Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Changing Brake Pads

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smark
    • Apr 2014

Buy some copper brake grease. Apply it to the contact points on the back the brake pads. EBC brake pads come with a grease similar to that.

Those groove on your rear rotors, are from small rocks, Debris stuck between the pads and rotors. Scoring the disc face.

Try and drive your car a good 500 miles. Allow the new pads, to break into the new rotors. You got nothing to loose.

Good luck.
    Last edited by smark; 04-08-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Ez2517
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by smark
      Buy some copper brake grease. Apply it to the contact points on the back the brake pads. EBC brake pads come with a grease similar to that.

Good luck.
      Thank you. The pads that I bought (TRW GDB2032) have kind of a flexible coating on the back, so I did not apply copper paste (otherwise I would have done that). The installation leaflet that came with the pads also does not mention that one should apply any paste, so I assumed that this coating (feels like something between tar and rubber ...) replaces the paste.

Brandy

Comment

• Ez2517
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
        There are a lot of details that can cause you an issue when doing brakes. Here are some tips. Some are specific to the 500L and other Fiats.

Did you:
        • Clean the hub to make sure the hub is clean of rust and dirt so the disc lays flat against it.
        • Use new brake hardware that fit properly. Sometimes aftermarket hardware doesn't fit properly.
        • Screw the piston in with a caliper tool.
        • Check to make sure the caliper slide pins move easily. Re-greasing with the proper grease and replacing the caliper pin boots is a good idea.
        • Make sure the pads fit easily into the brake bracket and are not too tight where they will start to bind.
        • Place the brake pad with the audible wear indicator attached on the inboard side. The audible wear indicator should be positioned at the bottom when installed.
        • There is a small post on the lower backside of the inboard pad. Make sure that this post lines up with one of the slots on the piston to ensure the pad interfaces with the piston correctly.
        • Correctly tighten all the mounting bolts to the proper torque spec. Thread locker is highly recommended.

Thanks a lot for the long list. I followed most of the points, however I did not remove the brackets, and the pads did not fit easily at all. Also the removal of the old ones was a pain. As I ordered a new set with new brackets, I will wait until they arrive and spend more time cleaning )))

Kind regards
        Brandy

Comment

• Ez2517
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by map
          It may simply need a new set of caliper clips. Companies like QuietGlide make kits of stainless, backed by a coating of rubber, which do a good job. (I think only available for 500L and 500X.) Lubricating the caliper glides is important and replacing the rubber coverings will keep the lube in place. http://carlsoncatalog.com/

You don't mention the car's age... how long it took to reach 25K miles. It's worse where salt (chemicals) are applied to the road. For cars that are driven daily, it isn't bad, but cars that sit for days (with e-brake applied) the friction material stays wet and can corrode to the rotor/drum. My PU can sit for weeks, so I chock a wheel in wet weather (or park on flat ground), so don't need the e-brake. For grooves, if driven on dirt/rock roads, they can sometimes wear unevenly (pick up dirt or tiny rocks) but (as you indicate) the friction material is the usual cause for grooving. (Then there are cars driven w/ the e-brake not completely released.)

There are also cases where a caliper's slides aren't properly lubed or the calipers don't release. You'll usually see differing wear on inner or outer pad or one wheel's pads significantly more worn than the other side on the same axle. I had a GM car with defective factory front calipers, both sides, that warped the rotors 2000 miles after leaving the lot. A rebuild fixed the issue. It's one reason I rebuild/replace calipers on most brake jobs, or at very least lube all the mechanical parts, and replace hardware.
          The car is from late 2014, and has approximately 35k on the clock now. However, due to a job change, it sat in the driveway most of the time since almost a year. Salt is definitely an issue here in Austria.
          I will fit new clips as soon as they arrive. We'll see....with stuck brake pads I would expect a constant rubbing/screeching noise. This one here sounds like someone hitting a table with a metal rod...

Brandy

Comment

• douglawrence42
            • Oct 2019

Is your clunk speed dependent?
            2013 500 Abarth
            Bad ideas, poorly executed by a middle age man of limited skill and intelligence-
            Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/everyotherfridayoff
            instagram: douglawrence42

Comment

• Ez2517
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by douglawrence42
              Is your clunk speed dependent?

Yes, it is. my first thought was there must be an issue with one or both of the new discs. But visually I cannot detect any issue...

Brandy

Comment

• douglawrence42
                • Oct 2019

Have you had the wheels off again? I would guess something isn't seated right. If its the discs you are worried about, you could measure run out and that would tell you if they are true and seated correctly.
                2013 500 Abarth
                Bad ideas, poorly executed by a middle age man of limited skill and intelligence-

Comment

• Ez2517
                  • Jul 2015

Have you had the wheels off again? I would guess something isn't seated right. If its the discs you are worried about, you could measure run out and that would tell you if they are true and seated correctly.

Hi,

yes, that was the first thing I did - take off wheels and discs again, clean everything once more, but to no avail.

Next try is to put in another new set of pads and new clips. If that does not help I'll put the old discs back in to see whether that helps ...

Brandy

Comment

• Ez2517
                    • Jul 2015

So, 2 days ago, the new parts arrived and I replaced clips and (once more) the pads (out came the new TRWs, replaced them with Brembos). For now, the noise is gone. I guess the problem was caused by re-using the old corroded clips. I still have no idea how that would cause that rhytmic, ticking noise. I would have expected 'stuck' pads to simply rub on the discs, making a constant grinding noise. What I noticed is that the 'acoustic wear alarm' looks different on the TRW and the Brembo pads. On the Brembos, it looks exactly as on the factory pads. But I dont think this was the reason for the noise ... Anyway, problem solved ))) Brandy

Comment

• douglawrence42
                      • Oct 2019

Glad you got it solved. I've re-used clips successfully, I guess you just got unlucky.
                      2013 500 Abarth

Comment

• Ez2517
                        • Jul 2015

Glad you got it solved. I've re-used clips successfully, I guess you just got unlucky.
                        Probably it depends on corrosion. The clips look like stainless steel, but mine still were partially corroded. We have lots of salt here in winter ...

Brandy

Comment

• map
                          • Dec 2018

That's great news, though I'm surprised you had to replace the pads again. Corrosion, age, and/or heat can take the "spring" out of the clips.

Comment