500 Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fiat 500 Improved Starting Fix

Thanks
    That's too bad about your studio, 500. I gave my service adviser the list of TSB's including the rear washer nozzle one and he looked them up on his computer and verified them right there with me. They did the reflashes and the things that have improved are:

Car starts up perfectly every single time.

CLOCK KEEPS TIME. REPEAT: CLOCK KEEPS TIME - ACCURATELY. I know! I knooowwwww!

Shifting (Automatic Transmission) is much smoother overall and cold morning herky-jerky behavior seems to have abated but this weekend's cold snap will be the first real test.

The more I think about this new company (FIAT-Chrysler) I am beginning to feel like it's basically Chrysler (with FIAT money) and that's not a bad thing. They're making money hand over fist, selling tons of cars and engineering has as a great history at the Pentastar despite some pretty severe hiccups. This merger really seems to be the best of all worlds. Let's hope for our cars' sake that it continues to bear fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
    That's too bad about your studio, 500. I gave my service adviser the list of TSB's including the rear washer nozzle one and he looked them up on his computer and verified them right there with me. They did the reflashes and the things that have improved are:

Car starts up perfectly every single time.

CLOCK KEEPS TIME. REPEAT: CLOCK KEEPS TIME - ACCURATELY. I know! I knooowwwww!

Shifting (Automatic Transmission) is much smoother overall and cold morning herky-jerky behavior seems to have abated but this weekend's cold snap will be the first real test.

The more I think about this new company (FIAT-Chrysler) I am beginning to feel like it's basically Chrysler (with FIAT money) and that's not a bad thing. They're making money hand over fist, selling tons of cars and engineering has as a great history at the Pentastar despite some pretty severe hiccups. This merger really seems to be the best of all worlds. Let's hope for our cars' sake that it continues to bear fruit.
    Glad to hear they took care of you. To tell you the truth, I'm a little hesitant about getting my clock fixed. Mine runs a fast and it is a relief when I think I'm running late and I'm on time!

I also think it is better that service is run by Chrysler because they know what Americans expect. The last time, I don't think the Italians really knew or got our market and expectations.

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Thanks
    Think this should be a sticky. Many dealers have no clue but this update fixed our starting problems..

Thanks
    I used this website's page about TSB's and wrote down all the numbers and gave it to the service advisor.

Thanks
    It doesn't mention it specifically, but for the '13 Abarth I just bought, I'm having a random problem that might be connected. Not all the time, but more than once, I've stalled it at a stop light while taking off. Ive been driving a stick long enough to know that it stalls way too easily when this happens. So once it stalls, it won't restart on the first try, it just cranks. I have to turn the key off, wait a sec, then try again and it starts like normal. You can imagine how fun this is at a busy intersection. The car just turned 35k.
    Is it possible that this TSB could address this? I have about four more months on the factory warranty.

Thanks
    It can't hurt to have any TSB's or open recalls or reflashes done by your local studio. My vehicle is a 2012 Lounge automatic so about as different as can be from your manual Abarth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bryanintowson For This Useful Post:

Fiat500USA (06-02-2017)

Fiat 500 Abarth Tech Bulletin 18-053-16

Here is the latest TSB for the 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. There is a crank/no start symptom* that is addressed in the TSB. If you bring the car in they should reflash it.

Besides having your software reflashed I would make sure your you change your spark plugs if they haven't been changed at the 30,000 mile interval.Maybe do it before bringing it into the dealer. If you bring your car in for service, they would likely have to change the plugs out before they could do any troubleshooting and you would have to pay for that if that matters to you.

Fiat Technical Bulletin 18-053-16

DATE: May 06, 2016

SUBJECT:
    Flash: 1.4L Diagnostic And System Improvements

OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the latest
    available software.

MODELS:
    2012 - 2013 (FF) Fiat 500/Abarth

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 1.4L I4 Multiair 16V Engine
    (Sales Code EAB) or 1.4L I4 16V Multiair Turbo Engine (Sales Code EAF).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further
    investigation the technician may find that the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
    have been set:
    P1128-00 - Closed Loop Fueling Not Achieved - Bank 1 Upstream.
    P1524-00 - Oil Pressure Out Of Range - Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled (Sales
    Code EAF only).
    P1607-00 - PCM Internal Shutdown Timer Rationality (Sales Code EAB only).
    P2610-00 - PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance (Sales Code EAB only).
    P1239-00 - Engine Oil Temperature Too Low (Sales Code EAB only).
    P0298-00 - Engine Oil Temperature Too High (Sales Code EAB only).
    P2299-00 - Brake Pedal Position/Accelerator Pedal Position Incompatible.
    P0456-00 - Evap System Small Leak.

Some customers may also experience the following conditions:
    Intermittent fast crank condition.
    Cranks as if no compression.
    * Intermittent crank - no start condition.

In addition, the following software enhancement is available:
    ** Scan tool enhancements to communicate with wiTECH to read DTCs descriptions
    for 2013 MY vehicles equipped with manual transmissions (Sales Code DDF) and
    Euro 4 Emission W/OBD (Sales Code NB4).**
    Improved reverse lamp activation time.

------------------

abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiat500USA For This Useful Post:

bryanintowson (06-03-2017), BuzzBomb (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    I have 2013 abarth and i have starting issue now than... I brought my car to dealership and they say its fine so they did nothing. Next day i started my car but it starts and dies and i started again and its fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2