500 Madness

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Improving the Beats system. This will be an on going thread with mods.

Thanks
    lol welcome back!!

Thanks
    OP! You are the man! Thank you for sharing this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nestiko For This Useful Post:

mattjk (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
    lol welcome back!!
    hey thanks.

it didnt work out though. maybe some of you are aware of this, maybe some arent? carfax & autocheck can take up to 2 years to add events to your cars history report...i found this out and its cost me approx $6000 with NO recourse
    7 months after buying my 'certified' nissan from a dealer carfax decided to add accident details that happened a year before.

ive only been here for 6 years after moving from england. i know the car game inside out back there. here ive been played for a fool. maybe at least one or two of you can find this info helpful

Thanks
    just bumping this thread-it made the beats come alive when i owned my fiat well worth doing this mod if you wonder where your option money went.

''this time next year rodney....'' anyone who gets that well done lol. but i will be in one again next year damnit

Thanks
    Bumping as well. Huge help, I bored out the Tweeter holes and by god it's tolerable! I attempted to get the sub plug pins out last night but only took off the back so they wouldn't come out, I will try again looking for the front portion's removal bits and take some pictures if I can get it off. It certainly didn't LOOK like a 3pc plug when I looked last night though.

Edit; Does anyone know the factory beats subwoofer sensitivity? I know it's 2-ohm DVC at 46w per coil. Replacements that fit the factory box that have been suggested are the JL 8w3v3 or Polk MM840 however neither are able to be used with the factory amplifier as they're not DVC. I did find the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 is a 2-ohm DVC woofer rated at up to 150rms (75w per coil) with 86db sensitivity. It's not fully powered by the factory amp but I wonder if it would improve the bass without requiring a second amplifier (trying to avoid this)?

Edit2; If I replace the amp with a 5channel would I need to worry about running power back? I haven't noticed on the harness what kind of +12v this thing is getting..
    Last edited by der_idiot; 03-30-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    I don't know if i'm jealous or elated that my ears aren't as sensitive as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
    Just picked up a new 2016 Abarth. I have the Beats system, man it sounds like crap. The sub sounds like it's out of phase with the door speakers, and the tweeters sound extremely rolled off and hashy -- which I was able to fix. The tweeters sound great now. The mounting base for the tweeters, the opening is too small, thus changing the frequency of the tweeter.

I pulled the a-pillars to see what kind of tweeters were in there... 1 inch soft dome which looked pretty good quality. I was going to swap them out with a set of morel tweeters, but after opening up the mounting hole, it sounds 10 times better. Much more extended and balanced sounding, and was also able to turn the treble down and still get good extension on top.

I just used an exacto knife and cut the opening larger.

Next, I'll check all the phasing for the rest of the speakers and report back.

You can see the hole is only 27mm, but the tweeter requires a 32mm opening. The smaller hole acts as a phase lens, effectively changing the frequency response of the tweeter.

3T Boost Leak Fix•3T Oil Catch Can•3T Powergate3+ 23psi/93 Octane Tune•BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 Tires•Bonalume Short Throw Shifter•CravenSpeed Throttle Body Spacer•Forge Motorsports Adjustable WGA•GFB Diverter Valve DV+•H&R Sport Springs•K&N Short Shot Air Filter•Madness 3” Catless Downpipe•Madness GoPedal•Madness MAXfire Coil Packs•Magneti Marelli ECM w/ Controller•MPx Ported Throttle Body•N2MB WOT Box w/ Launch Control•Santora’s 2.5” Exhaust•SILA Concepts V2 FMIC

Thanks
    Regarding Edit2, it depends on the amp you're planning on running back there. If you look at post #2 here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...wiring-diagram you'll see that it is a dinky 12AWG wire for the +1 2V, which is most likely the minimum required to drive the 270W-ish OEM amp. If the new amp you're thinking of getting is going to require more than 12 AWG for the power wire, then you'll need to run the new power wire back there. I've been tweaking my sound system, too... replaced the tweeters, woofers, and amp with Morel Hybrid 602 components and the JL HD900/5 amp. So much power! but definitely a lot of work. You can see details of the build in my garage page: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...00-Abarth-Nero. Exel has also built an awesome system as well using Hertz components, a new head unit, a new sub, and the Alpine PDX-V9 amp... check it out here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...H-Bianco/page4

Thanks
    So then my question is, would it be better to get the Beats or use my own equipment? I have it in mind to use an Autopumpkin with my SSL AIO 600w subwoofer.
    There's a fine line between breathtaking innovation and, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen"!

Thanks
    It depends on if you’re interested in investing lots of time and money into car audio. I’ve invested around $2k so far, but will probably get all the way up to $3k. $3k vs $700 for the beats system is a pretty big price difference. Looks like you’ve already invested a chunk of change into car audio, so It would make sense to re-use what you have. I can tell you that having No Beats audio lacked a lot of bass and mid range. I’m not sure what the Beats system sounds like.

Thanks
    Problem, my wife has the Beats in her '13, and it seems lacking compared to many of the systems I've owned. Maybe this is a hijack, but I have experienced both the Beats and the subwoofer-less system, and while the sub does have some bump, it sounds like the sub is not tuned for anything other than punch. The bypass seems too high on the amp, making a really good system sound badly set up. If shaving A-pillar is a must anyway, I'm going there, but the sub seems to be pulling double duty, making up for lower end midbass. I know a lot of this has been discussed. I don't like hearing vocals in my sub, but it does pick up lower male voices, adding an annoying tone to already mind-numbing commercials.
    There's a fine line between breathtaking innovation and, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen"!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast