500 Madness

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Abarth - Shifter cable bushing fails at transmission

Thanks
    **Edited for clarity**

I was planning this go the route of heim joints and modifying the arms to remove the balls and use bolts rather than spend $230 on the shifter assembly but my transmission started slipping out of third gear so I decided to avoid Chrysler of Canada denying a warranty repair on the grounds that I put an aftermarket part onto the tranny. Here's some pics of the pathetic bushings:

Seriously. This is completely unacceptable. I also think that installation was to blame, after removing it from the ball joint, the bushing housing's relaxed position was 90-degrees to what it should be, which is to say the bushing should have been threaded an extra 90-degrees on the rod. This put an inordinate amount of stress on the rubber and once it heated/cooled a few times in that spot it finally sh!t the bed. God I can't wait to sell this car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mecheng; 01-11-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mecheng For This Useful Post:

slowbird (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mecheng View Post
    My transmission started slipping out of third gear so I decided to avoid Chrysler of Canada denying a warranty repair on the grounds that I put an aftermarket part onto the tranny. Here's some pics of the pathetic bushings:

Seriously. This is completely unacceptable. I also think that installation was to blame, after removing it from the ball joint, the bushing housing's relaxed position was 90-degrees to what it should be, which is to say the bushing should have been threaded an extra 90-degrees on the rod. This put an inordinate amount of stress on the rubber and once it heated/cooled a few times in that spot it finally sh!t the bed. God I can't wait to sell this car.
    You installed an aftermarket Shifter/ ****ty adapter and you knew that FCA wouldn't repair the car under warranty... way to go!!!
    2016 Jeep GC SRT392
    Redline Tri Coat
    Black Chrome Vapor Wheels
    Hellcat Brembo Brake Kit
    8 Speed ZF
    --.-/ --- MPH - Bone Stock

"I thought you had a HEMI. Yeah, I had to have a footprint gas pedal installed. So I stole this pile."

2013 500 ABARTH
    Nero

2014 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, 2nd G Street
    2015 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared
    2016 SCCA Solo II Texas Region, Champion E Prepared

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddySRT View Post
    You installed an aftermarket Shifter/ ****ty adapter and you knew that FCA wouldn't repair the car under warranty... way to go!!!
    I see now that my original post was unclear. I was contemplating buying heim joints and modifying the arms to remove the balls and use bolts instead (much cheaper than buying the whole shift linkage assembly for two bushings); however, before I could get to doing it the tranny started slipping. Obviously if I went with the modified linkage and brought the car in for repair they could have cited that adjustment as grounds to deny the claim. So instead I bit the bullet and bought the whole linkage.

Thanks
    I shot a home video of changing one of the hyme joint bushings. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/kKP2DD047Qc

Thanks
    And what annoys me most is the fact that the replacement bushing I got isn't even the updated part with the new green over-moulding on the smaller of the two bushings as seen in the above video. Balls.

Thanks
    It's normal for shift cables to generate a small amount of twist after some usage. The cables are twisted steel, so after some tension over time, the 'stretch' shows itself as 'twist'. For non threaded cable ends (automatics, typically), we recommend replacing the cable if there's more than 45 of twist. This isn't the case with threaded ends which can be adjusted for.
    Ascension Engineering - Creators of BushingFix.com

Thanks
    So by this logic we (or the dealership) are expected to inspect and adjust these bushings periodically? Seems unnecessarily labor intensive...

Thanks
    No, that wasn't the argument I was making. The OEM bushings fail even on vehicles without cable twist. During service with our repair kit, adjust it out, where possible. No big deal.
    Ascension Engineering - Creators of BushingFix.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loring View Post
    No, that wasn't the argument I was making. The OEM bushings fail even on vehicles without cable twist. During service with our repair kit, adjust it out, where possible. No big deal.
    Did you guys ever release the revised Manual Trans Abarth bushing you were talking about? I seem to remember there was a problem with the initial design and you had to redo it, delaying availability.
    2015 Rosso Abarth
    Mods: Ngen FMIC | El Gato Braces | GFB DV+ | Forge BOP | EC V4.1 Intake | NeuF Torque Arm Insert | ATM/Depo Boost Gauge | TWM Short Shifter | Brisk Plugs | MPX Hood Struts | Rally Armor Flaps | Okada Coils | CPR 30mm Rear Torsion Bar | Koni Yellow Rears | MPX Rear Exhaust | Chipbox | RRM Catted Downpipe | NGEN Performance Turbo by G-Pop

"Most of Alvin's Parts are on Other People's Cars" - NGEN

Thanks
    Hi, I'm in dire and ugent need to have the bushing replaced. I see on your website that the FM1 has been made unavailable, can you still sell one? Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Loring View Post

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast