Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

First off, what brands of bearings are you using? Even a couple of the name brands have been noted to fail (front and rear) on the Fiat. Are you sourcing...

Ah, I've missed you Ted. Yeah, $145 is MSRP (dealer price). Around $16 to replace each unit. That's why people don't go to the dealer until they've checked...

OK, so you guys say Turbo coils won't work on the non-turbo. We know Alfa coils work on the turbo car... but they also work on the N/A models?

Go with Alfa coil pacs, expensive but smooth acceleration without hesitation = worth the price

https://500madness.com/start-shopping/pe...

Prices are all over the place for TPMS sensors and the quality varies. I wouldn't kick yourself too hard because you got the best ones out there, so youll...

Well...Welcome back Tedolph.

I got four new sensors as preventative maintenance with a four tire purchase at Costco. Paid Feb 2021 $43.89...

Only 11 weeks away to Ottawa Viva Italia Car Concorso and Italia Car Parade June 14 to 16
This is the only place to be on Fathers Day

These are the Gold winner for the 9th Italian Car Day event

Fernado Pasquale 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Alessandro Pellerito 1971...

Fiat X1/9: The Affordable Mid-Engine Sports Car That's Still Addictively Fun Today - autoevolution
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/fiat-x1-9...

Don't miss this event held in little Italy Montreal !!!...

This will be one of the largest gatherings of Italian Cars
Clubs form Toronto , Montreal and Ottawa will be attending ;

Toronto is...

Well, after 12 years and 90k miles, I also finally got the dreaded "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Unavailable" dashboard warning during startups....

I've checked the last few tanks, and the on-board measurement is consistently higher than what I calculate at the pump by 5-8%. Obviously it is not a...

Still getting about 42.5 mpg in mixed driving in my 2012 pop.

Only use the cheapest regular gas, not 91.

Tedolph

It should, Not sure if the others spoilers, need the roof pins....

Sure it will!...

nice idea!

but you should have had the sharp joins coming out the bottom of the rest..not the top

If you take the parts out of the equation, what's left is the installation and driving over curbs, which I don't think you are doing. It sounds like...

TPMS Source Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PLP
    • Sep 2016

I think we are talking about two different items.

I meant OEM, used, or new, but not directly from dealer. In either case, eBay, Amazon, or what not - get an OEM sensor. Not aftermarket or some kind of replica/replacement.
    Hence, the part number.
    Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
    Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• Tweak
      Rest In Peace
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by PLP
      Wait, wait. Are you saying some OEM sensors are better and worse quality?
      Sorry, no I am not or do not mean OEM but it is easy to get parts from sources that are not honest and might give the impression they are OEM.

Now I don't know if TPMS suffer from counterfeiting like some products that some people have went pretty far to pass as the real deal but I meant it only as a reminder to be careful where you buy from when it comes to these sensors.

Again sorry for any confusion.
      Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Fiat500USA
        Amministratore
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Tweak
        Sorry, no I am not or do not mean OEM but it is easy to get parts from sources that are not honest and might give the impression they are OEM.

Now I don't know if TPMS suffer from counterfeiting like some products that some people have went pretty far to pass as the real deal but I meant it only as a reminder to be careful where you buy from when it comes to these sensors.

Again sorry for any confusion.

I see questionable stuff on ebay all the time. Stuff is labeled OEM but is aftermarket and there is a wide range of quality.
        Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
        fiat 500 forum signature
        abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
          Lifetime Member
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
          I see questionable stuff on ebay all the time. Stuff is labeled OEM but is aftermarket and there is a wide range of quality.
          Agreed and been there and done that. The folks on ebay are not quite knowledgeable most of the time of what they are selling. Not all the time but sometimes.
          !!!!! Gulia Hunt Begins !!!!
          !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• PLP
            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
            Guys, you are going over your heads...

Who would really counterfeit a TPMS sensor that costs 20 a piece? To get the mold, all other parts, and finally get a RF transmitter to get the whole thing to work.

So far for the 4 sets I got from eBay (used, OEM sensors) I never had any issue.
            Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• Southernroadrunner
              Lifetime Member
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by PLP

Who would really counterfeit a TPMS sensor that costs 20 a piece? To get the mold, all other parts, and finally get a RF transmitter to get the whole thing to work.

So far for the 4 sets I got from eBay (used, OEM sensors) I never had any issue.
              Agreed but sometimes the guys on Ebay will leave you scratching your heads because sometimes they have no idea what they are selling and just point you to something else or can't give you a definite answer just a part number, or yea their suppose to work, but I have had luck a couple of times fingers crossed.Just my 2 cents for today.
              !!!!! Gulia Hunt Begins !!!!
              !!! ROLL TIDE !!!!

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                Amministratore
                • Feb 2011

That's cool you were able to find a great deal on used ones and they work. As they say, YMMV. I'd be concerned that the used part is, well, used up and I'd hate to have the hassle of prematurely replacing a sensor. The TPMS has a battery in them and other things that can go bad or get damaged so I'd personally pass on them, but to each their own.

Here'a little more about OEM TPMS VS aftermarket ones from TPMSdirect.com:

Why OEM (original equipment manufacturer) TPMS is better than aftermarket.
                • Aftermarket sensors lack of specialized help at auto shops when tpms is malfunctioning, brokenmuch more information on OE sensors, relearn procedures, install procedures, compatibility.
                • OE TPMS has longevity, longer battery life (5-7 years).
                • OE TPMS manufacturer warranty availability of OE TPMS replacement parts.
                • excellent, attentive customer service from OE TPMS retailers and distributors.

There comes a time in every driver's life where the need to replace factory equipped TPMS sensors arises. There are several reasons why a person who need to change TPMS sensors:
                • Changing to racing wheels/tires, winter set of wheels/tires, off-roading wheels/tires set...etc.
                • TPMS sensor was damaged during tire removal
                • The battery life of the sensor is depleted
                • Bent valve-stem due to hitting a curb Running over a pothole

Doing a TPMS search on Google for TPMS sensors will yield two results: OE TPMS sensor replacements and aftermarket sensors. Aftermarket sensors are usually cheaper than original equipment sensors, but don't let the price fool you. Running your vehicle on an obscure brand of aftermarket sensors could prove to be a very costly mistake.

A common complaint we get from our customers about aftermarket sensors is how quickly the sensors fail

3 months, 30 days, one week, 5 days, 30 minutes...these are all time frames we get for the failure rate of aftermarket sensors. These numbers don't even come close to the 5-7 year average lifespan of OEM TPMS sensors.

There are many instances in which the low-tire-pressure warning light would turn on, perhaps indicating that the tire pressure in one or more of the tires was below specified value. Naturally, what would normally happen is that the tire pressure light would turn off right after the tires are filled to the correct PSI. This is not the case with many aftermarket sensors. The TPMS warning light would turn on again shortly after getting back on the road, resulting in wasted time and frustration. Some drivers would take their vehicle to the local auto shop and have the sensors reset, only to have the light come back on 30 minutes later.

Resetting sensors is not an easy or cheap process either. Tire shops charge a fee to break down the tire, remove it from the rim, reprogram the sensor, and remount the tire (assuming the problem has been solved). Such a painful, time consuming, and expensive process could easily be avoided with original equipment tire pressure sensors.

Other aftermarket sensor problems include: TPMS light going off when tires are inflated to specified values, TPMS sensors simply not working, poor customer service, lack of manufacturer warranty, and an overall lack of know-how regarding reset/relearn procedures, fitment guides, installation instructions in auto shops around the nation.

Read more: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/OE_TPMS_or...TPMS_a/696.htm
                Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
                fiat 500 forum signature
                abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• Tweak
                  Rest In Peace
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by PLP

Doing product reviews for a few years I have seen some extremely cheap crap that was counterfeit...crazy but true. No intent to insult anyone Chinese but the items coming from them at times...WOW.
                  Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• Major
                    • Aug 2012

Zero for Two on EBay TPMS Sensors...

Originally posted by crock
                    I was able to find out that the 2012 & 2016 TPMS are the same part number. Looks like I can go for an ebay deal.
                    Bought a set of 433 MHz sensors on EBay for both my 500X and 500 Pop and each set failed. You could throw a lot of money at trying to find one or more bad sensors. Around here a tire mount and balance is $15 a crack. On the other hand, you could supplement your on board manual tire pressure gauge with a small piece of black tape and call it even.

To those who might say it's irresponsible to do this, I respond that it's irresponsible to trust your life to an idiot light system dictated by a NHTSA bureaucrat. Be responsible, check your tire pressures regularly and keep it between the ditches.
                    2012 500 Pop Rosso

Comment

• Tweak
                      Rest In Peace
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Major
                      Bought a set of 433 MHz sensors on EBay for both my 500X and 500 Pop and each set failed. You could throw a lot of money at trying to find one or more bad sensors. Around here a tire mount and balance is $15 a crack. On the other hand, you could supplement your on board manual tire pressure gauge with a small piece of black tape and call it even.

To those who might say it's irresponsible to do this, I respond that it's irresponsible to trust your life to an idiot light system dictated by a NHTSA bureaucrat. Be responsible, check your tire pressures regularly and keep it between the ditches.
                      This is the reason I originally stated early on in this thread it might be better to pay more from a reputable source. In the end you might spend just as much or more trying to save money.

Comment

• PLP
                        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Major

That is weird...

What do you mean they failed?

I do not state eBay is the best source, but I have NEVER had any problem with any sensors.
                        However, each and every sensor was tested BEFORE it was installed. I got Discount Tire to use their scan tool to verify the sensor response.
                        All in all I think I got 3 or 4 sets like this. OEM parts - were they counterfeit? I doubt it. Those were used sensors with etched logos of KIA/Hyundai.

How Chrysler deals with their sensors? I do not know and I think I will not find out as I got a whole set of wheels off another 500X (via forum contact). Hence, no need to get TPMS for Fiat.

Originally posted by Tweak
                        This is the reason I originally stated early on in this thread it might be better to pay more from a reputable source. In the end you might spend just as much or more trying to save money.
                        And what is such?

And yes, I never trusted them. I always check air myself.
                        However, I like very much that 500X shows me exact pressure in each wheel. That is nice.

Comment