Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

Questions for the Fiat 124 Team

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andree
    Chief Car Looker Upperer
    Lifetime Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by canesice
    Here is a new one to ask..

How come the European version of the Fiat 124 spider gets such a higher documented MPG range? I realize that the car has 20hp less, but I can't believe that explains a 27% (urban) to 50%+ gain (extra urban) in MPG?

European Version: http://www.fiat.co.uk/124-spider/performance urban cycle: 33.2 MPG, Extra-Urban Cycle - 55.4 MPG, Combined Cycle - 44.1 MPG

US Version: http://www.fiatusa.com/en/spider/ up to 26 CITY MPG, UP TO 36 HWY MPG

-----------------------

UPDATE: ok.. I partially answered my own question. Its because the EU measurement uses a imperial gallon which .. 1 US gallon = .83 Imperial gallons.
    However taking .83 of the European MPG .. I get 27 urban and 46 extra -urban. Thats still a large differential at the top.. 36 to 46.
    In the US, Fiat has typically posted estimated mpg that most folks can achieve. For instance, my automatic 2013 500 has an estimated 27 city, 34 highway, 30 combined. When I lived in San Francisco, it was less, and much of my gas was burned going zero mpg...stop lights, stop signs, and parking lot stop and go struggles. I'm now in Arizona, where I easily get 40 mpg in mixed driving, mostly highway. And about 35 mixed driving, mostly around town.

No matter what the estimates are, you will have your own personal route, on which you practice your own style of driving. You may be able to alter the route, change habits, but nothing will beat being in an underpopulated area with open roads everywhere. And nothing will sink you faster than being in metro anywhere, with grid lock, bumper to bumper crawling commute traffic and more cars on the road than the road was designed for.
    I'm a woman. W-O-M-A-N
    Love to help people look for the Fiat they want.
    That's why I call myself "Chief Car Looker Upperer"

Comment

• steve6225
      • Apr 2014

This may have been asked already, but I couldn't find it in the thread. Will the Abarths have the matte black hood and trunk that is in all the photos and videos that I have seen? Or will it be an option?

Comment

• Fiat500USA
        Amministratore
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by steve6225
        This may have been asked already, but I couldn't find it in the thread. Will the Abarths have the matte black hood and trunk that is in all the photos and videos that I have seen? Or will it be an option?
        The anti-glare hood and trunk will be optional. Here are a few links that will help you with answers:

How does the new Fiat 124 Spider stack up against the original which was known for its refined driving performance and elegant, sophisticated good looks.

Number 1 source for Fiat 500, 500e electric, and 500 Abarth information in the U.S. It's all here. Fiat news, info, how to's and much more!

Read through my posts for many answers like this and others:

Enjoy the Forum? Tell a Friend and Please Whitelist us on your Ad Blocker. Thx!

#modifiedabarth modifiedabarths.com
        fiat 500 forum signature
        abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• steve6225
          • Apr 2014

Thanks. That is what I thought, but my dealer believes that the Abarths will come that way.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
            Amministratore
            • Feb 2011

update on the Matte-Black option

Here is an update from a company source on the matte-black anti-glare package for the Spider Abarth:

Abarth Spiders with the matte-black anti-glare package will now all be sent to a central Mopar authorized, Penske paint center near Detroit to have the paint applied. Preliminary info given was the painting would be done at facilities located near the ports, but this was scrapped due to local environmental paint regulations.

fiat 500 forum signature
            abarth500forum.com fiat124spiderforum.com fiat500lusaforum.com fiat500xforum.com

Comment

• stevenvillatoro
              • May 2012

I have a question about the 124 Spider Abarth exhaust. Noise intrusion in the cabin – specifically with the top UP – is my primary concern. Better interior acoustics is one of my principal reasons for buying the 124 Abarth over any ND Miata trim.

With the 8-point noise attenuation protocol, do those measures effectively moderate the Abarth exhaust for relaxed freeway and long-distance driving? My 500 Abarth was a surprisingly quiet freeway cruiser. Will there two settings for the 124 Abarth's exhaust? And when accelerating, as well as when steady cruising, how is the exhaust sound distinct from the 500 Abarth's sound?

Thanks to all. Great to be getting back into the Fiat community!
              Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 09-12-2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                Amministratore
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by stevenvillatoro
                I have a question about the 124 Spider Abarth exhaust. Noise intrusion in the cabin – specifically with the top UP – is my primary concern. Better interior acoustics is one of my principal reasons for buying the 124 Abarth over any ND Miata trim.

With the 8-point noise attenuation protocol, do those measures effectively moderate the Abarth exhaust for relaxed freeway and long-distance driving? My 500 Abarth was a surprisingly quiet freeway cruiser. Will there two settings for the 124 Abarth's exhaust? And when accelerating, as well as when steady cruising, how is the exhaust sound distinct from the 500 Abarth's sound?

Thanks to all. Great to be getting back into the Fiat community!
                Great to hear you're back on the forum! The stock 124 Abarth has a sport exhaust system that is throatier than the Lusso or Classica. The stock 124 Abarth is quieter than our 500 Abarth. The dual mode Record Monza is an option. That exhaust has a muffler bypass feature that is loud and I would say is similar to our 500 Abarth. I drove that with the top down and with a blow-off valve and I would say that it isn't a quiet car.

The stock 124 Abarth was much more subdued, but I didn't drive that with the top up, so can't really say how much louder it is over a regular Spider. I would say the Lusso is like a normal sedan and in my eyes (or ears) and surprisingly quiet for a convertible. It was also very civilized with the top down on the highway especially as the wind buffeting is really tamed. I've had a couple of early 70s 124 Spiders (which were also very refined cars for the time) and the difference in wind buffeting and comfort was astonishing. While I'm mentioning the older car, my only real critique is the original 124 Spiders were roomier.
                Last edited by Fiat500USA; 09-12-2016, 08:08 AM. Reason: fixed last sentence to make more readable

fiat 500 forum signature

Comment

• stevenvillatoro
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Fiat500USA
                  The stock 124 Abarth is quieter than our 500 Abarth. The dual mode Record Monza is an option...

The stock 124 Abarth was much more subdued, but I didn't drive that with the top up...
                  First of all, thanks for the welcome back!

Following up on the quoted comments above, which I greatly appreciate:

Would you judge the 124 Abarth exhaust as 'significantly' quieter, or 'slightly' quieter? Feel free to use your own better descriptors! I've heard the 124 Abarth exhaust in various online clips, but it's hard to know if those were equipped with the Record Monza, or whether the microphone placement is conveying realism. Those videos are showcasing the exhaust sound up close and revving, making it hard to evaluate the sound from a daily-driver perspective.

About top-up noise:

Automotive journalists fail to 'get' that convertible owners don't always drive with the top down. We'd appreciate knowing top-up feedback about blind spots and convertible-induced or -mitigating noises of all sorts, for example. When it rains, when the sun is broiling, on long-distance trips, or in rush-hour freeway traffic, the top-up experience becomes relevant. I'm very encouraged by the large metal panel that Fiat has brought to the 124 from the Miata GT trim, coupled with additional insulation and thicker glass. But when the media doesn't evaluate these features, their writing becomes more fluff than substance. [Rant] The Lusso I drove was a great improvement over my past Miatas with the top up. Conversations in the closed-cabin Lusso could be relaxed, and a Bluetooth phone call would have been comfortably noise-free. Hoping the Abarth will not be far behind in its ability to isolate exhaust noise, for times when you just need to chill.

Nice to have this Q & A thread!
                  Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 09-12-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Fiat500USA
                    Amministratore
                    • Feb 2011

I'm with you on the top up driving. The sun beating down on you can get old! However, one of the most stand out things on the new car was how comfortable the car was to drive with the top down. When I had my Spiders, the top was up a good portion of the time because the wind noise and buffeting was tiring. The new car I drove easily six hours in the California sun at all sorts of speeds at I was struck by the lack of wind buffeting and noise.

As far as how quiet the 124 Abarth is compared to the 500 Abarth, I didn't have the two cars together so I can't say definitively as I don't want to mislead. However, my collective memory is the 124 Abarth was noticeably quieter. In fact I spent a good deal of time with the lead engineer later in the evening going over many of the questions posed here and the conversation turned to the exhaust and how people seemed surprised that the Abarth Spider didn't have the same exhaust note as the 500 Abarth. I was told there were a couple of more bends they had to be dealt with, plus the exhaust is homologated for around the world, where as our 500 Abarth is NAFTA only. This also brings up the point that in Europe, the stock Abarth exhaust is the same one we get, however, it is tossed out at Officine Abarth where the Record Monza is installed. So when you here a sound clip of the European 124 Abarth, it has the Record Monza exhaust. That may partly explain why the sound is different.

fiat 500 forum signature

Comment

• stevenvillatoro
                      • May 2012

Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you!!

Comment

• MrFiat505
                        • Feb 2021

Question for the 124 team. Why are so many vehicles with less than 5k miles losing coolant out of the front freeze plug and water pump and the 1.4L turbos in the 500 Abarth and 500L not doing the same?

Comment