500 Madness

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Abarth - Shifter cable bushing fails at transmission

Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
    The cable on which this bushing fails doesn't have much to do with going into gear as it does on which gate you'd be selecting. Basically, it deals with the left/right motions and not the up/down gear selection itself. It pretty much fails without warning. When mine failed, it drove 100% then when I went to reverse the whole shifter became flaccid. I knew immediately what had happened. Yours might be a different issue.
    Things like this scare me with my main warranty coming to an end and the miles adding up. (Warranty due to time, not miles ending soon though, still at 39K).

Hope the end all solution comes about sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Things like this scare me with my main warranty coming to an end and the miles adding up. (Warranty due to time, not miles ending soon though, still at 39K).

Hope the end all solution comes about sooner rather than later.
    Isn't the warranty 40k miles?
    2013 Rosso Abarth 5spd Bianco 17s Cooper Zeon RS3-A
    General upgrades to replace inferior stock parts that make the car feel "sloppy".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkout View Post
    Yep 4yr/40k. I had another year and 20k left on mine, but I got rid of it because I was tired of driving the 1 1/2hr to the dealer all the time which needed to be towed there with the cable bushing issue. Had enough of it.
    2016 Ceramic Metallic MX-5 w/ Brembo/BBS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,881 Posts
    4yr/50K is how they come when bought new. (Canada is lower/shorter though in case you didn't know).

I added a 7yr 80K but I'd prefer using the factory warranty as much as possible of course.

In case there is any question/doubt...go to the fiat site and under warranty.... http://www.fiatusa.com/en/warranty/

STANDARD COVERAGE
    Drive confidently with Standard 4-Year/50,000-mile Coverage included with your FIAT 500/500 Cabrio/500e+/500L/500X and Abarth Hatch/Abarth Cabrio at no additional cost to you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:

Trunkout (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatanimal View Post
    I'm first inline for durability testing. My zip ties are holding strong, but I'm looking forward to a real fix.
    Im in the same boat right now, Ive been runnning zip tie and duck tape for about 4 months. As soon as a new bushing upgrade is available i will buy it imediately.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loring View Post
    Sorry, thought someone was on that. Yes, it's m6x1.0

Update on the replacement bushings: We should have the prototype completed in about 2 weeks or so. After I check the fitment into the cable end and on the transmission lever, I may need some real world durability testing.
    Subscribed.

If you produce these bushings, I will immediately buy a set. Especially if you do the heavy duty "precise feel" version.

I have a feeling my bushings are damaged. I used the Infamous J&J Short Shift adapter for a couple thousand miles. It mounts on the transmission selector shaft and shortens the throw by changing the fulcrum on the transmission end. However it was a bad design and would hit metal on a 2nd gear shift. Several others have reported they had damage to their shift calbes requiring replacement after using that shifter. In my case, I pulled it and then installed an AAD Short Shifter (which is on the interior end) which should have been fine. However, it had gear engagement issues. So I pulled that.

Now that I'm back to the stock cable hookups, I still have "issues" where sometimes the shifter's movement is stiff, and other times it's loose like it should be. It feels like a the bushing is moving around.

Short version: Yes, I have a feeling I will need this. I don't know if the dealer will warranty my cables when/if they break, but I want this already on hand so I could fix the car in a pinch if I need to.
    2015 Rosso Abarth
    - HEAVILY MODDED - Eurodrive Ph.2

"Most of Alvin's Parts are on Other People's Cars" - NGEN

Thanks
    I don't know what is written on NAFTA manuals, but visual inspection of all bushing, rubber parts, ... is in european manual maintenance scheduled every 30,000 km (18,641 miles) and, if severe use, for example many days suv zero degree Celsius more often.
    The use of a "greas"e or similar as protector is an old trick used in the past, now many dealers prefer directly to replace the parts (payed in warranty by car manufacturer or by the customer post warranty period).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aelfwyne View Post
    Subscribed.

If you produce these bushings, I will immediately buy a set. Especially if you do the heavy duty "precise feel" version.

I have a feeling my bushings are damaged. I used the Infamous J&J Short Shift adapter for a couple thousand miles. It mounts on the transmission selector shaft and shortens the throw by changing the fulcrum on the transmission end. However it was a bad design and would hit metal on a 2nd gear shift. Several others have reported they had damage to their shift calbes requiring replacement after using that shifter. In my case, I pulled it and then installed an AAD Short Shifter (which is on the interior end) which should have been fine. However, it had gear engagement issues. So I pulled that.

Now that I'm back to the stock cable hookups, I still have "issues" where sometimes the shifter's movement is stiff, and other times it's loose like it should be. It feels like a the bushing is moving around.

Short version: Yes, I have a feeling I will need this. I don't know if the dealer will warranty my cables when/if they break, but I want this already on hand so I could fix the car in a pinch if I need to.
    Man I dunno...
    I think the stock 5 speed felt SUPER sloppy and missed gears MUCH more often w/o my shift adapter.
    What you describe above sounds like EVERY 5 speed I've ever driven (approx. 30) sans Honda (any year/model) and a late model MR2.

Overall I believe our C510's are plenty strong... Just the connection TO IT is not that good.
    Shoulda just gave us a dog ring!
    2013 Rosso Abarth 5spd Bianco 17s Cooper Zeon RS3-A
    General upgrades to replace inferior stock parts that make the car feel "sloppy".

Thanks
    Man I dunno...
    I think the stock 5 speed felt SUPER sloppy and missed gears MUCH more often w/o my shift adapter.
    What you describe above sounds like EVERY 5 speed I've ever driven (approx. 30) sans Honda (any year/model) and a late model MR2.

Overall I believe our C510's are plenty strong... Just the connection TO IT is not that good.
    Shoulda just gave us a dog ring!
    When I had the AAD, though, it was so tight that sometimes things just would not line up and I could not even engage a gear. People would be honking at me at stop lights while I was frantically jabbing the shifter back and forth to get into gear. That is something no other AAD user reported. I have a feeling there's slop in my shift cable linkages, likely premature wear on the bushing due to the J&J shifter. I need to pull the battery tray and do an inspection.
    2015 Rosso Abarth
    - HEAVILY MODDED - Eurodrive Ph.2

"Most of Alvin's Parts are on Other People's Cars" - NGEN

Thanks
    Anyone figure out a source for a replacement, short of the whole cable assembly?

I'm out of warranty now, and the usual websites don't seem to have the first year model cable in stock.

thanks!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast