500 Madness

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Abarth - Shifter cable bushing fails at transmission

Thanks

2013 Abarth - Shifter cable bushing fails at transmission

I was driving my wife's 2013 Abarth (30k miles, bone stock) and parking it (going for reverse to back into a space) when the shift lever just flopped over (no resistance) and I could not find reverse. I was able to get the car into 3rd gear and got it home. Pulled of the center console and everything looked fine, pulled of the driver front wheel and I could see that the shifter cable had pulled off the lever that attaches to the transmission. Does anyone know of any shifter bushings that could could be used to reattach the shifter cable? Only other recourse is to replace the shifter cable but that is a lot more work. Thanks.

[edit added] It had been hard to get into reverse fro some time, my guess is that the bushing was failing and the additional slop made it difficult to get into reverse.
    Tie Your shoes, Drive your car, Love your girl. -WP

2013 Abarth
    1980 X1/9
    1977 124 Spider
    1974 124TC Wagon

Thanks
    2013 Abarth (30k miles, bone stock)
    Wouldn't this be a warranty fix?

Thanks
    Happen to me
    Fix on warrancy by the studio
    When i will be old i want to be Enzo

Thanks
    Pardon warranty
    When i will be old i want to be Enzo

Thanks
    It is but on the other hand I have read so many horror stories about Fiat service that I am tempted to just pay the $125 for a new cable and install it myself. Installing a new bushing would be really simple and cheap fix but apparently no aftermarket companies make upgraded shift cable bushings (transmission side) for this car?

Quote Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
    Wouldn't this be a warranty fix?

2013 Abarth
    1980 X1/9
    1977 124 Spider
    1974 124TC Wagon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    It is but on the other hand I have read so many horror stories about Fiat service that I am tempted to just pay the $125 for a new cable and install it myself. Installing a new bushing would be really simple and cheap fix but apparently no aftermarket companies make upgraded shift cable bushings (transmission side) for this car?
    Depends on where you're located. Most members either have good experiences with their studio, or bad.

Beware of Hendrick...
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Rosso

UniChip Q | ATM Boost Gauge | R3T V2.1 Intake | El Gato Chassis Braces | NEU-F Torque Mount Insert | GFB DV+

Have YOU performed a boost leak test yet?

Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
    Depends on where you're located. Most members either have good experiences with their studio, or bad.

Beware of Hendrick...
    Really, I have had multiple times of great service from Hendrick. I did work there for a short period.
    2012 Rosso Abarth , Supersprint turboback exhaust, RRM chasis braces, Euro-Drive Phase 1.1+ ,Eurocompulsion V4 CAI, Bilstein coilovers, Nuef rear torsion bar, TWM Short shifter,TWM shift knob, CPR engine cover, Go fast Bits DV+ diverter, Nuef torque arm damper, ATM FMIC, Rear seat delete, Wood Bros armrest from italy, Norcal SS Custom Pillar Gauge
    2013 Rosso Abarth Parts car due to a rollover

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    yes me too #DesertFiat had my car for just an alignment on the rack and didn't even align it ? Said it was close enough ? Really? And they didn't want to fix my warped ..on a brand new car ... Sunroof ... And my mysterious reverse issues they say are normal for the car to flyyyy lol ! I don't first them ! Lol that's just me.. I was married to a mechanics and ran a body shop .. And why would a machanic try and replace my sunroof ? That's a bodyshop job ? Ohh I'm worried lol needs good mechanic here lol ! No to #DesertFIAT ! Lol

Thanks
    My Bushing just did the same thing! I had to ziptie and duct tape it in place because the part is on backorder. I cant understand why there are no aftermarket bushing options... it would be so easy to just press a new bushing on and snap it in place rather than to replace the whole shifter cable.

Thanks
    RoadRace Motorsports
    I fixed the broken shift cable. It was broken where the shift cable eye bushing attaches to the transaxle at the lateral shifter arm.

I ordered an entire Fiat 500 Abarth shifter cable (US$125) and was able to remove the bushing from the replacement cable and connect it to the original cable. This was MUCH easier than replacing the entire shift cable. I will post up some pics of the broken bushing, the replacement bushing and a brief how-to guide.

I think that engine heat might have caused the rubber bushing to prematurely fail but that is just a guess. Also, the original bushing was not installed with the best alignment possible and the corresponding strain may have accelerated wear.

2013 Abarth
    1980 X1/9
    1977 124 Spider
    1974 124TC Wagon

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast