Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

How-To: Passenger CV Axle Replacement

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pr0d1gy9
    • Jun 2016

How-To: Passenger CV Axle Replacement

Hello everyone,

As promised I tackled the CV axle this weekend and below is how I did it. This is for a 2012 Abarth so the parts may vary between model years but the disassembly should be the same. The job took me about 12 hours with all the picture taking and learning a few things along the way. Plan for a full day of work but hopefully this will help anyone else tackling the job take significantly less time, less headaches, and save some money.

First of all: I am not responsible for any personal injury or damage to your vehicle but I would love to answer any questions you may have so feel free to PM me!

STEP 1: Purchased Parts & Special Items

Front Passenger CV Axle Shaft: RL105679AA has superceded 68105679AA but will get the same part with either part number: https://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts
    Inner Boot Clamp: 68139370AA: https://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts
    Axle Nut: 06509729AA: https://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts
    Axle Nut Socket: Purchased at Orielly's
    Hi-Temp Wheel Bearing Grease: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0417&ppt=C0139
    DO NOT use CV grease on the inner tripod joint. the joint is more delicate and requires a thinner lubrication during operation
    STEP 2: TOOLS (listed in the order I used them)

2 jacks: scissor jack for car and floor jack for lifting wheel hub assembly
    jack stand/ wheel chokes
    something to release the locking points on the axle nut
    36mm THIN WALLED socket (deep socket if you can find it): must be thin walled because the original one I have is to thick to fit into the wheel hub
    breaker bar or long handled socket wrench: axle nut
    13mm socket: brake caliper bolts
    flat head screw driver wrapped in electrical tape: brake caliper
    19mm socket: brake caliper bolts
    12mm wrench or deep socket: wobble bolts
    mallet and block of wood: break rotor free
    10mm socket: rotor plate guard
    15mm wrench/socket: socket to detach sway bar end link from strut
    15mm socket and 17mm deep socket: remove strut from wheel hub assembly
    wire cutters: cut off old boot clamp
    Philips screw driver: remove small wheel well plastic panel next to engine
    LOT of paper towels: clean up the tripod joint housing and surrounding area
    10mm socket: remove or lower the plastic under carriage protector like you would during an oil change
    EAR TYPE boot clamp tool & VERY dull wire cutters: clamping the boot clamp

STEP 3: Start and Finish

1 - Verify the parts ordered are the correct parts before starting! The axle has the old part number and the box the axle came in had the new part number. Either one should get you the correct part. I also ordered 2 boot clamps because they were pretty cheap.

2 - Unlock the axle nut with the tool of your choosing with a hammer. I used a pokey thingy that I honestly have no idea what it is actually for but my father had it in his tool box.

3 - Loosen the axle nut while the car still on the ground. My breaker bar is an 8 ft long piece of old swing set. I don't even have to try . Brother on the right and myself on the left

4 - Take the wheel off and do any jack standing/ wheel chokes that you deem necessary

5 - Undo the 13mm caliper bolts and then pry off the caliper with the flat head wrapped in electrical tape.

6 - Set the caliper on something towards the front of the car on a bucket

7 - Use the 19mm socket to take off the caliper bracket. These are tough so a mallet may be needed to break them lose.

8 - Remove the wobble bolts with a 12mm wrench and knock the rotor loose to remove it. Use a piece of wood to save the rotor.

9 - Remove the rotor guard with the 10mm socket

10 - Use the floor jack to lift the wheel hub so you can unbolt the top portion of the sway bar end link from the strut using a 15mm socket. FORGOT PICTURE, sorry

11 - Lower the jack back down, remove the axle nut using the 36mm socket and unbolt the wheel hub from the strut using the 15mm and 17mm sockets.

12 - Maneuver the wheel hub towards the rear of the car and down so you can pull the axle out. You will probably need to tap it at first to get it loose and then it should easily slide in and out of the wheel hub.

13 - Cut or twist the inner boot clamp off and pull the axle out of the car. I couldn't really get a picture while I was doing this but you can cut right at the crimp joint and twist in an upward motion.

2015 500e - Sold
    2012 Nero Abarth - Sold
    2012 Azzurro Sport
    - Sold
    2012 Rosso Abarth
    - Total Loss
  • pr0d1gy9
    • Jun 2016

14 - Clean the joint housing and surrounding area because mixing greases is a no no. I did my best to clean everything else after I had the new axle in so I wouldn't contaminate the inside of the tripod joint housing.

15 - Remove the small wheel well panel and get it stuck up towards the top of the engine bay. This will prepare you for the limited space needed by the boot clamp tool and allow you to clean any mess that occurred during the original leaking boot.

16 - Pack the new tripod joint with grease (I used roughly 100 grams or 1/5 of the container) and PARTIALLY fill the boot as a full boot will likely leak due to expansion of the grease during higher temperatures. Try to get the grease farther in the boot than I did. Be sure to wipe off any grease on the edge of the boot before putting the new axle in. Once the axle is back in find a way to rest it level so that you can slide the boot over the housing and CLEAN any excess grease that may have squeeze out.

17 - Lower or remove the splash shield under the car to allow room for the boot clamp tool in between the oil pan and frame

18 - Get the boot clamp to clip together around the boot making sure the crimp portion is facing like in the picture and that the boot is seated properly around the housing. This is the ONLY WAY the crimp tool will have access to the clamp.

19 - This is the hardest part. The boot clamp tool that I linked BARELY fit in between the oil pan and frame of the car and there is very little leverage under the car to get a good grip. I squeezed as hard as I could to get it clamped but had to use a VERY dull pair of wire cutters to finish clamping the boot together.

20 - Re-install everything by working backwards through these steps. BEFORE you re-install the caliper components put the new axle nut on and tighten until it starts spinning the axle. After everything is back together put the car on the ground and tighten the axle nut to 225 ft-lbs. Once that is done jack the car up again and take off the wheel so you can hammer in the locking mechanism on the axle nut. I didn't do a very good job on mine because My screw driver kept cutting away the material instead of bending it.

You are all done!
    2015 500e - Sold
    2012 Nero Abarth - Sold
    2012 Azzurro Sport
    - Sold
    2012 Rosso Abarth
    - Total Loss

Comment

• NGEN
      Official Vendor
      • Sep 2012

Great write-up! This should be a sticky
      sigpic
      Hours: Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm CST
      Call/Text: 832-948-9409
      E-mail: [email protected]

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ngencustoms
      Instagram: www.instagram.com/ngencustomsandperformance

Comment

• ewflyer
        • Mar 2012

Question for you, pr0d1gy9,

I also have a 2012 Abarth and this week, while doing a couple of mods to the car (it's out of warranty so I feel free), I noticed that the right front inner CV boot is slinging out grease. Is this what started you down the road to this full axle replacement? I've owned a few front wheel drive cars in my life so I'm not new to CV joint problems, my 2012 isn't making any of the popping/cracking noises when the wheels are turned but I'm wondering how long it will be now that the boot is slinging out grease. Did your 2012 get to the point where it was making those popping/cracking noises when you turned and accelerated?

I can't complain about my 2012, it's got 27,000 miles and it has been absolutely trouble-free so far. I've never had to take it back to the dealership for anything. But I guess the luck has to run out sometime.

I'm quite a bit older than you and your brother (loved the pic of you guys doing the work in your garage) and I'm at a point in my life where I've got more money than time so I guess I'll eventually bring the car to a dealership for this repair and I'm also feeling less and less inspired to take on this type of maintenance challenge.

Comment

• Tweak
          Rest In Peace
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by NGEN
          Great write-up! This should be a sticky
          Easily done!
          Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment