger than 1.6. Hence, it has much more oil. Hence, 1 quart for it is nothing comparing to 1.6.

Going back to the topic.
        It is weird - now the oil consumption stopped again. I am not sure. Is it weather related? Petrol? Style? I use same oil... that is same brand, grade. Different batch, though.
        Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
        Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• carfreak09
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by PLP
          Going back to the topic.
          It is weird - now the oil consumption stopped again. I am not sure. Is it weather related? Petrol? Style? I use same oil... that is same brand, grade. Different batch, though.
          Im sure it will start back up. Checked roomie's Cherokee again and she was a quart low. Not sure how many miles but it was basically after a round trip from Florida to Virginia so I'm guessing about 2-3k. Seems these engines should have a low oil level warning light for those that don't think to check it regularly.
          2013 Fiat 500T Rosso
          RRM Ultimate tuner, RRM rear sway bar, Koni front struts, El Gato front chassis braces, 500Madness GoPedal, NeuF muffler delete, EC V4.1 intake, Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, LED interior lights.

2016 Fiat 500X Pop Arancio (traded in April 2019)
          500Madness GoPedal, custom Abarth style exhaust (resonator/muffler delete.), Gofastbits DV+, RRM lightweight crankshaft pulley, RRM Ultimate tuner, LED interior lights.

Comment

• 5port
            AWD enthusiast
            Lifetime Member
            • May 2012

There's a theory on the Dart boards that its the PCV valve stuck open. Once the PCV valve becomes unstuck and working again the oil consumption goes back to normal. Might be worth it to just replace it for $16.

Last edited by 5port; 02-21-2019, 08:36 AM.
            2016 500X Easy,Go pedal, Autoflash, LED Headlights and reverse, LED DRL, carbon fiber shift gate, ST T9 wheels, PIAA wipers, '17 motor mounts, AEM Dryflow

Comment

• Teejay
              • Oct 2015

I have a 2018 500x Urbana 2.4L and had to add oil 3 times before I even hit 4,000 miles. Turns out there was a manufacturing defect in my engine where the cylinder heads were scored and now my car is in the shop waiting for it's new engine. I should have it back by the end of the week. I had a 2016 500x Easy that never burned a drop of oil, but from day 1 I used the 0-20w blend, not straight synthetic.

Comment

• 5port
                AWD enthusiast
                Lifetime Member
                • May 2012

Latest Power train software update supposedly fixes the oil consumption issue with the 2.4L. The Jeep boys some claim it completely solved it and some claim it is cut in half. The software change allows the valves to stay open during deceleration thus curing the high vacuum condition (no more oil getting sucked past the rings).

-----------------------------------------------

2016 Fiat 500X power train TSB (Bulletin 08-027-21)

Bulletin Date: Feb. 27, 2021

Component: Power train.

Bulletin Summary: Flash: drivetrain control module (dtcm) diagnostic and system improvements this bulletin involves reprogramming the dtcm with the latest available software. Customers may experience a malfunction indicator lamp (mil) illumination.

Vehicles covered in this TSB:
                2015 Fiat 500, 2016 Fiat 500X, 2017 Fiat 500X, 2018 Fiat 500X, 2015 Jeep Renegade, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2017 Jeep Renegade, 2018 Jeep Renegade.
                2016 500X Easy,Go pedal, Autoflash, LED Headlights and reverse, LED DRL, carbon fiber shift gate, ST T9 wheels, PIAA wipers, '17 motor mounts, AEM Dryflow

Comment

• map
                  • Dec 2018

As I understand it, that change mostly illuminates the oil change interval sooner. Keeping the valves open simply covers up a design flaw.

"But a defect in the Tigershark engine means the piston rings don't work correctly with the cylinders. This allows oil to seep past and burn off in the compression cycle. As the engine loses oil, excess heat and friction will prematurely wear down internal components. At first the engine might stall out. But eventually it'll seize up and fail."

A serious defect in the 2.4L Tigershark engine causes an excessive amount of oil to be burned during normal operation. Owners must constantly top off the oil and have consumption tests run at the dealership, or risk the engine seizing up and stalling out while driving down the road. A class-action lawsuit wants a nationwide recall.

Comment

• 5port
                    AWD enthusiast
                    Lifetime Member
                    • May 2012

Taken from a Jeep Forum:

Official Mopar said:

Hello, the oil consumption concerns are caused from vacuum being created in the cylinders during deceleration. Software changes the events, internal to engine, that lead to creation of vacuum.
                    If you need any help setting up an appointment, feel free to let us know.

Kaitlin
                    Mopar Cares

Comment

• smark
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by map
                      As I understand it, that change mostly illuminates the oil change interval sooner. Keeping the valves open simply covers up a design flaw.

"But a defect in the Tigershark engine means the piston rings don't work correctly with the cylinders. This allows oil to seep past and burn off in the compression cycle. As the engine loses oil, excess heat and friction will prematurely wear down internal components. At first the engine might stall out. But eventually it'll seize up and fail."

http://www.jeepproblems.com/tigershark-oil-consumption/
                      I’ll share that with my daughter, on her Renegrade. 6 years late, never can hurt.

Comment