Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

And yet another LED thread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexD
    • Mar 2014

I know this an old thread.

I just ordered these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will see how these will work.
    2013 Fiat 500 Pop Black

Comment

• Tweak
      Rest In Peace
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by AlexD
      I know this an old thread.

I just ordered these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will see how these will work.
      A lot of people using LED/HID kits go with the 9006, just something I thought of when I saw the lights here.
      Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• AlexD
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Tweak
        A lot of people using LED/HID kits go with the 9006, just something I thought of when I saw the lights here.
        Yes I saw that but this set I ordered is 9012 base according to the listing which should be a direct fit. Will know soon, according to usps I should have it friday.
        2013 Fiat 500 Pop Black

Comment

• Tweak
          Rest In Peace
          • Nov 2012

Yes I saw that but this set I ordered is 9012 base according to the listing which should be a direct fit. Will know soon, according to usps I should have it friday.
          Right on. Just thought it worth mentioning. Hopefully I remember to check back on your results and satisfaction.
          Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• AlexD
            • Mar 2014

Ok, so like how white the light is but I would like it the light to be further up the road, it lights up all the road signs far away but I would like more usable light on the roadway. Will try to adjust the lights up a little.
            2013 Fiat 500 Pop Black

Comment

• Tweak
              Rest In Peace
              • Nov 2012

Ok, so like how white the light is but I would like it the light to be further up the road, it lights up all the road signs far away but I would like more usable light on the roadway. Will try to adjust the lights up a little.
              After testing several LED kits it is this exact reason I prefer the HID kits...testing with those and the LED offerings shows me more further with the HID kits. The LED kits are great looking and bright white but I was not AS happy with the coverage in terms of distance. I tested 2-3 HID kits and I think about 4 LED kits, something like that.

Comment

• PLP
                • Sep 2016

After testing several LED kits it is this exact reason I prefer the HID kits...testing with those and the LED offerings shows me more further with the HID kits. The LED kits are great looking and bright white but I was not AS happy with the coverage in terms of distance. I tested 2-3 HID kits and I think about 4 LED kits, something like that.
                That what I am afraid of.
                We just got yellow 500X Trekking Plus. It is 9012 headlight.
                I would rather put LED due to the fact the headlights turn on quite often - welcome, locking/unlocking... plus they have the instant on/full power.
                I am a long time HID user including a full retrofits of projectors into reflector type headlights and I know what is the downside of HID. But again, LED has come a long way by now...

I am looking into 2stroke from TRS.

What to do, huh?
                Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2019 Chevy Bolt LT, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium
                Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• 500SW
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by PLP
                  I am a long time HID user including a full retrofits of projectors into reflector type headlights and I know what is the downside of HID...
                  Got HID's as standard on my 500S - what are the downsides?
                  2015 Fiat 500S Linea Rossa
                  Black, Manual, Perfezionare Pack
                  Leather, Xenons, SatNav, Tints, Euro Fogs

Comment

• Tweak
                    Rest In Peace
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by PLP
                    That what I am afraid of.
                    We just got yellow 500X Trekking Plus. It is 9012 headlight.
                    I would rather put LED due to the fact the headlights turn on quite often - welcome, locking/unlocking... plus they have the instant on/full power.
                    I am a long time HID user including a full retrofits of projectors into reflector type headlights and I know what is the downside of HID. But again, LED has come a long way by now...

I am looking into 2stroke from TRS.

What to do, huh?
                    Perhaps a higher end LED product will suffice. I know HID that isn't properly setup with the housing doesn't work anywhere near as well as it should. I assume that is at least a part of what you refer to in terms of downsides of HID. I just was not happy with the reach of the LED compared to the HID so for me that solved "What to do" for me at the time.

Comment

• PLP
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by 500SW
                      Got HID's as standard on my 500S - what are the downsides?
                      I assume that is at least a part of what you refer to in terms of downsides of HID.
                      Downsides are:
                      - time to warm up
                      - does not like to be turned on/off (unlock the car - welcome light; turn ignition on - if lights left on or on auto and is dark, will light up; start the car - lights will turn off; and so on...)
                      - hates being restarted on hot (after a few minutes of running)

The last two kill hours of life of HID lamp instantaneously.

When comparing LED to HID - none of the above would apply to LED.

I just was not happy with the reach of the LED compared to the HID so for me that solved "What to do" for me at the time.
                      Yes, the reach worries me. All reviews are great for 2stroke, but I do not want to make a $120 mistake. I guess the worst can happen I will return them.
                      Previous rides: 2014 FIAT 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T, 2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, M/T, and many more...

Comment

• Tweak
                        Rest In Peace
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by PLP
                        Downsides are:
                        - time to warm up
                        - does not like to be turned on/off (unlock the car - welcome light; turn ignition on - if lights left on or on auto and is dark, will light up; start the car - lights will turn off; and so on...)
                        - hates being restarted on hot (after a few minutes of running)

The last two kill hours of life of HID lamp instantaneously.

When comparing LED to HID - none of the above would apply to LED.

Yes, the reach worries me. All reviews are great for 2stroke, but I do not want to make a $120 mistake. I guess the worst can happen I will return them.
                        Hope you end up happy whatever choices you go with.

Never really noticed major issues with the areas mentioned but I can see and understand the reasons.

Comment

• 500SW
                          • Sep 2016

I've got LED's on my Audi S3 - and they are not as good as OEM HID's that my Golf GTI had.
                          the LED is softer and does not provide illumination into the distance, which is not great for country Australia driving.
                          I prefer the sharper focus the HID's give.

Start up time for HID's is only in the seconds, so no big issue, plus restarting a hot HID is better than a cold HID. Just like a tungsten bulb usually blows when cold. The most stress is on a cold power up, not a warm or hot one.

Comment

• PLP
                            • Sep 2016

Hope you end up happy whatever choices you go with.
                            Thanks.
                            It takes time to do research to be happy with the purchase.

I've got LED's on my Audi S3 - and they are not as good as OEM HID's that my Golf GTI had.
                            Is that OEM vs OEM? (LED vs HID) or A3 LED was aftermarket?

the LED is softer.
                            You mean perception of light?

Start up time for HID's is only in the seconds, so no big issue
                            Depending on design. Some take as much as 30 seconds for the full power and true colour.

plus restarting a hot HID is better than a cold HID. Just like a tungsten bulb usually blows when cold. The most stress is on a cold power up, not a warm or hot one.
                            I do not agree here.
                            HID is nowhere close in design to tungsten.
                            Tungsten glows due to current flow through the filament. It simply makes it hot nearly melting and the metal glows.

In HID you have gas glowing. Basically, the gas is "burning". It is plasma like (like, as it is not really a flame). To get the gas to glow you apply very high voltage, at about 20'000 V. To keep it going it drops to about 85 V.
                            Ballast does not know if it starts cold or hot HID lamp (it is a lamp, not a light bulb - there is a difference in technicality and language). Hence, ballast will apply the startup voltage every time. When gases are hot (gases are different metal salts that evaporated due to extreme heat inside the small bulb) they are prone to damage. When shooting them with 20 kV you can easily change their composition. And it may happen in bulk.
                            When cold startup - you will only "damage" little of them as the initial ignition spark will "touch" some surface material.

I hope it makes some sense...

Comment

• 500SW
                              • Sep 2016

Hi PLP,
                              interesting reading. The two cars I refered to were both OEM factory supplied. It is difficult to verbalise my perception, but the S3 LED headlights do not cast a sharp focused beam. They appear softer or maybe hazy. I think the HID offered a more crystal sharp result.
                              No doubt the future belongs to LED's in a EV world, but for now I love the HID's on the 500

Comment

• TheGodfather
                                • Dec 2016

Hi PLP,
                                interesting reading. The two cars I refered to were both OEM factory supplied. It is difficult to verbalise my perception, but the S3 LED headlights do not cast a sharp focused beam. They appear softer or maybe hazy. I think the HID offered a more crystal sharp result.
                                No doubt the future belongs to LED's in a EV world, but for now I love the HID's on the 500
                                Old thread bump! I just wanted to comment on this last post because I own a 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro Prestige package with the LED headlamps. Personally, they are without a doubt the best headlights I've seen on any car to date. It put all of the following cars I own or recently have owned to shame in the illumination department;

2015 Chevy SS (HID)
                                2013 Ford SHO (HID)
                                2012 VW GTI Autobahn (HID)
                                2010 Evo MR Touring (HID)

I'm also looking for a little clarification regarding the DRLs on a 2015 Abarth. My Bro in law bought me some Slyvania 7443 LED bulbs. My questions are;
                                1) Will these set an error code?
                                2) Do they need resistors for install?

Thanks!
                                - 2015 Fiat Abarth (6spd Auto) *A bunch of mods* SOLD
                                - 2016 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan (8spd Auto)
                                - 2018 Audi S4 3.0L V6 Turbo (8spd Auto)
                                - 2018 Honda Accord Sport (2.0T / 10spd Auto)

Comment