500 Madness

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving the Beats system. This will be an on going thread with mods.

Thanks

Improving the Beats system. This will be an on going thread with mods.

Just picked up a new 2016 Abarth. I have the Beats system, man it sounds like crap. The sub sounds like it's out of phase with the door speakers, and the tweeters sound extremely rolled off and hashy -- which I was able to fix. The tweeters sound great now. The mounting base for the tweeters, the opening is too small, thus changing the frequency of the tweeter.

I pulled the a-pillars to see what kind of tweeters were in there... 1 inch soft dome which looked pretty good quality. I was going to swap them out with a set of morel tweeters, but after opening up the mounting hole, it sounds 10 times better. Much more extended and balanced sounding, and was also able to turn the treble down and still get good extension on top.

I just used an exacto knife and cut the opening larger.

Next, I'll check all the phasing for the rest of the speakers and report back.

You can see the hole is only 27mm, but the tweeter requires a 32mm opening. The smaller hole acts as a phase lens, effectively changing the frequency response of the tweeter.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mattjk For This Useful Post:

aktif8 (09-01-2016), Fiat500USA (08-31-2016), jzandani (06-30-2017), Lebox (09-24-2016), mattsnapz (09-18-2016), natrixgli (09-24-2016), outoway (09-24-2016), spotman (08-31-2016), Voodude (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Cool information which I am really glad you are willing to share. With no insult my thoughts on the radio with Beats in the Abarth is this... "Radio? We have a radio?"

Basically my volume is around 8 most of the time and sometimes might make it up as high as about 14...really the only "music" I care about is exiting the rear outside of the car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

mattjk (08-31-2016)

Thanks
    Haha! I hear you on that. Even Bose systems sound better.

I did discover the sub is out of phase with the door midbass'.

It was easy to unplug the harness at the sub box, and then switch around the 2 outer pairs. For example:

If this was the plug, stock would be:

1 2 3 4

and then the phase correct wiring would be:

2 1 4 3

The sound is much better in the midbass, with more warmth and punch.

It almost makes it listenable now.

I was planning on changing the stock amp with a JBL MS-8. I have one in my smart, and once you get it tuned right, it sounds AMAZING... but for now this sounds OK.

This is the plug you want to modify:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattjk For This Useful Post:

mattsnapz (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,982 Posts
    ^^^ Funny before Beats I had the Bose but I still didn't listen to it too much...modded exhaust on the former Sport...lol.

Truly good info though...certainly something I'd look more into if it were of importance to me and it likely will be to many so again thanks for sharing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

mattjk (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Stereo has been getting better and better sounding, I think the speakers are breaking-in. At this point I'm pretty happy with the way the system sounds. I will probably leave it alone.
    2016 Abarth Nero 5spd nav beats black lights sunroof.
    2016 Mercedes GLC Black.
    2015 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive on Volk TE37's.
    2009 Lotus Elise Purist White.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mattjk For This Useful Post:

mattsnapz (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    hi. i have a 2012 abarth with the beats audio.

i am interested in what youve done regarding the tweeters & sub. are the tweeters glued/fused in place on the a pillars, or are they just pushed or clipped in place?
    i cant work out what those small honeycomb looking bits of plastic are.

then the sub plug, how do you go about switching the connectors so they push back on to the plug and connect in that new way. sorry if theyre dumb questions, i cant picture how the male to female connection can be changed

thanks for your help-matt
    Last edited by mattsnapz; 09-11-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsnapz View Post
    hi. i have a 2012 abarth with the beats audio.

i am interested in what youve done regarding the tweeters & sub. are the tweeters glued/fused in place on the a pillars, or are they just pushed or clipped in place?
    i cant work out what those small honeycomb looking bits of plastic are.

then the sub plug, how do you go about switching the connectors so they push back on to the plug and connect in that new way. sorry if theyre dumb questions, i cant picture how the male to female connection can be changed

thanks for your help-matt
    Hi, no problem.

The tweeters are held in by clips. They are very easy to remove, however once you reinstall the tweeters, you may find that the clips are loose. I just put a zip tie around it so it would not rattle.

On the sub connector, there are two grey clips on the front and rear of the connector. remove them both with a small screwdriver, and then you can see the little tabs that hold the terminals in place.
    you can use a small screwdriver to lift up on the clips and then the wire will slide out.

Also make sure to do the Uconnect update. I've read on some radios, it can improve sound quality. Mine already had this update.
    UCONNECT Update
    https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.7 KB, 701 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (103.0 KB, 689 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.9 KB, 691 views)
    2016 Abarth Nero 5spd nav beats black lights sunroof.
    2016 Mercedes GLC Black.
    2015 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive on Volk TE37's.
    2009 Lotus Elise Purist White.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattjk For This Useful Post:

jzandani (06-30-2017), mattsnapz (09-13-2016)

Thanks
    thats great and thanks so much for the pictures, im a visual rather than a written learner. i cant wait to try this out.

ive been so dissapointed with the sound of my 2012 abarth...you would not believe. ive recently been in to the stealer to have a block heater fitted and he told me he did a software update, should i assume he did the blue&me update too? btw, $325 for a block heater and fitment....but $95 on top of that for an oil change and tyre rotate dealer=stealer (of money)

i bought the car second hand and havent been able to deal with the poor sounding stereo. yeah the exhaust is nice, but sos good sounding music. ive adjusted all bass, treble, mid, speed settings to try and compensate for the muddy sounding music coming outta the speakers. the one thing that helped kick the sub in to life was changing the 'audio speed volume' to high. the sub/amp combo now works as it should, but it never sounded like it should.
    Thanks again mate
    Last edited by mattsnapz; 09-13-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks
    Great thread. I'm gonna try some tinkering based on what you've done.

So to get to the tweeters you need to remove the A-pillar trim, right? Can you post some tips on that? (i.e., where do you need to pry to pop it off without breaking anything, that kind of thing). Can you can pop off the trim and take a picture so we can see where the attachments are?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsnapz View Post
    ive adjusted all bass, treble, mid, speed settings to try and compensate for the muddy sounding music coming outta the speakers.
    Thanks again mate
    I changed all the speakers in my Abarth. What a difference! I'm every happy now. I got polk speakers from Crutchfield. I've never have done any mods to a car, but changing the speakers was my first. EZ. The sound is very clean and detailed now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dolemite For This Useful Post:

jzandani (06-30-2017)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast